• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

I am the founder and president of CVA . . .

CAC, a coin service that places its holographic sticker on holders that are considered "premium-quality" have added between 10 - 30% of value to those coins. Why? Because they have superior eye appeal. Humans beings always seek and gravitate towards people or things with higher visual appeal. Comic books are no exception. Moreover, we all want value for our hard earned money.

An "exceptional" sticker on the outside of a comic with unseen interior defects is pointless, and bad for our hobby.

CAC, a coin service that places its holographic sticker on holders that are considered "premium-quality" have added between 10 - 30% of value to those coins. Why? Because they have superior eye appeal. Humans beings always seek and gravitate towards people or things with higher visual appeal. Comic books are no exception. Moreover, we all want value for our hard earned money.

An "exceptional" sticker on the outside of a comic with unseen interior defects is pointless, and bad for our hobby.

I think anyone paying more for a book because of this sticker is naive at best and gullible at worst.

However, if it's going to gain me an additional 30%, I'm all for it.

A fool and their money are soon parted. lol

I think anyone paying more for a book because of this sticker is naive at best and gullible at worst.

However, if it's going to gain me an additional 30%, I'm all for it.

A fool and their money are soon parted. lol

I'm off to the sticker store to get my own stickers made. Why would anyone bother to pay someone else to put a sticker on it? Oh yeah.... A fool and his money....

In the coin world, CAC stickers (especially the gold sticker versus the standard green) can add a lot more than 10-30%. Otherwise common stuff with eye appeal that gets "green beaned" frequently goes double or triple, and "gold beaners" gets STUPID money. I've seen 10X guide prices.

The coins so annointed DO have superior eye appeal and would normally fetch a healthy premium without the sticker (from a knowledgeable buyer), but the sticker is enabling less knowledgeable buyers to simply chase stickers, not LEARN HOW TO GRADE!!!

When an 1883-S MS63 Morgan silver dollar lists @ $2400, a MS64 is @$4850, a MS65 runs @$32,500 and a MS66 is $60,000... there's a HUGE amount of money at stake on "high end for the grade", "solid for the grade", and "just the grade"...

It's this kind of nonsense and hair splitting (over thousands of dollars, mind you) that has soured me on coins over the years...

Hi Bruce.

I remember back when I was with Zen Comics, there was a buyer who would get multiple copies of an issue in a given grade. He then would compare them directly with each other and keep the best and sell the rest. I believe this client thought there are copies in the same grade with differing eye appeal and he was looking for superior/exceptional copies for his collection. I know that some collectors try to cherry pick nice copies for the grade to add to their collections. This service can help those collectors especially in an online environment when the book can't be held in hand.

Hi Tomis,

Long time. :hi: Congrats on your new venture.

I did indeed collect in the manner you described, and that effort payed off very well years later when I had those "best of the best" 9.6's pressed and re-subbed and received 9.8's on many serious keys.

I understand the point of the service and don't dispute some buyers will like it. I'm not clear on a couple of details of your new service if you care to elaborate.

1. I already posed... does your service obtain CGC grader notes to determine if there are any noteworthy interior defects, or is your evaluation based on the front & back cover only? Having the notes, and factoring that into your evaluation would add value since CGC charges for the notes now. And, yes, I realize most make these evaluations without obtaining notes and I may have overstated the need.

2. I'm not clear if your service evaluates "eye appeal" AND "structure" to determine if the book is "exceptional"? If it's just eye appeal, then it's not necessarily a service tailored to the "crack and re-sub" market. If so, it sounds more "collector" focussed, although eye appeal is also very subjective. If structure is factored in as well, then those seeking upgrades would like it... if they could obtain the book without the price being driven up.

Anyway, good luck

1. We do not use CGC notes for multiple reasons. The main reason is that CGC does not always record the notes for books submitted and thus books we review would be on uneven footing. In other words any book that CGC did not record notes for would be at an advantage.

2. We evaluate both eye appeal and structure. We do not necessarily endorse a book just because it can be upgraded. A potential upgrade could actually have low eye appeal in its current state for the grade given.

I did view the book via scan and picture however, when viewed in person was not as nice as the photos suggested.

In addition, I agree you can view the book for yourself for eye appeal however, if or when you attend to sell that book . . . . the last person that will believe you is the person looking to Buy the book from you.

Even if we both knew how to grade accurately. . . does that really mean there is no need for CGC? No.

Its a third party objective unbiased opinion that is the value added feature.

There are numerous comic books, even in ultra high grade, assigned the same grade, which may be technically correct, but in fact they are less appealing to collectors. For example, there are 200 examples of Hulk 181 in 9.6 - are they all the same? Of course not. Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctly exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap.

There has been numerous times when I purchased a comic book online but was disappointment when I received it. This service is meant to be a voice, an advocate if you will, for the collector.

We are currently working with auction houses and dealers. ComicLink will be the first of many. Pricing tiers will also be finalized soon.

Please feel free to stop by booth #307 at the NYCC. I would like the opportunity to address your concerns.

Awesome, so in a nutshell you are "verifying" the "verification" of a comic?

Giving redundancy a bad name (thumbs u

I hate to make a blanket statement but this really does sound retarded.

There are numerous comic books, even in ultra high grade, assigned the same grade, which may be technically correct, but in fact they are less appealing to collectors. For example, there are 200 examples of Hulk 181 in 9.6 - are they all the same? Of course not. Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctly exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap.

There has been numerous times when I purchased a comic book online but was disappointment when I received it. This service is meant to be a voice, an advocate if you will, for the collector.

We are currently working with auction houses and dealers. ComicLink will be the first of many. Pricing tiers will also be finalized soon.

Please feel free to stop by booth #307 at the NYCC. I would like the opportunity to address your concerns.

Awesome, so in a nutshell you are "verifying" the "verification" of a comic?

Giving redundancy a bad name (thumbs u

I hate to make a blanket statement but this really does sound retarded.

:lol:

But how do you really feel? hm

I did view the book via scan and picture however, when viewed in person was not as nice as the photos suggested.

In addition, I agree you can view the book for yourself for eye appeal however, if or when you attend to sell that book . . . . the last person that will believe you is the person looking to Buy the book from you.

Even if we both knew how to grade accurately. . . does that really mean there is no need for CGC? No.

Its a third party objective unbiased opinion that is the value added feature.

But you aren't assigning a grade like CGC does. It's already in a slab.

I'm considering a slabbing service for graded books that have been verified to be really, really, really, really good looking.

I already did that. You can't take my idea and try to make money with it. That would be unethical.

Hold On. There is not a monopoly on this service yet. I was at my local printer and 32 people were ahead of me getting stickers and decals for their new grading services. One of the guys said that each new certified book comes with a free ring pop. That is PURE genius!

I love ring pops, and puppies, fairy tales, bunny rabbits, and ice cream, and heck I forgot what the point of this thread was....

In all seriousness I do not see the value of this service. However I can see how some people would. The main problem is how do you assess a value added for this service? The example about mis-wraps makes sense but a 9.8 book with a miswrap is still a 9.8 book. It does not bother me so I would not be bothered if the 9.8 I bought had one...I think this service is geared to the super collector looking for perfection on every copy.

I am sure to get a few of these newly graded books one day soon. I will not mind the sticker on my newly purchased book. I just hope it was free.

I'm considering a slabbing service for graded books that have been verified to be really, really, really, really good looking.

I already did that. You can't take my idea and try to make money with it. That would be unethical.

Hold On. There is not a monopoly on this service yet. I was at my local printer and 32 people were ahead of me getting stickers and decals for their new grading services. One of the guys said that each new certified book comes with a free ring pop. That is PURE genius!

I love ring pops, and puppies, fairy tales, bunny rabbits, and ice cream, and heck I forgot what the point of this thread was....

I grade ring pops