• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

My concern is that these stickers go on every comic you sell, along with a 30% price hike hm

If there's a 'pricing tier' involved, there's vested interest in giving out as many of these holograms as possible.

Not necessarily. The pricing tier is going to be based on comic age and value, just like at CGC. Stickers and rejects will be charged the same, I'm sure.

My concern is that these stickers go on every comic you sell, along with a 30% price hike hm

If there's a 'pricing tier' involved, there's vested interest in giving out as many of these holograms as possible.

For a short time, they will be sought after, but once every book has been stickered as 'exceptional', the jig will be up and our stickering friends will move on to another shell game venture.

Exactly!

i cant imagine someone sending 10 books and this company deeming them all as not "exceptional" and giving out ZERO stickers. Whatever "pricing tier" that person paid, i cant imagine him paying it again hm

"If there's a 'pricing tier' involved, there's vested interest in giving out as many of these holograms as possible."

This recommendation would lead to no spread and thus no demand for the service and ultimately no revenue. Most of the members of this board know there can be a qualitative difference between books of the same grade. Some collectors in fact like certain pedigrees because they believe that pedigree has the qualities that they want for a book in a given grade. The collector uses the Pedigree as a stand in for excellence for the grade.

If refurbished books are more sticker worthy, then wouldn't the non-stickered books go for a premium? (shrug)

Doesn't "potential" trump "exceptional" in this whacky market, grade for grade?

If he really expects a 30% price bump, what is a typical price bump from say a 9.2 to a 9.4?

"If there's a 'pricing tier' involved, there's vested interest in giving out as many of these holograms as possible."

This recommendation would lead to no spread and thus no demand for the service and ultimately no revenue. Most of the members of this board know there can be a qualitative difference between books of the same grade. Some collectors in fact like certain pedigrees because they believe that pedigree has the qualities that they want for a book in a given grade. The collector uses the Pedigree as a stand in for excellence for the grade.

Well, thats not true whatsoever but interesting to hear you say since that sounds EXACTLY like what you are trying to do. Pay for your sticker as a stand in for excellence for the grade hm

Again though, what would disqualify you for a sticker of excellence? Miswraps, date stamps, writing or none of those definitely? If i see a book with a miswrap and one of those stickers, i know my 1st thought is gonna be meh

lets put this to rest

We get the young lady from Flaming_Telepath signature to in person kiss all the realy nice looking books in our colections

Seems reasonable and fun and a good idea when the wife is away !!

Miswraps kill me. I don't care if I can shave with the corners and the book is as vibrant as the day it came off the press, a 9.8 should never ever have one.

A 9.8 should never have a miswrap? Why not, if that is the way it came off the presses, and there is no structural damage? I agree it is less desirable, but grading is about structural integrity. What if the whole print run is miswrapped? Are we going to grade paper quality (not color but newsprint vs glossy)? For cover art we don't like?

Our grading system suffers greatly from the terminology being inherited from coin collecting. We cannot have the same expectations for objects made as paper as we do for those made of metal.

Comics are printed, not minted.

Miswraps kill me. I don't care if I can shave with the corners and the book is as vibrant as the day it came off the press, a 9.8 should never ever have one.

A 9.8 should never have a miswrap? Why not, if that is the way it came off the presses, and there is no structural damage? I agree it is less desirable, but grading is about structural integrity. What if the whole print run is miswrapped? Are we going to grade paper quality (not color but newsprint vs glossy)? For cover art we don't like?

Our grading system suffers greatly from the terminology being inherited from coin collecting. We cannot have the same expectations for objects made as paper as we do for those made of metal.

Oh, i agree a miswrap can and should be a 9.8. What i want to know is can a mis-wrap be a GOLD STICKER 9.8? hm

Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctly exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap.

There has been numerous times when I purchased a comic book online but was disappointment when I received it.

1. There is no gap. The consumer is the third party responsible for assessing "eye appeal" within any given grade. I understand that some 9.6 comics will look better than others. You used Hulk 181 as an example. We all know that many of these comics are horribly miswrapped. When I've shopped around for copies of this book, I kept an eye out for this "flaw" and simply refused to purchase comics that displayed this trait. I don't need to pay for someone else to judge eye appeal. I can do that for myself.

2. That's what you get for buying a comic online without looking at a scan or photograph.

I hope this business venture goes the way of the ghost. It's silly at best...a scam at worst.

Just my two cents.

Hi Bruce.

I remember back when I was with Zen Comics, there was a buyer who would get multiple copies of an issue in a given grade. He then would compare them directly with each other and keep the best and sell the rest. I believe this client thought there are copies in the same grade with differing eye appeal and he was looking for superior/exceptional copies for his collection. I know that some collectors try to cherry pick nice copies for the grade to add to their collections. This service can help those collectors especially in an online environment when the book can't be held in hand.

Hi Tomis,

Long time. :hi: Congrats on your new venture.

I did indeed collect in the manner you described, and that effort payed off very well years later when I had those "best of the best" 9.6's pressed and re-subbed and received 9.8's on many serious keys.

I understand the point of the service and don't dispute some buyers will like it. I'm not clear on a couple of details of your new service if you care to elaborate.

1. I already posed... does your service obtain CGC grader notes to determine if there are any noteworthy interior defects, or is your evaluation based on the front & back cover only? Having the notes, and factoring that into your evaluation would add value since CGC charges for the notes now. And, yes, I realize most make these evaluations without obtaining notes and I may have overstated the need.

2. I'm not clear if your service evaluates "eye appeal" AND "structure" to determine if the book is "exceptional"? If it's just eye appeal, then it's not necessarily a service tailored to the "crack and re-sub" market. If so, it sounds more "collector" focussed, although eye appeal is also very subjective. If structure is factored in as well, then those seeking upgrades would like it... if they could obtain the book without the price being driven up.

Anyway, good luck

Oh, and I think calling this a "scam" is missing the point as well as erroneous and needlessly inflammatory.

Call it what it is; another shortcut for clueless "investors".

The idea that a "collector" would need yet another party to designate desirability to a book is hilarious. I would find the whole thing offensive if I took this stupid hobby seriously any longer

I see a demand for this service. Who would pay extra for a "CVA approved" book? The newbies, the uneducated, and the lazy. There are plenty of viable businesses that cater to these groups.

Who is going to submit books for such screening? Anyone who thinks they can make money doing so, and this would only come if such books come to demand a premium (the truth is, nice examples already demand a premium without a sticker).

I still say an assessment cannot be made without handling the books or at least seeing the graders' notes.

I'm not arguing the merits of my personal opinions. They are just that. I used that example to illustrate the inherent problem of a service assigning eye appeal stickers.

If a book had a super awesome looking sticker affixed and had a horrible miswrap, it would be silly, to me.

I have these two things on my face called eyes that I use to help decide what I find appealing or not. I don't need to pay someone to tell me if I find something attractive.

If you guys are as legit as say the CAC thingy is with coins then yes this could succeed. I don't think it will though for just the simple fact that comic nerds are sooo much more nerdy than coin nerds and we prefer to judge the damn eye appeal for ourselves. :)