• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should a confessed comic book thief be allowed to continue selling on Ebay?

71 posts in this topic

is it worth a concerted effort to get this felon sent off to his just rewards?

I guess it depends on if he's selling anything I want, and what he's asking for it.

A delicious chocolate center of hobby truth, covered by a thin candy shell of sarcasm. :cloud9:

A Snickers bar?

And I hope this thief goes to jail and has a :censored: life. Karma up the arse.

Hey Rich, glad you got your money back too. It's pretty bold to threaten to sue over something he has confessed to being, but then this POS thought he could get away with selling highly identifiable stolen books on eBay too...

Thanks Art. Not too surprised he tried to play tough guy. Probably trying to soak every last dollar out of those magic card auctions, which I'm told he also stole from Comic Book World. Given the dollar amount of the books he stole, something like $20K, he should be looking at some real time. And in jail "cracking a slab" I'm sure has a different meaning. ;)

I understand the folks at CBW were told to expect a year of probation or less.

That would be ridiculous. Maybe we should write the judge and ask that he be banned from using the Internet for a few years too.

That would be ridiculous. Maybe we should write the judge and ask that he be banned from using the Internet for a few years too.

Greg Reece's theft charge was dropped because they said the guy can't afford to pay the fine.

doh!

Greg Reece's theft charge was dropped because they said the guy can't afford to pay the fine.

doh!

Then they should do the time.

doh!

Jails are so full in big cities with small crimes that they are literally dropping chargings and lowering penalties in an effort to clear people out of the system. No joke. You're usually lucky if someone does 10 or 20% of the time.

It's insane.

doh!

Jails are so full in big cities with small crimes that they are literally dropping chargings and lowering penalties in an effort to clear people out of the system. No joke. You're usually lucky if someone does 10 or 20% of the time.

It's insane.

Is that how you got out so fast? :shrug:

doh!

It's insane.

Is that how you got out so fast? :shrug:

Silly Lizard, the judge ruled Roy was too pretty to put in general population and it would only feed his attention seeking behavior. They let him off with probation and a promise not to kick any more dudes in the ear.

Hey Rich, glad you got your money back too. It's pretty bold to threaten to sue over something he has confessed to being, but then this POS thought he could get away with selling highly identifiable stolen books on eBay too...

Thanks Art. Not too surprised he tried to play tough guy. Probably trying to soak every last dollar out of those magic card auctions, which I'm told he also stole from Comic Book World. Given the dollar amount of the books he stole, something like $20K, he should be looking at some real time. And in jail "cracking a slab" I'm sure has a different meaning. ;)

That would be nice but that dude will probably be ripping off some other employer in the near future. Which is sad but I am glad you got the money bad.

I had gathered from Chunky's post about it that the seller WAS the real thief. I am glad everyone here can see this guy is a thief and warn others

doh!

:censored: ridiculous. A dropped charge. That means a clean record right? They couldn't just put him on probation and ding his background with a misdemeanor? Was it a comic theft? I really think the courts look at comic related crimes as small fry and harmless stuff. I wonder if he would have been released if he were stealing Nike's from Foot Locker?

doh!

Are you talking about the books from WWOhio.

doh!

Jeff,

There is a thread somewhere on this but as I am awful with the search function here is a synopsis:

This was a book stolen 3 years ago in NYC. Caught the guy red handed. I was persistant in following up with the DA.The DA kept telling me "you'll have to come to NY to prosecute" And I kept said, "no problem, I want to put this guy away". This BS dance went on for the better part of a year before the DA finally confessed that there was no way they were going to prosecute. When I asked why, he said "because the guy couldn't make restitution". I said "what about jail time?" He basically said "look, we're too busy with more serious crime". This was a $3,000 comic mind you. Still surreal to me that you can steal an item worth (at least) up to $3,000, get caught and walk away scot free. No doubt he is still out there stealing himself silly.

doh!

Jeff,

There is a thread somewhere on this but as I am awful with the search function here is a synopsis:

This was a book stolen 3 years ago in NYC. Caught the guy red handed. I was persistant in following up with the DA.The DA kept telling me "you'll have to come to NY to prosecute" And I kept said, "no problem, I want to put this guy away". This BS dance went on for the better part of a year before the DA finally confessed that there was no way they were going to prosecute. When I asked why, he said "because the guy couldn't make restitution". I said "what about jail time?" He basically said "look, we're too busy with more serious crime". This was a $3,000 comic mind you. Still surreal to me that you can steal an item worth (at least) up to $3,000, get caught and walk away scot free. No doubt he is still out there stealing himself silly.

Isn't there any complaint or appeal process through the Attorney's Office to review the decision and/or the conduct of public defender handling your case?

doh!

Jeff,

That blows.

doh!

Jeff,

Isn't there any complaint or appeal process through the Attorney's Office to review the decision and/or the conduct of public defender handling your case?

+1 no kidding. That kind of attitude by the DA is worth complaining about.

You should be able to garnish wages in a situation like this to get the fine. That also has the benefit of letting their employer know that they have a thief on the payroll. But that would probably be considered cruel and unusual...

doh!

Jeff,

They are too busy with serious crimes...you know...like busting people who like to smoke a little weed every now and then.

doh!

Jeff,

They are too busy with serious crimes...you know...like busting people who like to smoke a little weed every now and then.

Right? I think they should have done something seriously 3k? I have a friend who did months in jail on a trumped up charge of stealing a powder compact at Rite Aid.

So if NOT actually stealing an item costing less than $10 can put you in jail for a few months..stealing a 3k book should lock you away for awhile.

I do agree this scammer seller thief will probably get off with something less stinging than an Arch slap..and continue fleecing anyone unlucky enough to hire him.

An update for everyone.

The perp had his day in court. He was sentenced to a 6-month suspended sentence and two years probation. Comic Book World got back around $17k in merchandise and the perp's father paid another $16-17k for the items that were sold. That included the MGTC cards he was selling on ebay. There is an unknown amount of additional missing merchandise but who knows if he stole it or if someone shoplifted it. Regardless, justice was surprisingly swift thanks to Detective Pat Cunningham of the Florence Police Department. Given what Greg Reece got out of his situation, I think the good guys won hands down on this one.

But in a shocking display of cajones, the guy is back selling MGTC on ebay.

Gargux the Felon Appearing on Ebay