• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megacon

462 posts in this topic

I skipped MC today to go and see some gators. Had a good time yesterday; met Joeypost, picked up comics and gave him some more, and managed to run into Joey at nearly every dealer's booth after that.

After waiting 45 mins or so in the "advance ticket" line, watching people who did not pre-order waltz into an empty to room to buy tickets, then get in immediately, I hustled to CGC and made it in before the cutoff. Sorry for those that weren't so lucky. I wondered - even though CGC said it was an all-weekend cutoff - if they weren't holding a few spots back for Saturday, but I guess not. Must have been all of those X-Force #1's I had signed. ;)

This is only my second "big con" and the first since I learned to focus my purchases, but it seemed like there weren't as many deals here as at smaller shows (go figure, right). There was also a severe lack of comics post-1985 except for some key moderns on the walls. That is more indicative of shows in general, with most modern pickups coming from LCS's. I saw a single MInd MGMT #! (the variant, at that), 0 Sixth Gun, and not even a graded Chew #1.

I still had a good time and am going back for another quick look on Sunday. Maybe the pickings will be better. I also planned a few more days in the sun for Disney and Universal - and my grades so far have been above par - so I'll call it a win.

Pre-P.S. - Did anyone on the floor notice a booth selling small boxes (holds about 30 comics) I can use to travel back home with?

-- dave

Also kind of disappointed almost nobody had any current stuff. Some people didn't even know what Helheim was. I didn't see a single Sixth Gun book in boxes or on display. Very few peter panzerfaust and no Nowhere Men...

I definitely agree about there not being any modern stuff. What made it worse was none of the dealers were really interested in them today either. Definitely makes me want to set up next year.

Same, I am going to contact them this week about a space.

I was able to pick up a decent copy of Iron Man 55 and my 9th copy of Captain Marvel 33 :headbang:

Definitely agree about no moderns. I had a buddy trying to pick up a New52 Superman #1 for Perez to sign, and no one had any. He searched a good bit and was able to find a #5.

The big booth right in the middle of the room had some Saga, but yeah. Most everyone was trying to cater to Neal Adams being there, I'm guessing.

I enjoyed the show. I didn't go today but Fri and Sat were good.

I was hoping to see more boardies but it was just crazy packed on Sat.

My only criticism is the long wait to pick up your prepaid wrist band. That took 40 minutes. But we met lots of interesting cos players!

Friday and Sunday were great. Saturday was way too packed though. I got my onsite stuff back around 4PM on Sunday; 3 9.6s and 9 9.8s :banana: . I'm amazed I got 10 SS for onsite when this was my first real time submitting stuff at a show. It was great meeting other boardies and hanging out with Doug and James (dscott and jwalker).

Strangest moment at the show: when a guy dressed up as Slender Man came up to me and kept pointing at my Portal shirt for a good minute. He didn't say anything. I'm guessing he liked it? I just walked away eventually.

Just wanted to thank all the boardies I met. This was a great show for me both as a collector and as an artist.

I will find some time in the next few days to give a full report in the general section.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jose Marzan Jr (Y the last man) and this dude was awesome. Down to earth and had loads of quality OA on his table. After a solid hour conversation, I had him do a batman for me. Blown away by his choice!

D0DB3CED-6E56-48A9-B580-AA62AAB31F17-30390-0000080CCA3F64A1.jpg

I also finally met Sajad Shah (a fellow boardie.) Dude just puts out top notch sketch after top notch sketch. He hooked me up w/ this Batman. His next opp better sell out in an hour.

C9FC3E15-53D6-46BB-9DB9-A7DA8F0A7702-30390-0000080CD0C45D1E.jpg

My favorite moment:

My brother got me a bday gift (a little over a week away.) He doesn't collect Batman but he knew that this would be a great gift for me.

A0864504-D4AA-438A-9F3D-8E7118B49B1C-30390-0000080CC5A46EE2.jpg

Least favorite:

Tie between the lack of modern books (raws) and the fact it ended already...