• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiz Comics #2 (#1) CGC 9.0

148 posts in this topic

The (to date) highest graded unrestored Whiz Comics #1 will be up for sale in the next ComicConnect auction in November/ December. The unreal 9.0 ( :ohnoez: ) with off-white to white pages was just graded on Oct., 23rd

Not sure if this copy has been around in a different grade, but it looks great!

Link

whi1.1215a.jpg

whi1.1215b.jpg

George.

That is an amazing copy. Only one that I've seen that was nicer was the Mile High copy. Here is a picture of John Snyder holding it in his office back in 1995. I took the picture in the pre-digital camera era, and a scanner wasn't an option, so sorry for the poor photo. You'll just have to trust me when I tell you the book looked and felt brand spanking new

MileHighWhiz.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Very Nice! [/font] :applause:

Anyone think this book will hit 7 figures ? (shrug)

Only comparable sale is the 6.0 going for 176k recently.

I still consider that sale an "anomoly".... now, there was a legitimate underbidder...but I had a long discussion with this indvidual and they admitted to getting "caught up"...I asked him/her why if they were willing to pay/bid 175K for a 6.0, they wouldn't jump on an almost identical 5.5 at 40K less that is available in the market place, and that was their response (was no longer worth it to them, got carried away and was thankful they didn't win at that price)... what most forget or never knew, is (I believe Metro or someone else can confirm) that just a few months before this book went to auction, it was available at Metro's booth in SDCC for 45K and went unsold (I think that was the price, I remember looking at it and considering making an offer...might have even been 60K, but it was no where near the price it auctioned for)

I see this 9.0 copy being worth north of 250K just on principle alone, and if you try to use the 6.0 sale as a benchmark, folks would say 500K...will be fun to watch...incredibly rare book unrestored, and obviously in nosebleed stature at that grade... kudos to metro for uncovering

That's interesting as it really makes me wonder if these auctions aren't creating a little bit of a bubble.If not that then it really means you should be looking for bargains in the Golden Age lists of major dealers.

This copy is gorgeous though and so iconic it deserves a great price. But who will pony up a quarter million for a nearly forgotten hero? He is certainly not a known entity in modern day pop culture. I think that will drag the price down. Too bad this wasn't Earth S or it would be going for over a million while everyone wondered whatever happened to Superman.

Dream Scenario - You win this book at auction and DC / Time Warner announces a major reboot of the character with a major motion picture to be released next year. Captain Marvel is on top again! OK, time to wake up and go back to work.

Or you just win if because you fondly remember reading it as a kid and love the book.

:cloud9:

Call me crazy but next to Marvel #1 there are few books I'd rather own more in high grade, unrestored.

It's all about the memories. :cloud9: (thumbs u

I still consider that sale an "anomoly".... now, there was a legitimate underbidder...but I had a long discussion with this indvidual and they admitted to getting "caught up"...I asked him/her why if they were willing to pay/bid 175K for a 6.0, they wouldn't jump on an almost identical 5.5 at 40K less that is available in the market place, and that was their response (was no longer worth it to them, got carried away and was thankful they didn't win at that price)... what most forget or never knew, is (I believe Metro or someone else can confirm) that just a few months before this book went to auction, it was available at Metro's booth in SDCC for 45K and went unsold (I think that was the price, I remember looking at it and considering making an offer...might have even been 60K, but it was no where near the price it auctioned for)

I see this 9.0 copy being worth north of 250K just on principle alone, and if you try to use the 6.0 sale as a benchmark, folks would say 500K...will be fun to watch...incredibly rare book unrestored, and obviously in nosebleed stature at that grade... kudos to metro for uncovering

That's interesting as it really makes me wonder if these auctions aren't creating a little bit of a bubble.If not that then it really means you should be looking for bargains in the Golden Age lists of major dealers.

This copy is gorgeous though and so iconic it deserves a great price. But who will pony up a quarter million for a nearly forgotten hero? He is certainly not a known entity in modern day pop culture. I think that will drag the price down. Too bad this wasn't Earth S or it would be going for over a million while everyone wondered whatever happened to Superman.

Baby Boomers fondly remember Cap. Marvel. I think the 9.0 could fetch one quarter to one half a mil after hearing GAtor (although I think 176k paid for a 6.0 is what it is and WILL impact the 9.0 sale). :wishluck:

Whiz Whiz Whiz

I have been wanting one for ever, If I was not married (is it necessary to say this) I would shell out 250K for this.

I wanted the one from WWComics but it got stolen (cracked blue 2.5 ish)

I bidded up to about 50K on the 7.0 that went before the 6.0 came out, that one sold for 60K???

Then the 6.0 (?6.5) came out, I was offered it from Metro, as I am sure many were, I foolishly turned it down (35-40K range) as it had a big red stamp on the cover (such foolishness), my eyes were bleeding as I saw the auction result, got emails from VZ and SF expressing their disbelief.

The 6.0 result brought out the 5.5 on Clink in about 5 seconds hoping someone would pay that stupid (yes stupid) price for it again. No doubt that was auction fever, it makes no sense.

A 9.0 is a different deal. We will know more at the end of the auction.

Time payments

:wishluck:

Its the number of restored copies that I always find suprising, in asking about it, it seems that Whizes were being uncovered at a time when restoration was the done thing and considered an enhancement.

Last time I checked there were 10 unrestored copies, not sure if it is 11 now with this one. Dont know if it is a new copy or a press up.

You and me both. I was actually negotiating with Matt on this book just a week or two before it was stolen.

:cry:

Baby Boomers fondly remember Cap. Marvel. I think the 9.0 could fetch one quarter to one half a mil after hearing GAtor (although I think 176k paid for a 6.0 is what it is and WILL impact the 9.0 sale). :wishluck:

Baby boomers started to arrive in 1946 and only the earliest ones were alive and only 7-8 years old when Captain Marvel ceased publishing. A later wave of boomers (born 1962-1964 say) caught his return in the mid-seventies and also the TV show. I'm not sure if he is carrying much of a fan base in that generation. Too bad there is no way to look up an analysis of cultural awareness of these kinds of characters. As a test when is the last time you heard someone say, "Holy Moley!" or "Shazam!" for that matter.

Solomon

Hercules

Atlas

Zeus

Achilles

Mercury

My twin brother chanted this a zillion times in the 70s. How can I forget it? :headbang:

Edited by peewee22

Without a doubt...the most important book to come to auction this year...it is a great to see a white back cover. I reread this book on the internet...what a great first issue and read.

I value the book at 457K, I think the price however will be a lot less, with a guess at 251K

Here is the internet link for the origin story. Worth reading for sure, a couple of panels missing (where the large weight falls on the original Shazam, the 7 deadly sins in the subway, etc):

http://majorspoilers.com/2012/10/07/retro-review-whiz-comics-2/

Anyone who appreciates comic history has to love this story. Notice how Plain Jane that Beck's backgrounds were (blue wall, gray sky, black cloud, etc). Nothing fancy but he was a master with a pen. :golfclap:

131287.jpg.04a461a1fae1be63992afe6de284ff9d.jpg

Without a doubt...the most important book to come to auction this year...it is a great to see a white back cover. I reread this book on the internet...what a great first issue and read.

I value the book at 457K, I think the price however will be a lot less, with a guess at 251K

Why the discrepancy? If it sells for $250K, why is that not its value?

Baby boomers started to arrive in 1946 and only the earliest ones were alive and only 7-8 years old when Captain Marvel ceased publishing. A later wave of boomers (born 1962-1964 say) caught his return in the mid-seventies and also the TV show. I'm not sure if he is carrying much of a fan base in that generation. Too bad there is no way to look up an analysis of cultural awareness of these kinds of characters. As a test when is the last time you heard someone say, "Holy Moley!" or "Shazam!" for that matter.

I'm a complete geek, but I say "Holy Moley" all the time.

You and me both. I was actually negotiating with Matt on this book just a week or two before it was stolen.

it was a cgc 3.0. I owned it for years. Bought it from Brent at quality and slabbed it. Had 6.0 eye appeal with tape on spine, hence the lower technical grade (thumbs u

it was a cgc 3.0. I owned it for years. Bought it from Brent at quality and slabbed it. Had 6.0 eye appeal with tape on spine, hence the lower technical grade (thumbs u

I know. The tape is what kept me from diving all over it. It was a gorgeous book.

I'm happy with the copy I have now.

:cloud9:

Until a nicer one comes across, that is.

:devil:

I don't think I've heard anyone say "Shazam" since watching a Gomer Pyle rerun many years ago.

I'm in total agreement: this book's a beauty.

And I think Whiz 2 (1) is on the upswing these days:

Seeing the 1.0 at HA sell for almost $10K when I thought it'd go closer to $5K ... and the strong price on Ebay for the 1.0-1.8 (unslabbed) copy at about $12.5K (and here I was thinking $7K!) ....

So it seems if I say this book should sell for about $175K, then almost certainly it has real potential to sell for about $350K! ... and even through I doubt it, I've been wrong every time...

(And thank you Rick for helping me understand the $176K price for the 6.0 that I never quite understood.)