• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

Frank Miller. Sin City onwards.

DKSA looked rushed to say the least

Not a fair statement as we would have absolutely no idea how much time the artist spent drawing the pages.

Well, he didn't say he rushed, he said it "looked" rushed.

Take a peek at his "Holy Terror" HC that came out last year....he could have spent a year per page on that book and it would still be fair to say it "looked" like he drew it with his feet in the time it takes Kobayashi to down a tube steak.

Lets not split hairs on this. I'm pretty sure we both know what was being implied by that comment.

I think he thought it didn't look good. I can't read his mind but I don't think he was saying that he knew that Frank rushed it. He'd have no way of knowing that.

He's just doing what we all do, going by what we see.

Maybe he could have used another adjective to describe what the art looked like but his opinion was it didn't look good. I didn't see anything personal against Frank.

Neither do I, but as a comicbook fan for a long time I'm sure you've heard this used to describe art before. I've heard it as far back as when Byrne started on Avengers with issue 181 back in 1980. The implication of it "looking rushed" is that they didn't spend a lot of time on it. All I'm saying is that we have no way of knowing how long the individual artist has taken on the page and I don't think it's a fair comment. Saying something "looks rushed" is different than saying "I don't like it".

but I have seen dozens of Eric's covers, paintings and stand alone works and the guy has a gift that might be misplaced in comics and is certainly not something that's going to get appreciated by the generic "Tights and Boobs" crowd.

Then he should leave comics if he sucks at it :shrug:

+1

Good art does not equal good comic book art. I want to read a story, not be impressed by someone's impressionistic genius.

Amen. There are a lot of good illustrators out there who can do a good cover or pin up, but cannot tell a sequential story through pictures well at all.

Fair enough.

Daredevil = Loved it

DKR = Loved it

DKSA = Not digging it.

Holy Terror = Holy mess !! WTF happened here. lol

I think I'm the only person who doesn't like Ed McGuiness. He's ok on hulk, but everything else feels too cartoony and cute. Which is not that I think he's bad, just don't look for him on my comics.

Fair enough.

Daredevil = Loved it

DKR = Loved it

DKSA = Not digging it.

I never read Holy Terror...it looked rushed ( JK! ). Frank Miller's work hasn't spoken to me since Sin City unfortunately. Though I would still rank him in my personal top ten favorite creators of all time.

Fair enough.

Daredevil = Loved it

DKR = Loved it

DKSA = Not digging it.

I never read Holy Terror...it looked rushed ( JK! ). Frank Miller's work hasn't spoken to me since Sin City unfortunately. Though I would still rank him in my personal top ten favorite creators of all time.

If you haven't read it yet...don't. It will only you off. lol

I don't like any art that deviates from the Marvel house style of the Bronze Age. All this conceptualized modern art is nothing but cr@p.

You forgot this.... -------> :preach:

I'm pretty open to different styles, but I'd have to say that most of the time when I find art in books that I don't like, it's because the colorist sucks so bad, they actually ruin the book.

I'm reading the Punisher Max Ennis stuff right now, and the colorist(s) for that book have really done a disservice to the art. It's atrocious, and the Howard Chaykin issues are practically impossible to read because they are so dark and muddied.

I don't like any art that deviates from the Marvel house style of the Bronze Age. All this conceptualized modern art is nothing but cr@p.

You forgot this.... -------> :preach:

:preach:

And two more to grow on...

:preach: :preach:

Is it the house style you like? Or that most of the artists back then could pretty much tell a clear story through pictures? Just curious.

I'm pretty open to different styles, but I'd have to say that most of the time when I find art in books that I don't like, it's because the colorist sucks so bad, they actually ruin the book.

I'm reading the Punisher Max Ennis stuff right now, and the colorist(s) for that book have really done a disservice to the art. It's atrocious, and the Howard Chaykin issues are practically impossible to read because they are so dark and muddied.

I agree here.

Simone Bianchi is a very talented artist, but he should never be allowed to pencil, ink and color his own art. It becomes over conceptualized, over designed, overdrawn, and generally difficult to look at.

Is it the house style you like? Or that most of the artists back then could pretty much tell a clear story through pictures? Just curious.

They didn't tell a story solely with pictures. They used dialogue via word balloons, background information, and internal & external monologues to tell the story. You're confusing the 70s with the 2010s.

They didn't tell a story solely with pictures. They used dialogue via word balloons, background information, and internal & external monologues to tell the story. You're confusing the 70s with the 2010s.

Not sure if we're having a disconnect. I'm talking purely about the artwork.

I agree here.

Simone Bianchi is a very talented artist, but he should never be allowed to pencil, ink and color his own art. It becomes over conceptualized, over designed, overdrawn, and generally difficult to look at.

I can't remember who did the color work on Marvel: The End, but that was a travesty as well. It's almost as if Starlin and Milgrom didn't really want to work on it, and the colorist had to actually create artwork to fill in gaps in the layout. Ugh. Horrible, and for the kind of story it was supposed to be, it should have been executed better by Starlin.

Maybe so, but does it make his early work any less collectible or for that matter less valuable?

Not arguing value or collectibility at all, just answering the initial question of the post. I know a probably majority feel differently, which is why I'm expressing my opinion. I see little value in "me too" posts. That's what polls are for.

Characters looked like they were supposed to look like. They didn't resemble rejects from a Tim Burton film.

Ahh ok, you mean keeping on model. I agree 100% with this.