• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

Alex Ross. I care very little for his art.

I know others who don't care for his art, but why? I like his "realism". I think his art give characters more depth and a hint of how they would be if they were really living among us.

I'll say it because it has to be said:

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Yes, I understand what he is going for. He is just terrible, the way Frank Robbins is terrible.

I know he is a sacred cow, and I imagine there will be a contrary opinion or two in response, but his work is just awful and amateurish. As for myself, I graduated top of my class from the Massachusetts College of Art, and have been a successful art director for over 20 years. This doesn't make me "right," as art is subjective, but I do believe it lends weight to my (professional) opinion. You may now pile on.

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Yes, I understand what he is going for. He is just terrible, the way Frank Robbins is terrible.

I know he is a sacred cow, and I imagine there will be a contrary opinion or two in response, but his work is just awful and amateurish. As for myself, I graduated top of my class from the Massachusetts College of Art, and have been a successful art director for over 20 years. This doesn't make me "right," as art is subjective, but I do believe it lends weight to my (professional) opinion. You may now pile on.

No way you can compare Ditko to Robbins.

Yeah... I actually like some of Robbins' stuff.

But I reserve my extra special, you-ruined-an-entire-decade-of-comics-and-future-artists, real genuine hatred of the man's art, for Jack Kirby... Never seen a single page by the man that I liked... And Barry Windsor Smith sucked until he outgrew Jack's style...

I know others who don't care for his art, but why? I like his "realism". I think his art give characters more depth and a hint of how they would be if they were really living among us.

I like realism & a painterly approach in comics. I welcome it.

I like Ross' heroes. They usually have a mature look & larger build.

I don't care for Ross' technical skills as a painter & I tire of the studio models & studio lighting he relies on.

I think the best description of Ross I've read is that he's a one trick pony, but it's a really neat trick.

Humberto Ramos.

Thread closed, none are worse.

Yeah, he's bad. I think he has finally given up the spider man flippers

and hot dog fingers which is a move in the right direction.

I would like to add Eric Canete as well. What a turd!

131280.jpg

:P

WFT? Is this supposed to be some sort of trippy scene, ir that his actual style?

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

namor_deniro.jpg

Oh my - how terrible is that doh!

that's not real!! lol

I love painted comics! Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists. Elektra Assasin and Moby were awesome. I loved the switch to an original style. As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out....

I remember one drawing of his, of the Kingpin. A buddy of mine described it as "a body the size of Rhode Island and a head the size of a baseball."

I'll admit that his change in style from an Adams clone was dramatic and unique, but aesthetically it's like fingernails on the chalkboard.

This?

tumblr_mbhmfpqBJd1qzoglfo1_500.jpg

(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Keep trying man, your taste and eye can only improve. :)

I waited 10 #@$% years to see Jim Shooter write comics again and DC gives me Francis Manapul art on Legion. The comic was unreadable because the art was so distracting. Many of the characters looked alike. I wouldn't have even touched a DC book had they not hired Shooter. I don't know who the characters are and it was hell trying to keep up with who was who because they all looked like they stepped out of a poorly drawn Manga comic.

WTF is this?

042_LOSH_interior.jpg

That looks like he should be drawing "For Better or For Worse" in the newspapers. It's cartoon art. I'm trying to read a serious story and they give me art suitable for a Funky Winkerbean gag.

It looks like it was made for ignorant teenagers. Let me stress "ignorant".

042_LOSH_interior2.jpg

Duh, look how cool and smug this character thinks he is. It's a total distraction.

I think most modern art is a distraction that does not facilitate storytelling. I'm complaining about Manapul because he drew a comic I really wanted to like and he made it impossible. I spent too much time flipping pages back to know which male character was supposed to be which.

Then again Dark Horse was stupid enough to put a noir artist on one of Jim Shooter's scripts which required holographic illustrations of a nuclear power plant. Seriously? Noir?

What's next? You pull out the assembly instruction on your next piece of furniture and they used abstract art?

Dark Horse is the reason I quit buying modern comics. I think 90% of the comics out there are unsuitable for telling the intended type of story they are trying to tell.

I am utterly sick of artists drawing like Frank Miller. The only thing I ever liked about his art was the use of perspective and shadows. His art is quite simplistic and horrible otherwise.

DG

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

namor_deniro.jpg

that's not real!! lol

It seems like it shouldn't be, but as I was reading that comic, I honestly had to stop and ask myself which character that was supposed to be. All I could see was DeNiro.

namor_deniro.jpg

that's not real!! lol

It seems like it shouldn't be, but as I was reading that comic, I honestly had to stop and ask myself which character that was supposed to be. All I could see was DeNiro.
Does DeNiro have sweet cleavage like that? What do you suppose his cup size is? :think:

I love painted comics! Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists. Elektra Assasin and Moby were awesome. I loved the switch to an original style. As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out....

I remember one drawing of his, of the Kingpin. A buddy of mine described it as "a body the size of Rhode Island and a head the size of a baseball."

I'll admit that his change in style from an Adams clone was dramatic and unique, but aesthetically it's like fingernails on the chalkboard.

This?

tumblr_mbhmfpqBJd1qzoglfo1_500.jpg

(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:

I actually think this is cool

Frank Miller. Sin City onwards.

DKSA looked rushed to say the least

Not a fair statement as we would have absolutely no idea how much time the artist spent drawing the pages.

Well, he didn't say he rushed, he said it "looked" rushed.

Take a peek at his "Holy Terror" HC that came out last year....he could have spent a year per page on that book and it would still be fair to say it "looked" like he drew it with his feet in the time it takes Kobayashi to down a tube steak.

Lets not split hairs on this. I'm pretty sure we both know what was being implied by that comment.

i meant that the detail that DKR had just seemed to be missing from DKSA but in all honesty alot of the problem would be the colouring

DKR

dk-horseback.jpg

DKSA

batman-strikes1.jpg

still less detail though

worded it wrong, apologies

Frank Miller. Sin City onwards.

DKSA looked rushed to say the least

Not a fair statement as we would have absolutely no idea how much time the artist spent drawing the pages.

Well, he didn't say he rushed, he said it "looked" rushed.

Take a peek at his "Holy Terror" HC that came out last year....he could have spent a year per page on that book and it would still be fair to say it "looked" like he drew it with his feet in the time it takes Kobayashi to down a tube steak.

Lets not split hairs on this. I'm pretty sure we both know what was being implied by that comment.

i meant that the detail that DKR had just seemed to be missing from DKSA but in all honesty alot of the problem would be the colouring

DKR

dk-horseback.jpg

DKSA

batman-strikes1.jpg

still less detail though

worded it wrong, apologies

I really disliked dksa. But that was entirely due to the coloring. It looked like a bad early 90s video game.

Some examples of Eric Canete commissions. I can't wait to get him to do something for me.

http://kahnehteh.blogspot.com/

I can see why people don't like Canete's Spider-Man. I think the same reaction would have been received if Jeff Jones had ever done Spider-Man.

Thank you for posting that, Sean. He is WAY too good for mainstream comics. He's going to end up in that 'Travis Charest' rarefied air of talent. I'm now a fan.

Some examples of Eric Canete commissions. I can't wait to get him to do something for me.

http://kahnehteh.blogspot.com/

I can see why people don't like Canete's Spider-Man. I think the same reaction would have been received if Jeff Jones had ever done Spider-Man.

I find his work on that page to be interesting to look at, maybe he's just not cut out for superheros? (shrug)

Reminds me a bit of Skottie Young. Great on the Oz books, not keen on his super-hero work.

I was at a gallery showing in the mid 90's in Chicago where John Romita Sr was the special guest. In chatting with him he told me he felt that the current anime style of art in the X-Men wasn't right for the book, he also told me he didn't think McFarlane was all that awesome on Spider-Man. He summed it all up perfectly when he said that the bottom line was you can't argue with success.

I thought it was funny, in the new 'Untold Story of Marvel Comics' book, where they bring Romita Sr. some of Todd's pages from ASM and (as art director) ask him to 'fix' Peter Parker's face to make it look more like the traditional Marvel look and Romita's Sr.'s reaction is, "That's ALL you want me to fix?"