• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

Good art was never meant to be published monthly.

hm

To me, it's a different skill set. Good art can be published monthly, but not all good artists can do good monthly work.

I agree with you 100% The other comment ( though I don't believe it was intended as such ) comes off as an insult to all the pros through the years who were and have been able to produce top shelf work on a monthly basis.

It is a different skill set. One geared towards a deadline. That's the goal.

Ask any artist if they do their best work with time to finish it or in consecutive month 27 using the 'Marvel method' to tell a story. It's no contest.

How many page layouts are championed over covers?

Some artists are just naturally faster than others (shrug)

Beware, viewing the following images could do serious damage to your retina

Frank Robbins ......

fr2.jpg

Exactly why I love Frank Robbins - he's so awful that it's great! Just look at that anatomical perspective! Only Kirby did it better...er..worse.

One question that I have is, what do other artist think of these guys that we're criticizing? I wonder if John Romita looked at Frank Robbins stuff and thought to himself, "He has no business doodling for pay!" Or if Kirby's dramatic change in the 70s was ever met by his peers thinking that the old man was over the hill and should be put to pasture!

I wonder...

One question that I have is, what do other artist think of these guys that we're criticizing? I wonder if John Romita looked at Frank Robbins stuff and thought to himself, "He has no business doodling for pay!" Or if Kirby's dramatic change in the 70s was ever met by his peers thinking that the old man was over the hill and should be put to pasture!

I wonder...

I bet they did. Most people keep tabs of what is going on in their industry, who is doing good work, and who is just mailing it in.

I wonder...

I know that Kirby pages during the 70's were taped up around the Marvel Bullpen with denigrating remarks written on them and he was also know as "Jack the hack". .

Does anyone have a scan of any interior pages from Guardians of the Galaxy #28, September, 1992? It was clearly a desperate attempt on Herb Trimpe's part to ape the "style" du jour. In some ways, it was an amazing Liefeld riff, but it underscores just how superficial Liefeld's work was. It's a sad and laughable effort at the same time. I always found Trimpe to be a mediocre artist, but the art on that issue was beyond terrible.

I wonder...

I know that Kirby pages during the 70's were taped up around the Marvel Bullpen with denigrating remarks written on them and he was also know as "Jack the hack". .

Wow, really?! Was there a main critic among them?

Does anyone have a scan of any interior pages from Guardians of the Galaxy #28, September, 1992? It was clearly a desperate attempt on Herb Trimpe's part to ape the "style" du jour. In some ways, it was an amazing Liefeld riff, but it underscores just how superficial Liefeld's work was. It's a sad and laughable effort at the same time. I always found Trimpe to be a mediocre artist, but the art on that issue was beyond terrible.

To be fair to Trimpe, he was directed by editorial at the time to try and ape that style. That was not his choice.

Yeah I remember a lot of marvel books suddenly were cross hatched to death. Darkhawk for example was great for awhile then...

http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/data/media/344/darkhawk-1-s.jpg

to

http://www.tias.com/stores/phillipdpritchard/pictures/11com00424a.jpg

same artist....

I wonder...

Wow, really?! Was there a main critic among them?

Not that I know of, but there were several people doing it.

Yeah I remember a lot of marvel books suddenly were cross hatched to death. Darkhawk for example was great for awhile then...

to

same artist....

First link goes to Disney homepage for me. lol

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/02/19/comic-book-legends-revealed-195/

to

same artist....

Yeah I don't like that style. It wasn't just Marvel either. It made everything look metallic, even flesh. I didn't know it was called crosshatching, I usually like crosshatching

bagge1.jpg

How could we not mention Greg Land?

The first time I saw his work I was blown away. However, after seeing more of his work I noticed that almost every character looks essentially the same and he seemed to be tracing most of characters directly from movies, magazines, etc.

gregland.jpg

gregland-1.gif