• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

With all the excitement around Rob Liefeld's on-off 'retirement' from the world of comic books, how about a thread where we can moan about those artists that make your eyes bleed.

I recently struggled to get through two sets of "30 Days of Night' books because of the art.

Ben Templesmith - everything was so dark and body proportions all skewed up - in the name of atmosphere I'm sure- but it made it impossible for me to follow the damn story!

DarkDays6-02-03-1.jpg

I'd stopped reading it by then, but seeing Mark Bagley's work on ASM from #345 on made me quite sure I had no interest in returning. Childish, cartoonish, horribly proportioned, lumpy, boney figures. I assumed the content had been dumbed down to match the art.

ultimate-spider-man.jpg

Yuck. Give me Ditko or the artist of my era, Ron Frenz. Realistic anatomy and dynamic storytelling. Of course it was Todd that drove me away in the first place.

With all the excitement around Rob Liefeld's on-off 'retirement' from the world of comic books, how about a thread where we can moan about those artists that make your eyes bleed.

I recently struggled to get through two sets of "30 Days of Night' books because of the art.

Ben Templesmith - everything was so dark and body proportions all skewed up - in the name of atmosphere I'm sure- but it made it impossible for me to follow the damn story!

DarkDays6-02-03-1.jpg

You're supposed to read the word bubbles. :gossip:

I quite like the art in 30 Days, and Arkham Asylum. Now the first volume of Batman Incorporated was bloody awful. I'm sure there are some more I'll think of.

I can't read most underground comics because of the art. Seriously guys, there's a difference between being 'edgy and alternative' and 'not being a very capable artist'.

Dilbert almost falls into the same category for me, but redeems itself by being genuinely funny and/or insightful sometimes.

Much like the McKean example above, I'm not a fan of highly stylized, painted comic book art. It just simply isn't the kind of art I want in a comic.

In the 80s, when Sienkiewicz changed his style from that of an Adams clone to that of what it might be like to draw inside the mind of an insane person, his work became unreadable, imo.

Much like the McKean example above, I'm not a fan of highly stylized, painted comic book art. It just simply isn't the kind of art I want in a comic.

In the 80s, when Sienkiewicz changed his style from that of an Adams clone to that of what it might be like to draw inside the mind of an insane person, his work became unreadable, imo.

Sometimes it worked brilliantly. Have you seen his adaptation of Moby ? The panel at the end where the whale is a vague shape in the depths is awesome.

I'll go back a ways. Frank Robbins was an OK writer, but I never liked the style of his artwork. Especially his attempts at superheros.

Not quite the same complaint, but I loved Jim Aparo's artwork on Batman and the Spectre. The only problem was, all his woman looked awful. Many of which looked like men. His rendition of Batman rivals Neal Adams in my opinion, but he couldn't draw a pretty girl to save his life.

I actually like Templesmith's art.

Not the easiest to read as far as comics go but his style fits the subject matter in his books very well (30 days, Choker, Silent hill...)

Same goes for McKean. I'm not sure that book would have had anywhere near the impact it did without his art.

I've not seen much of Bagley's art, but IMO, that Spidey pic isn't too visually offensive.

My personal hate (Other than Mr Leifeld) Is Phillip Tan. How in [insert [preferred deity here]'s name did he get any work on UXM???

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_427.jpg

But then you've got JRJR's recent work which is just all kinds of awful.

AVX%20I%20JRJR.jpg

But then you've got JRJR's recent work which is just all kinds of awful.

His work used to be good. :(

I'll go back a ways. Frank Robbins was an OK writer, but I never liked the style of his artwork. Especially his attempts at superheros.

I've never seen anything good drawn by Robbins.

I agree completely with JR JR. It's beyond horrible.

And I'll add Frank Quietly. It makes me want to vomit. :sick:

Check out White Queen's nut bag.

frank-quitely.jpg

Im just not a "Painted" style fan so guys like Templesmith and McKean, and for that matter Sienkiewicz (when he stopped masterfully apeing Adams) and Alex Maleev... dont work for me.

Howard Chaykin's style never worked for me either.

ARTHUR SUYDAM is the bane of my existence every time I see people lined up for him at a con. 1) I dont get the zombie love 2) even if I can appreciate the subject matter his take on it is not good.... (to me)

Guys I love that seem to be popular to hate... Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo, Bagley, and even JRJr... some times "stylized" works for me and these guys "style" does (for me).