• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

but I have seen dozens of Eric's covers, paintings and stand alone works and the guy has a gift that might be misplaced in comics and is certainly not something that's going to get appreciated by the generic "Tights and Boobs" crowd.

Then he should leave comics if he sucks at it :shrug:

+1

Good art does not equal good comic book art. I want to read a story, not be impressed by someone's impressionistic genius.

The more I see of Mike Grell, the less I like it. He seems to me to be the kind of guy who learned how to draw by copying other artists **NealcoughcoughAdamscoughcough** rather than life models. His perspectives are always off.

Loved him on Superboy & the LoSH, though

jlacj_3_dylux-1-copy1.jpg

I didn't like Mauro Cascioli Cry for Justice work. Everything has fuzzy edges and the wind was always blowing everyone's hair around. In this case in two separate directions.

The boys are just excited by Kara's midriff.

I don't read much, if any, moderns, so this guy's new to me. But I kinda dig his art if this is a representation of it.

I personally loved Mauro Cascioli's painted art of the Cry for Justice series.

Same here. His art literally stopped me in my tracks to go research who he was.

There's a hint of Alex Ross realism to it, just enough to believe in an actual world of costumed heroes.

Not too cartoony, nor too cos-play hyper-realistic. Enhances the stroytelling. :cloud9:

Looks great to me.

If you have ever been in NYC you would know that the wind DOES in fact blow from every direction at the same time. Every corner you turn, it stays with you.

Remember that scene with the dancing garbage bag at the end of American Beauty????

But once I read his Dr Strange work in Strange Tales it was like a fog lifted and I suddenly got "it".

That's exactly why I described my background in my first post, because people often rebut criticism of Ditko by saying you don't get him. I have a very strong arts background and I get him. The anxious tension, the awkwardness, what he does with perspective, lighting, etc. I get it, and I'm not impressed.

I'll say it because it has to be said:

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Yes, I understand what he is going for. He is just terrible, the way Frank Robbins is terrible.

I know he is a sacred cow, and I imagine there will be a contrary opinion or two in response, but his work is just awful and amateurish. As for myself, I graduated top of my class from the Massachusetts College of Art, and have been a successful art director for over 20 years. This doesn't make me "right," as art is subjective, but I do believe it lends weight to my (professional) opinion. You may now pile on.

Maybe so, but does it make his early work any less collectible or for that matter less valuable?

I personally think he is an insane, old weirdo these days but I like the character he co-created with Stan Lee.

Frank Miller. Sin City onwards.

DKSA looked rushed to say the least

Not a fair statement as we would have absolutely no idea how much time the artist spent drawing the pages.

Well, he didn't say he rushed, he said it "looked" rushed.

Take a peek at his "Holy Terror" HC that came out last year....he could have spent a year per page on that book and it would still be fair to say it "looked" like he drew it with his feet in the time it takes Kobayashi to down a tube steak.

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

namor_deniro.jpg

Of course! When I think Namor, I think DeNiro.

So I'm Fishy?! In what way am I Fcukin' Fishy? Like a Clown-Fish for your amusement?!

That quote was from Joe Pesci, not DeNiro. Which is funny, because pesci is fishes in Italian.

It all comes full circle.

Looks great to me.

If you have ever been in NYC you would know that the wind DOES in fact blow from every direction at the same time. Every corner you turn, it stays with you.

Remember that scene with the dancing garbage bag at the end of American Beauty????

Yes, that was quite something. However, many Brit boardies will consider Black Bag, The Faithful Border Bin Liner, from Viz Comic, to be far superior in execution. I'm a big fan. (thumbs u

Not a fair statement as we would have absolutely no idea how much time the artist spent drawing the pages.

Take a peek at his "Holy Terror" HC that came out last year....he could have spent a year per page on that book and it would still be fair to say it "looked" like he drew it with his feet in the time it takes Kobayashi to down a tube steak.

Lets not split hairs on this. I'm pretty sure we both know what was being implied by that comment.

I'm not a Gil Kane fan though I don't hate him. I just don't care for his art.

Dale Roberts loves him. So, let me restate my position. I'm a big Gil Kane fan.

One thing Gil Kane does well is anatomy. Everything will be drawn in proper proportions.

Generally popular artists I've never liked:

Byrne

George Perez

and then there's Charlie Adlard...

Now you are just talkin crazy. :screwy:

Indeed. There are aspects of Perez's work I didn't care for at certain times but between the two of them you could post 100 awesome covers.

One thing Gil Kane does well is anatomy. Everything will be drawn in proper proportions.

And you'll get a nice lesson in Nostrilology

Lets not split hairs on this. I'm pretty sure we both know what was being implied by that comment.

I think he thought it didn't look good. I can't read his mind but I don't think he was saying that he knew that Frank rushed it. He'd have no way of knowing that.

He's just doing what we all do, going by what we see.

Maybe he could have used another adjective to describe what the art looked like but his opinion was it didn't look good. I didn't see anything personal against Frank.