• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

I don't like a lot of the new art from the last 10 years. It is clear the artists are skilled, what I don't like is that the panels are so detailed and the artist uses the same line weight throughout the entire page what you lose is a sense of foreground - middleground - background. It makes it a complete chore to even look at the page.

I also really hate the over detailed stuff out there. Like this:

InvincibleIronMan01_QuesadaCover.jpg

No denying the skill of the artist, but does every single surface of the armor need a squiggle/detail?

I think detail is awesome - when the artist puts it in there. I don't like it when the colorist does it. I've always liked Quesada's stuff, I sure wish he'd kept to being an artist in the 90's instead of being a "celebrity" artist and never hitting a deadline.

Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists...As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out

???

:taptaptap:

I'm going to get flack for this but I've never liked Dave McKean's art...especially on Arkham Assylum

batman-arkham-asylum-pg018.jpgtumblr_ma5kmj3Qiv1rsr1pzo1_1280.jpg

I tried to read that and gave up - just hated the art.

+1

I was enjoying reading Animal Man by Morrison at the time, so I was really looking forward to reading Arkham Asylum as well. After a few pages I simply gave up - I just couldn't connect to what was going on. Completely impenetrable to me.

jlacj_3_dylux-1-copy1.jpg

I didn't like Mauro Cascioli Cry for Justice work. Everything has fuzzy edges and the wind was always blowing everyone's hair around. In this case in two separate directions.

The boys are just excited by Kara's midriff.

I don't read much, if any, moderns, so this guy's new to me. But I kinda dig his art if this is a representation of it.

I personally loved Mauro Cascioli's painted art of the Cry for Justice series.

Same here. His art literally stopped me in my tracks to go research who he was.

There's a hint of Alex Ross realism to it, just enough to believe in an actual world of costumed heroes.

Not too cartoony, nor too cos-play hyper-realistic. Enhances the stroytelling. :cloud9:

Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists...As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out

???

I'm with you. I think that statement isn't accurate. There were plenty of amazing graphic novels (Marvel's 1st GN, Death of Captain Marvel and God Loves, Man Kills in the 80's, not to mention Sterankos work in the mid-70's) before BS's first one in 1984 (Daredevil book, I think).

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

namor_deniro.jpg

Of course! When I think Namor, I think DeNiro.

So I'm Fishy?! In what way am I Fcukin' Fishy? Like a Clown-Fish for your amusement?!

That quote was from Joe Pesci, not DeNiro. Which is funny, because pesci is fishes in Italian.

I'll say it because it has to be said:

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Yes, I understand what he is going for. He is just terrible, the way Frank Robbins is terrible.

I know he is a sacred cow, and I imagine there will be a contrary opinion or two in response, but his work is just awful and amateurish. As for myself, I graduated top of my class from the Massachusetts College of Art, and have been a successful art director for over 20 years. This doesn't make me "right," as art is subjective, but I do believe it lends weight to my (professional) opinion. You may now pile on.

I don't agree, but I do understand where you are coming from. It took me years to appreciate Ditko's work on Spider-man...having been weaned on Romita's pretty pictures.

But once I read his Dr Strange work in Strange Tales it was like a fog lifted and I suddenly got "it".

I still prefer his Dr Strange art, which I think is wonderful, to his ASM work, but I am now seeing what a lot of people are seeing in those issues...he brought out the "Spider" in Spider-man.

???

I'm with you. I think that statement isn't accurate. There were plenty of amazing graphic novels (Marvel's 1st GN, Death of Captain Marvel and God Loves, Man Kills in the 80's, not to mention Sterankos work in the mid-70's) before BS's first one in 1984 (Daredevil book, I think).

*cough*WillEisner*cough*

Humberto Ramos.

Thread closed, none are worse.

Yeah, he's bad. I think he has finally given up the spider man flippers

and hot dog fingers which is a move in the right direction.

I would like to add Eric Canete as well. What a turd!

131280.jpg

:P

You've posted that single panel before, haven't you?

Canete is a friggin genius and the sum total of his body of work is pretty damn impressive.

Anyone can render a panel that isn't pablum to the drooling masses, not just anyone can create they way Eric does.

I see the word "genius" thrown around almost as much as the word "great".

Ask some of his contemporaries in the field what they think of him. You'll find both words used frequently with much sincerity and admiration.

Great indicates to me superior technical skill and a level of mastery over some area.

Genius, in this area, indicates to me a spark of something unique and something I haven't seen before, a true bit of inspiration that is exceedingly rare.

Frankly I don't need to hear from other artists to know what I don't like. Granted, I've just seen one image so while I can tell I don't care for the style, I would need to see more pages of his work to see if he knows anything about being a comicbook artist.

Frank Miller. Sin City onwards.

DKSA looked rushed to say the least

Not a fair statement as we would have absolutely no idea how much time the artist spent drawing the pages.

Some examples of Eric Canete commissions. I can't wait to get him to do something for me.

http://kahnehteh.blogspot.com/

I can see why people don't like Canete's Spider-Man. I think the same reaction would have been received if Jeff Jones had ever done Spider-Man.

I find his work on that page to be interesting to look at, maybe he's just not cut out for superheros? (shrug)

Some examples of Eric Canete commissions. I can't wait to get him to do something for me.

I can see why people don't like Canete's Spider-Man. I think the same reaction would have been received if Jeff Jones had ever done Spider-Man.

I find his work on that page to be interesting to look at, maybe he's just not cut out for superheros? (shrug)

Reminds me a bit of Skottie Young. Great on the Oz books, not keen on his super-hero work.

Reminds me a bit of Skottie Young. Great on the Oz books, not keen on his super-hero work.

I was at a gallery showing in the mid 90's in Chicago where John Romita Sr was the special guest. In chatting with him he told me he felt that the current anime style of art in the X-Men wasn't right for the book, he also told me he didn't think McFarlane was all that awesome on Spider-Man. He summed it all up perfectly when he said that the bottom line was you can't argue with success.