• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

(2) Detective 871 (1st print) has a small print run of approximately 37K which is small for a DC Bat book. It is the first book that Scot Snyder wrote for Batman and has a classic cover.;

(3) Detective 880 is the first time Scot Snyder wrote a Joker story, it has a modest print run of 35K and an amazing cover by Jock. It may be my favorite Joker cover ever. While all three of these books have been getting some heat thanks to Death of the Family, I expect that they will get huge heat once that story gets in full swing and people realize how hard these books are becoming to find in top condition (particularly the 871 (2nd print).;

I just sold a copy of #871 and #880 first prints raw on eBay and they didn't perform anywhere near to where I thought they would. Both were NM+, and the #880 was the only copy on eBay UK at the time of listing, and it fetched £9.50 (around $14.25) whereas a copy listed as VF/NM ended at £16.00 (around $24) just 12 days before. There's plenty of mileage in that book but I think it will take a while to reach its peak.

The #871 did fare slightly better finishing at £11.01 (around $16.50) which seems to be at the higher end at the moment. Again, plenty of mileage in the book but I think this one will peak before #881.

In summary I think I should have pressed them and slabbed them as they would have fetched 9.8, and the census isn't exactly bulging with 9.8s of either book at the moment.

Kudos on minimizing your return.

Couldn't be arsed to sub them.

Very cool idea for a thread!

Yup... I think it's going to ingredients required to be popular:

50% Informative

30% Mis-informative

10% Drama

5% Off topic

5% Larry hate :D

Agreed! I only read the Modern Section of this site for the minimum 10% drama!

(9) 52 7 and 11 are the first cameo and first full appearance of Batwoman. Batwoman was hit and miss for a while but issue 13 was done with perfection. If the quality of the writing and art continues and this creative team is intact. I imagine that these books are going to be great sellers in the coming year.

Actually 7 is the first full appearance Katherine Kane. It is NOT a cameo appearance. 11 is first Appearance of Katherine Kane wearing the Costume. There are less copies of 7 in the census. According to GPA 7 is worth more than 11.

Edited by catch21

X-Men Annual #14

why you think it will increase in value?

Now apparently 1st appearance of gambit?

(%) probability that it will go up.

100% - new series is selling well & getting a lot of interest

what price do you think it will achieve?

$30 - $40

how long we should hold it? ie. long term/short term

flip the cheap one's now and buy more

Chew #1

[*]why you think it will decrease in value? rare as grass in high grade, likelihood of show being aired/ a hit is low

[*](%) probability that it will go down. 80%

[*]what price do you think it will achieve? $100 in 9.8

[*]how long we should short it? ie. long term

[*]additional notes:

:D agree, +1

Many will get burned when it rolls over.

This has been mentioned a few times. Not a specific issue, but an oddity perhaps with perceptions of print runs....

Modern Marvel & DC [random title] # 4 issues

why you think they will increase in value? People seem to be picking up on some kind of "low distribution" perception for Issues 4 (Uncanny X-Force, Daredevil, Batman, etc.), and now may be beginning to speculate on others.

(%) probability that they will go up? 25% (the trick is picking the right titles)

what price do you think they will achieve? anywhere between $6-10 on average, with the "proven" titles double that

how long we should hold it? short term (I expect this is a fad that will last several months to a year)

additional notes: I say grab an extra copy of Issues 4 of the titles that have buzz.

>>I would love to see your speculation on the Phantom variant!<<

I honestly do not know what you mean, friend.

??

rephrase

Phantom Variant Bedlam

why you think they will increase in value? ??

(%) probability that they will go up? ??

what price do you think they will achieve? ??

how long we should hold it? short or long term

additional notes:?

>>>Phantom Variant Bedlam

why you think they will increase in value? ??<<

Never said that.

The quality of the material SHOULD build it a respectable reader base.

There is an opportunity now, before it's release for a simple flip play.

You decide..

>>I would love to see your speculation on the Phantom variant!<<

I honestly do not know what you mean, friend.

??

rephrase

Phantom Variant Bedlam

why you think they will increase in value? ??

(%) probability that they will go up? ??

what price do you think they will achieve? ??

how long we should hold it? short or long term

additional notes:?

I think it's nearly impossible to speculate on something like this and it wouldn't matter what Larry said he'd be criticized.

40% Informative

20% Mis-informative

5% Drama

5% Off topic

30% Larry hate

SsOkay..

I have adamantium skin & the energy of a million exploding suns.

Don't be so hard on yourself Larry. Many board members appreciate your input - even the ones that give you grief at times (thumbs u

40% Informative

20% Mis-informative

5% Drama

5% Off topic

30% Larry hate

SsOkay..

Don't be so hard on yourself Larry. Many board members appreciate your input - even the ones that give you grief at times (thumbs u

yes but as you have now pointed out he has his percentages wrong (quick grab the pitchforks)

40% Informative

20% Mis-informative

5% Drama

5% Off topic

30% Larry hate

SsOkay..

yes but as you have now pointed out he has his percentages wrong (quick grab the pitchforks)

:banana:

Alot of books have potential in here. A few that give me pause though.

Didnt they print the hell out of ASM 365? Its pulling $3-5 currently with one oddball at $11.I would stick more to the later issues of his 2099 series where you can them for $1 and flip them well. The venom storyline always sells well as well.

I am also weary of Snyder's Detective run anything other then short term. Not knocking him or even the print run of the books themselves just not a good record for books like that to hold value.

Edited by Fastballspecial

book: Thor #344

•why you think it will increase in value? First appearance of the Dark Elf - Main villain in new Thor 2 movie

•(%) probability that it will go up. 50% it will increase very quickly

•what price do you think it will achieve? $16-?? for 9.6 copies

•how long we should hold it? ie. Not sure really, watch ebay sales as movie gets closer.

•additional notes: Even if the movie flops, it's still a key first appearance book and worthy addition to any Marvel fans collection.

This book sold very well 2 months back and I think it will again as Thor 2 gets closer. Surprisingly I have had trouble finding it in higher grade, but have only looked locally so far.

(2) Detective 871 (1st print) has a small print run of approximately 37K which is small for a DC Bat book. It is the first book that Scot Snyder wrote for Batman and has a classic cover.;

(3) Detective 880 is the first time Scot Snyder wrote a Joker story, it has a modest print run of 35K and an amazing cover by Jock. It may be my favorite Joker cover ever. While all three of these books have been getting some heat thanks to Death of the Family, I expect that they will get huge heat once that story gets in full swing and people realize how hard these books are becoming to find in top condition (particularly the 871 (2nd print).;

I just sold a copy of #871 and #880 first prints raw on eBay and they didn't perform anywhere near to where I thought they would. Both were NM+, and the #880 was the only copy on eBay UK at the time of listing, and it fetched £9.50 (around $14.25) whereas a copy listed as VF/NM ended at £16.00 (around $24) just 12 days before. There's plenty of mileage in that book but I think it will take a while to reach its peak.

The #871 did fare slightly better finishing at £11.01 (around $16.50) which seems to be at the higher end at the moment. Again, plenty of mileage in the book but I think this one will peak before #881.

In summary I think I should have pressed them and slabbed them as they would have fetched 9.8, and the census isn't exactly bulging with 9.8s of either book at the moment.

Kudos on minimizing your return.

Couldn't be arsed to sub them.

Prior to the "Death of the Family" run, I was selling Detective #880 for barely $10, then when the storyline kicked-off the last remaining copies I had sold for $14-$16. Wish I bought more of the copies that magically appeared at my LCS last month, but the copies weren't NM.

I'm still looking for cheap copies of Detective #871-873 but at minimu they're popping up for around $8-$10.

I'd like to chime in that Marvel's Children's Crusade mini-series has sold well for me with around x2 to x3 cover price that past few months from my collection. I've also sold off my Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade series as well as Thanos on-going from the 90s pretty easily. Good time to clear out stock to de-clutter my collection.

point-one-marvel-comics.jpg

why you think it will increase in value? 1st Appearance of new Nova, Sam Alexander.

(%) probability that it will go up. 100%

what price do you think it will achieve? $3. That's double what it is now.

how long we should hold it? Once the new series begins in January.

additional notes: He is already the Nova they use in the Spider-Man cartoon.