• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What books are the most overrated/overvalued in your opinion?

374 posts in this topic

I love 'em too!

adventure85cgc85-1.jpg

The Simon and Kirby Sandman as well as Newsboy Legion covers are beyond fabulous. They just shout forties America to me! Hopefully I can add some to my collection at some point in the future.

:cool:

@Hepcat: Thanks for the explanations.

That‘s probably why I haven’t noticed references to the original Sandman. S&K basically create a new character stating his name is Wesley Dodds.

So I wouldn’t say, like someone said previously, that they "ruined" the original Sandman. The request probably came from the direction at DC, but they did a thing of their own, so there is no conflict.

The discourse about Gaiman is different: he is a brilliant writer, but as with most of the english authors of the new wave he cared little about the characters, as he was interested to write stories in an "autorial" way, like in many european comics.

I think DC and Marvel aren’t truly comparable, as DC never had the concept of "continuity" which was at the very core of Stan Lee’s conception.

From what I can get Crisis was not enough to solve DC’s confusion with all the series, parallel worlds, acquired publisher characters', etc.

This is one of the reason I have never get affectioned to DC characters, except the "sub-universe" created by Kirby with the 4th world, and Kamandi and Demon which were pretty much things on their own.

When did Sandman states he’s Wesley Dodds? I have the S&K hardcover but haven’t read it in full.

My understanding is that Simon and Kirby just gave the existing character, Wesley Dodd, a new updated costume as soon as they took over the strip and proceeded from there.

What Neil Gaiman did was post Crisis on Infinite Earths and of no consequence in my book when it comes to Sandman's established continuity.

(shrug)

.....the costume was updated before S&K took over, but they fine tuned it and made it their own. DC released a nice hardcover collection of all the S&K Sandman stories a year or so ago (thumbs u ....it's reprinted from the actual comic pages which is kind of interesting. If you don't already have it.....might I suggest picking up a copy and then selecting your favorite to obtain in vintage form ? I only own 1 of them....but it's one of my favorite books in my collection. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That‘s probably why I haven’t noticed references to the original Sandman. S&K basically create a new character stating his name is Wesley Dodds.

The plot of one of the JLA-JSA crossovers in the late sixties/early seventies revolves around the angst the gas mask wearing Sandman was still feeling over the death of Sandy.

DC released a nice hardcover collection of all the S&K Sandman stories a year or so ago (thumbs u ....it's reprinted from the actual comic pages which is kind of interesting.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to get a copy.

Sandman.jpg

:)

...the costume was updated before S&K took over, but they fine tuned it and made it their own. DC releaseda nice hardcover collection of all the S&K Sandman stories a year or so ago (thumbs u ....it's reprinted from the actual comic pages which is kind of interesting. If you don't already have it.....might I suggest picking up a copy and then selecting your favorite to obtain in vintage form ? I only own 1 of them....but it's one of my favorite books in my collection. GOD BLESS...

Now this explains why I did not realize that. That‘s the hardcover volume I have, and it has the S&K stories ONLY, so I suppose the episode you mention was published BEFORE that. Yes, the edition is very good, although restoration could be done better. It’s a time consuming process, and often they prefer to re-color the stories, which they do not do properly. At least they should follow the original color schemes.

One of the best reprint editions, anyway, together with the Fantagraphics Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck running right now.

The plot of one of the JLA-JSA crossovers in the late sixties/early seventies revolves around the angst the gas mask wearing Sandman was still feeling over the death of Sandy.

What does it mean? Sorry, I thought my english was better… :blush:

Okay. The October 1974 issue of Justice League of America 113 explains why Sandman's boy sidekick Sandy has not been seen since the Golden Age and reveals why Wesley Dodds went back to wearing his gas mask, fedora and suit:

JLA 113 Synopsis

It's therefore very clear that Wesley Dodds was the identity of both the gas mask wearing Sandman and the Simon & Kirby purple and yellow outfitted superhero.

;)

Okay. The October 1974 issue of Justice League of America 113 explains why Sandman's boy sidekick Sandy has not been seen since the Golden Age and reveals why Wesley Dodds went back to wearing his gas mask, fedora and suit:

JLA 113 Synopsis

It's therefore very clear that Wesley Dodds was the identity of both the gas mask wearing Sandman and the Simon & Kirby purple and yellow outfitted superhero.

;)

Lotsa luck working that little bit of continuity into the schema of Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, the new 52.... :ohnoez:

Thanks, unfortunately I am almost entirely unfamiliar with the DC characters.

Len Wein, anyway, usually know what he does. I would just be curious to know if this plot is entirely his own, or if DC already stated it was the same Sandman in a story of the original GA run (i.e. the question explained, but not in full, by Jimbo).

Justice_League_of_America_113.jpg

Must be a pretty weird story:

113b.jpg

Lotsa luck working that little bit of continuity into the schema of Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, the new 52.... :ohnoez:

Despite the fact that I admire a lot Marv Wolfman, just browsing Crisis gave me a headache.

Besides, it seems DC cares more or less like Marvel about the characters right now (i.e. very little): they almost undid a good deal of what they attempted to do with Crisis, and I won’t know what to say about the new 52. :blahblah:

Luckily, I’m not affectioned to the DC characters.

DC released a nice hardcover collection of all the S&K Sandman stories a year or so ago (thumbs u ....it's reprinted from the actual comic pages which is kind of interesting.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to get a copy.

Sandman.jpg

:)

One thing about the S&K Adventure run......you won't be swamped by temptation during your search.....they're about as scarce as mainstream gets...the 1941-1942 issues almost never turn up, other than the occasional Mile High. I think I see 72 more than any other....probably because it's a minor Key. Three of my favorite S&K Sandman stories aren't even in Adventure Comics....Worlds Finest 6, 7, and Detective 76.....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I used to look at Overstreet twenty or thirty years ago thinking I'd be glad to buy those comics at those prices but just where were they? Is it some kind of geographic anomaly and they don't show up in Toronto and for whatever reason it's the dealers who don't advertise in CBG that have these comics in stock?

(shrug)

Maybe there aren't any collectors in Toronto willing to pay for those high grade expensive sought after books so the books end up getting sold elsewhere.

:hi: Not true, there are plenty of Toronto collectors willing to pay high prices.

not true ,not true andre. mr. bedrock is on to something here. the only collector with dough in CANAD is you!

I used to look at Overstreet twenty or thirty years ago thinking I'd be glad to buy those comics at those prices but just where were they? Is it some kind of geographic anomaly and they don't show up in Toronto and for whatever reason it's the dealers who don't advertise in CBG that have these comics in stock?

(shrug)

Maybe there aren't any collectors in Toronto willing to pay for those high grade expensive sought after books so the books end up getting sold elsewhere.

:hi: Not true, there are plenty of Toronto collectors willing to pay high prices.

not true ,not true andre. mr. bedrock is on to something here. the only collector with dough in CANAD is you!

:mad: