• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What books are the most overrated/overvalued in your opinion?

374 posts in this topic

MC #1

Batman #1

Books with Schomburg covers

There is a special place in Hades for those who think like thee. Base villain indeed thou art!!!!!!!!!

:sumo:

:grin:

Seriously, Batman #1 is like what, the 11th or 12th appearance of Batman? And it didn`t break ground in terms of a superhero getting his own title. And there`s like a billion copies in existence. The only thing it really has going for it is being the first appearance of Joker and to a lesser extent Catwoman, and, of course, the "1" on the cover.

I don`t understand why everyone coveting and overpaying for copies of Batman #1 doesn`t save up their pennies a bit longer to get a copy of Detective 27 instead.

^^ yup. Suspense 3. I don't even find the cover all that amazing either (shrug)

:facepalm:

Sorry but a random schomburg kkk cover does not equal 50k for a VF in my world (shrug)

IMO its not even the best cover of the 12 issue run - 3rd best tops behind 8 and 11 (shrug)

MC #1

Batman #1

There is a special place in Hades for those who think like thee. Base villain indeed thou art!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Batman #1 is like what, the 11th or 12th appearance of Batman? And it didn`t break ground in terms of a superhero getting his own title. And there`s like a billion copies in existence. The only thing it really has going for it is being the first appearance of Joker and to a lesser extent Catwoman, and, of course, the "1" on the cover.

I don`t understand why everyone coveting and overpaying for copies of Batman #1 doesn`t save up their pennies a bit longer to get a copy of Detective 27 instead.

Yeah, just that and the fact that it's th first issue of a title continuously published for 72 years up to issue 800 something, of the 2nd or 3rd best known comics character worldwide. You know, that and first Joker I guess.

; )

Superman 1

Yes i realize it is 39 book and the first time one character had his own comic but aside from a few pages it all Action reprints. Nothing going on here and its what the 3rd most expensive book. Come on that is nuts

James G

MC #1

Batman #1

Yeah, just that and the fact that it's th first issue of a title continuously published for 72 years up to issue 800 something, of the 2nd or 3rd best known comics character of all time. You know, that and first Joker I guess.

; )

Fixed that for you (thumbs u

All of the Suspense issues.

2198104213_dc3bc3c548_z.jpg

Number 3 has a great cover but none of the issues have anything better than a Crime comic interior.

I don't own this one anymore. Sold it to John Lee from Continental Comics.

This is just a generalized statement and there will definitely be outliers. In my opinion I would say

World's Best

World's Finest (except #3 which is about right).

Captain Marvel and Whiz later issues (after issues 10-20), especially Whiz 25

Captain Midnight (seem to consistently sell under guide)

More Fun (use to be super hot because several deep pocket collectors were chasing the run at the same time but when they dropped out and sold off their stuff prices tanked, as much as 50%)

All American except 16, 33, and 61

Non-Sandman cover Adventures but Sandman may be in the category soon

Pre-Robin Detectives (I look at these like More Funs were several years back, a lot of collectors chasing them now, but starting to see people dump them now just like More Fun)

Pre-Hero Detectives

All non-Superman cover early Actions (I know they are a lot cheaper than the Superman covers but still too high)

Human Torch and Submariner #1 (seem to sell under guide and certainly at a lower premium to other issues)

All Winners #1

Most Overvalued? - Adventure Comics #48 and Daredevil (Battles Hitler) #1 .

I really think so. It seems everyone NOT collecting Daredevil wants to show he/she has a copy. lol

I would add Daredevil Comics #11 and #27. Just because there’s a Hunchback-like character (which is not even a proper DD villain) on #11 and some torture on #27 (which does not even reflect in full the internal story) do I have to get mad to obtain these at decent prices? :P

All the #1 issues compared with the #2 issues.

:makepoint:

Right, always right, and even when #1 issues are mediocre. Daredevil Battles Hitler is a prime example, if you leave out the cover. DD #5, #6, #7 and #8 are all better than #1, if you leave the well-thought Hitler cover out. ;)

This is just a generalized statement and there will definitely be outliers. In my

Non-Sandman cover Adventures but Sandman may be in the category soon

Pre-Robin Detectives

Let's hope so, because at current prices they are a stretch for me to pick-up.

Right, always right, and even when #1 issues are mediocre. Daredevil Battles Hitler is a prime example, if you leave out the cover. DD #5, #6, #7 and #8 are all better than #1, if you leave the well-thought Hitler cover out. ;)

I don't have a DD 5, 6, 7, or 8, but I find it hard to believe that any of them have a better interior than #1. DD Battles Hitler is golden age royalty in terms of story.

I don't have a DD 5, 6, 7, or 8, but I find it hard to believe that any of them have a better interior than #1. DD Battles Hitler is golden age royalty in terms of story.

Agreed. Some of the best art of the early GA, especially the Jack Cole stuff.