• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unwanted Advertising on my CGC books

42 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif

I just had my roof shingles replaced, and the company asked if they could put a sign out in the lawn for advertising. I said sure, how much of a discount will you give me? It was a win-win situation.

A disturbing trend I'm seeing from two dealers: Metropolis and Comiclink, is that they provide unwanted and unjustified advertising on the ITEMS I PURCHASE by placing very hard to remove stickers on the back of my books. Does anyone else think this is unwarranted, unjustified, or just plain tacky? I feel like billing back the time it takes to take the sticker off, or else a reholders fee.

Exhibits below. Whatcha think?

Exhibit A

58212305.jpg

Exhibit B

58096035.jpg

"goo-gone" wink.gif.....

GOO-Gone

Yep, a friend said goo-gone would do the trick.

Do you guys think this is cool, or am I just being oversensitive? I mean, I DID pay for the case--I know folks freak when there is cracks and scratches on the case--why would this be any different?

I agree these stickers are very annoying and just plain tacky but a part of doing bussiness with Comiclink and Metropolis. I just buy the book and take off the sticker.

Eric

Sterling, that is ABSOLUTELY uncalled for and would pi$$ me off. OK, put the sticker on the flap of a comic bag BUT NOT ON A FREAKIN' SLAB. Geez, that would certainly sour me on a business that did this to a CGCed book I purchased. And if I was examining it in person, I'd put it right back down and go on my way. Of course if you are planning on crackin' the slab, it'd be no big deal. -----Sid

they are annoying, and pushy. but advertising??? hardly. The book sits in a box in your home. Who's gonna see this advertising. Their agency should be fired!! If anything its an unofficial but unsightly tracking census item so you (and anyone after you) know where you got it from....

call me when they start puting the stickets on th efron over the cover or label!!

I think they serve a minor service.If some scammer gets copies of scans of these books,it is easier to track down the owners. Also ,it keeps people from claiming the book is part of an original owner collection.It also helps buyers figure out what the flippers paid for the books and how long he's had it. As has been noted,they are not hard to remove with a little goobgone.

Yep, a friend said goo-gone would do the trick.

Do you guys think this is cool, or am I just being oversensitive?

I find it very annoying also. I resent the fact that I've got to go buy "goo-gone" to get rid of them when I can't think of any other way it'll help me in life other than to remove these stupid stickers off of slabs. mad.gif

they are annoying, and pushy. but advertising??? hardly. The book sits in a box in your home. Who's gonna see this advertising. Their agency should be fired!! If anything its an unofficial but unsightly tracking census item so you (and anyone after you) know where you got it from....

call me when they start puting the stickets on th efron over the cover or label!!

The message isn't for me--until its time for me to sell my book. Also I'm thinking they are betting that I will be too lazy (and yes-I am) and the NEXT person who buys my book (if outside their sphere of influence) gets an instant message "Vader: sell this book back to me---it is your DESTINY."

27_laughing.gif

Ironically, the label serves to anoy CGC collectors like me so I can give them free advertising on the boards foreheadslap.gif Nice dealers and all, don't get me wrong, but NO MORE LABEL MADNESS---PLEASE!!! insane.gif

The message isn't for me--until its time for me to sell my book. Also I'm thinking they are betting that I will be too lazy (and yes-I am) and the NEXT person who buys my book (if outside their sphere of influence) gets an instant message "Vader: sell this book back to me---it is your DESTINY."

27_laughing.gif

Ironically, the label serves to anoy CGC collectors like me so I can give them free advertising on the boards foreheadslap.gif Nice dealers and all, don't get me wrong, but NO MORE LABEL MADNESS---PLEASE!!! insane.gif

I dont mind stickers on my mylars... it helps me identify which copy I bought from which dealer if I have multiple copies. But I dont own multiples in CGC slabs and they are easy enough to identify by grade or page whiteness. But the stickers while ugly dont bother me all that much. You have a point though: if they are advertising we should get a little something for them from the dealer to display them!!

Im curious what Vinnie and Josh will say here as to the reason they use these stickers?

sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif

I just had my roof shingles replaced, and the company asked if they could put a sign out in the lawn for advertising. I said sure, how much of a discount will you give me? It was a win-win situation.

A disturbing trend I'm seeing from two dealers: Metropolis and Comiclink, is that they provide unwanted and unjustified advertising on the ITEMS I PURCHASE by placing very hard to remove stickers on the back of my books. Does anyone else think this is unwarranted, unjustified, or just plain tacky? I feel like billing back the time it takes to take the sticker off, or else a reholders fee.

Exhibits below. Whatcha think?

Exhibit A

58212305.jpg

Exhibit B

58096035.jpg

I agree, and have seen several of the big name dealers doing it. I am surprised they haven't gone as far as sticking it over the CGC logo on the front. 893naughty-thumb.gif