• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unwanted Advertising on my CGC books

42 posts in this topic

"goo-gone" wink.gif.....

GOO-Gone

Yep, a friend said goo-gone would do the trick.

Do you guys think this is cool, or am I just being oversensitive? I mean, I DID pay for the case--I know folks freak when there is cracks and scratches on the case--why would this be any different?

I think you're being overly sensitive, but we all have our quirks. Comic collectors are weird people. You freak out over stickers on your slabs, and I paint lipstick and makeup on men and inanimate objects and turn it into my avatar. Who is to say who is normal and who is certifiably nuts? confused-smiley-013.gif

Now having said that, I think that all of you [!@#%^&^] should quit your whining and get a grip. acclaim.gif

I don't know about Comiclink but Metropolis uses those stickers to identify the issue. Maybe as some sort of tracking system? They're found on all comics you buy from them, slabbed or unslabbed.

I will admit, stickers on the slabs would irritate the hell out of me also....

Jim

I do not mind ComicLink, Metropolis, and PCE adding stickers to advertize their services, but I do not like the fact that the stickers do not peel off easily. We cannot buy Goo-Gone in the U.K. so all of my stickers are left on the holders. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I do not mind ComicLink, Metropolis, and PCE adding stickers to advertize their services, but I do not like the fact that the stickers do not peel off easily. We cannot buy Goo-Gone in the U.K. so all of my stickers are left on the holders. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I don't mind ComicLink or Metropolis either, but I HATE that PCE often puts their sticker on the FRONT of the CGC case.

I don't mind ComicLink or Metropolis either, but I HATE that PCE often puts their sticker on the FRONT of the CGC case.

NO WAY. Do you have a picture of that. That is total [!@#%^&^]. 893whatthe.gif

Now having said that, I think that all of you [!@#%^&^] should quit your whining and get a grip. acclaim.gif

I got yer grip right here. 27_laughing.gif

Hey, just making conversation. Hopefully, if nothing else, those considering a purchase from these dealers will have the info they need so if they don't want it they can get proactive about it. acclaim.gif

"When your strange, people come out of the rain...when your strange..."

FRONT:

544759-gsd5g2.jpg

BACK:

544759-gsd5bl.jpg

544759-gsd5g2.jpg.6b53f0b9823b14d2314f0933f03011a6.jpg

I think you are talking about the Pacific Coast pedigree sticker. Yep--they do that too....ironically, I think I excluded them because they don't put stickers on their books anymore...

57618024.jpg

Do you guys think this is cool, or am I just being oversensitive? I mean, I DID pay for the case--I know folks freak when there is cracks and scratches on the case--why would this be any different?

Thanks for reminding me. You owe me re-holdering fees for that ASM 131 you sold me a while back. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Not a new phenomenon, they've been doing this pretty much since CGC'd books became prevalent. In addition, PCE does it (as has been mentioned on this thread, and I had not been aware that they'd stopped doing it) and so does JP. Can't say it's really bothered me, as it helps keep track of who I bought an issue from, and it's often interesting to see who the dealer who I bought it from bought it from themselves (yes, dealers have a hard time removing another dealer's sticker too). It would be interesting to see if a dealer would agree not to put the sticker on a book they're selling you, although my guess is they slap on the sticker as soon as the virgin slab comes into their hands. My guess is they would not remove it upon request unless your name is Brulato or Tripps or some such person.

sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif

I just had my roof shingles replaced, and the company asked if they could put a sign out in the lawn for advertising. I said sure, how much of a discount will you give me? It was a win-win situation.

A disturbing trend I'm seeing from two dealers: Metropolis and Comiclink, is that they provide unwanted and unjustified advertising on the ITEMS I PURCHASE by placing very hard to remove stickers on the back of my books. Does anyone else think this is unwarranted, unjustified, or just plain tacky? I feel like billing back the time it takes to take the sticker off, or else a reholders fee.

Exhibits below. Whatcha think?

Exhibit A

58212305.jpg

Exhibit B

58096035.jpg

No problem here at all. Use a stright edge razor blade and a drop of windex. Scrape that baby right off and "whamo" back to new.

You may have to sell the book as "restored" since work was preformed on it!

As far as putting stickers on slabbs I agree it stinks and I usally take them off right away. I'm willing to bet that Metro and Comic Link will stop this practice as soon as they read this thread.

Not to be a smart [!@#%^&^] or anything but I would take that bet. I doubt Metro or Comiclink will change their sticker practices based on this thread because #1) they simply don't have to and #2) not everyone in this thread is bothered by it. It's not even a unanimous opinion that it's bothersome in this thread. Would I like to see them stop? Yes. But will they? I doubt it.

Eric

im still waiting for their reples on the practice. Why they do it and whether they would stop if asked. Maybe Blazing can chime in on the subject, Hes not afraid to [!@#%^&^] off other dealers with his opinions!!

As far as putting stickers on slabbs I agree it stinks and I usally take them off right away. I'm willing to bet that Metro and Comic Link will stop this practice as soon as they read this thread.

27_laughing.gif Yeah riiiiight...

How to get the sticker off isn't the reason for the thread, rather the practice of placing advertising on books collectors purchase and to elevate the awareness of this business practice. grin.gif

cgcfan--sorry I didn't find the thread where you mentioned this practice otherwise I would've appended that thread.

27_laughing.gif Yeah riiiiight...

893crossfingers-thumb.gif