• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom variant program

861 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revival-1-2-3-6-7-8-Phantom-Variant-Set-6-/221201551009?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3380a3cea1

Isn't this against what Phantom variant is suppose to be? That looks straight of the LCS shelf.

What is it supposed to be? I'm not being sarcastic or a smart-, I've asked this before and got no responses. I thought I read somewhere it was supposed to charitable or something, but I could not find any actual information anywhere about what it is supposed to be about other than a few stores having their own private cover to push?

"The Phantom Group is a world-wide gathering of comic retailers working together to provide unique comic experiences! The Phantom's goal is to support creators and publishers at a levels! "

Oh! You mean: "The Phantom Group is a pro-active organic growth experience dedicated to thinking outside the box and streamlining sustainability bringing enterprising core competency to the table to create more next generation solutions!"

Says a lot without saying anything.

Edit: That was me being a smart . Sorry.

I don't think his question is about what phantom variant is about. His question is how come that seller is allow to sell issue 3 & 8 a week before it release, is that violate the distribution contract?

They can charge what they like. I see it range anywhere from cover to $19.99. I buy mine at cover!! (thumbs u

I'm pretty sure that the creators of the independent books that have had Phantom covers are very appreciative of the fact that 1-2k extra orders are coming in per issue. This is about taking a bunch of flippers, collectors, fans and getting them something they want: Variants and at the same time, increasing the wallets of all involved. Some stores charge cover, some don't. Their choice. My LCS charges cover. None of them charge cover for online orders. If they did, someone would buy them out and flip them because there is a demand for them.

There are a hundred ways to argue for and against this program (and anything like it) but as long as there is a demand for variants, this sort of thing will not stop. Vote with your wallet, not your keyboard.

I'm pretty sure that the creators of the independent books that have had Phantom covers are very appreciative of the fact that 1-2k extra orders are coming in per issue. This is about taking a bunch of flippers, collectors, fans and getting them something they want: Variants and at the same time, increasing the wallets of all involved. Some stores charge cover, some don't. Their choice. My LCS charges cover. None of them charge cover for online orders. If they did, someone would buy them out and flip them because there is a demand for them.

There are a hundred ways to argue for and against this program (and anything like it) but as long as there is a demand for variants, this sort of thing will not stop. Vote with your wallet, not your keyboard.

I don't have an LCS in the Phantom program but I've established some really good relationships to still be able to purchase them at cover. I could flip them but I just don't.

"It has a benefit to me the retailer. *It is a program designed to drive consumers to our brick-and-mortar establishments by offering them a unique shopping experience."

The press releases I have read contradict each other. But how is selling on eBay days before the release doing this? A unique shopping experience? Brick and mortar establishment? I'm sitting in my lab on my computer.

"It has a benefit to me the retailer. *It is a program designed to drive consumers to our brick-and-mortar establishments by offering them a unique shopping experience."

The press releases I have read contradict each other. But how is selling on eBay days before the release doing this? A unique shopping experience? Brick and mortar establishment? I'm sitting in my lab on my computer.

I don't think he (or anyone else involved) is cannibalizing their retail brick and mortar sales and experience in order to sell on eBay. It is just another way to reach more customers. Not everyone can go to a physical shop. A lot of people use eBay exclusively for their shopping online.

There would be a problem if they pulled them from the shelf and sold them exclusively online/eBay. There is an LCS in my area that does this all the time (and it is the reason I rarely visit them!)

This book comes out tomorrow. If one sells on eBay today, they would not be breaking any rules. The buyer would not have the issue in hand before the street date. There are tons of variants up right now by many top named retailers on eBay selling weeks in advance.

I don't think he (or anyone else involved) is cannibalizing their retail brick and mortar sales and experience in order to sell on eBay. It is just another way to reach more customers. Not everyone can go to a physical shop. A lot of people use eBay exclusively for their shopping online.

There would be a problem if they pulled them from the shelf and sold them exclusively online/eBay. There is an LCS in my area that does this all the time (and it is the reason I rarely visit them!)

This book comes out tomorrow. If one sells on eBay today, they would not be breaking any rules. The buyer would not have the issue in hand before the street date. There are tons of variants up right now by many top named retailers on eBay selling weeks in advance.

But the listing for issue #3 & #8 is 5 days ago! And I don't think it is a pre-sale either when I first check it out last week.

I agree with Mangbus. If my LCS can make an extra buck doing anything else to stay in business, I'm all for it. If I don't believe in the particular program or strategy I just wont participate.

To Andy's comments...I've known Mangbus a long time. I didn't know he facilitated anything outside of his own sketch covers that he does...and i didn't know he ever helped set up a con. I think you've got him confused with someone else to be totally honest.

Fair enough mate - I've always had al lot of time for his comments, think hes one of the better posters.

I must be mixing him up with someone else who gets Sigs..my bad - I will remove (not that it was a bad or offensive post anyway, but if its the wrong bloke,its kinda pointless!)

Fair enough mate - I've always had al lot of time for his comments, think hes one of the better posters.

I must be mixing him up with someone else who gets Sigs..my bad - I will remove (not that it was a bad or offensive post anyway, but if its the wrong bloke,its kinda pointless!)

must have missed it. Thanks Magnum for clarifying.

I find that everyone has been pretty good in this thread (and several others) lately.

I wouldn't have taken offense to it. It's not my thing to get all bent outta shape over comics. ;)

Thats why you are one of the better posters mate (thumbs u

NEVER claimed the Phantom program was a charity.

Its designed to build traffic to comic book shops.

I do try to chose books that have a benefit to independent creators.

Next weeks offering has NOTHING to do with Indy creators, other than the fact that I'm micro distributing Sam Humphries Sacrifice #6 with it...

guardians1.JPG

Next weeks offering has NOTHING to do with Indy creators, other than the fact that I'm micro distributing Sam Humphries Sacrifice #6 with it...
Sacrifice!

DYI comic for the indy fans.

I read Dark Horse has picked up the rights to do a deluxe hardcover.

8575306618_7c94086e7a_z.jpg

Indeed they have.

I have distributed Sacrifice to 31 shops for Mr. Humphries.

Great book.

guardians1.JPG

Great placement of the logo and it just looks GREAT!! (thumbs u

guardians1.JPG

Great placement of the logo and it just looks GREAT!! (thumbs u

Thanks.

We have a bible for the marks application.

( it's not always followed )

I'm looking for a phantom effect that's readable yet blends in with the art.

>>>I wanted to see what it would take for my LCS to get in on the Phantom variant program if that is possible?<<<

That's a question that I get daily.

First check out

http://phantomvariant.com/blog/

And see if there is a retailer in your area.

If not, I'm open to the idea. It's my goal to have a Phantom shop in every state by the end of 2013.

Have them email me.

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

guardians1.JPG