• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck sez: he's a victim of Hurricane Sandy!

155 posts in this topic

Have you ever run into the guy at a show? The aura of self-absorption is repellent.

He's 100% skeevy.

Chuck used to have a Mile High Comic Shop on Harbor Blvd. in Anaheim,near Disneyland.I used to go there when I was a young fellow,and I would ask him why a Fine would have a NM prices all the time.He would say because he had to cover the costs of convenience of having every comic I would need,you know some BS to thwart a young childs mind.

That's probably why you've grown up to be so bitter!

"Oakman: The Beginning"

:jokealert:

lolhm:(

I think it is more like someone (dgarthwaite maybe?) told Chuck about the bad PR he is getting and that is what made him change his offer.

Exactly! someone said something and that was his response to it,damage control must come swiftly.

Seems to me like overcompensation for a bad misjudgement. Quite a one-eighty.

Not really. Comics are from his reserve stock - i.e. he has so many of that issue that he doesn't need them. If they are that common then they are cheap. Let's assume They cost him 10 cents a copy.

10,000 comics = $1,000

Chuck's customers to pay for shipping through the new codeword.

Wonder how much profit he made through the last and new passwords hm

All he's trying to do is convert inventory to cash to pay his bills.

If you were paying your house note and then had your income cut in half, you'd consider selling off your possessions to get your cash flow back to normal also.

With most people, it doesn't matter how much they make, they find a way to spend it. The more you are used to making it, the harder it is to go back to making less.

Right now he's willing to sacrifice inventory to get his income back to where it was.

DG

Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't have any problem with him converting inventory to cash to pay bills. If he had simply sent out an e-mail saying that he was extending his "sale" for another week or two because extenuating circumstances warranted it (and without mentioning the the storm or its impact), then this thread wouldn't likely exist.

What I do have an issue with, however, is his portraying himself as or making any implication in any way that he's a "victim" of Hurricane Sandy -- and if you look at what he said in his e-mail

Giving away our most desirable back issue treasures at 65% off is quite a bitter pill for us to swallow, but we have to be pragmatic during this crisis, and offer those of you who live in areas unaffected by the storm exceptional incentive to place an order with us while much of the East Coast is still without power. Any assistance that you might be able to provide would be most appreciated...

then that seems to be a pretty fair assessment of what he's doing. Asking for "assistance" when there's untold numbers of people on the East Coast who are in real need of it is simply ... well ... :facepalm:

This strikes a bit of a nerve with me as I live in an area of Louisiana that took some of the worst effects of Issac a short time ago. My in-laws are living with us while their house is repaired from the damage caused by several feet of floodwater. I have other friends and family who lost a lot during both Issac and during Katrina as well. My best friend lives in New Jersey, and while he made it through Sandy relatively unscathed, he has family who weren't as lucky. Those are the people who are being negatively impacted by those hurricanes -- not a snake-oil salesman who didn't see a drop of rain or a gust of wind touch anything he owns.

The simple fact is that many businesses are going to be negatively impacted. Not on the scale of having your house flooded or blown away entirely, but it's still going to be a real crisis they face. You have a right to feel offended, but that doesn't change the fact that he could very well be facing a personal crisis with his own business because of this.

DG

He isn't.

He never does.

He's a snake-oil salesman and if the Plague ever made a return and killed millions, he'd have a BLACKDEATH codeword sale to help keep him in pottery and 'herbal remedies'.

FT (worship)

always so wise and your sig line is never hard on the eyes...again (worship)

Have you ever run into the guy at a show? The aura of self-absorption is repellent.

He's 100% skeevy.

A couple of years ago, a fellow Boardie and myself were going through his stock at Heroes Con. Somehow as we chatted, he began talking about his new warehouse. We were all smiling and joking, it was very casual. At some point in the middle of his story, the Boardie asked a rather innocent question about some detail in Chuck's story. Well, you'd think someone had just farted in the middle of the Queen's coronation by Chuck's reaction. He immediately said "don't interrupt me while I'm talking" (or something curt to that affect) in a rather harsh tone and resumed his story without missing a beat. The Boardie and I quickly finished our business and walked away, looking at each other like WTF was THAT? Keep in mind, were both paying customers who were ready to spend money and the guy has a five second Chef Ramsey moment in front of us.

The self-absorption is quite real. The accusation of Narcissism is spot on.

I think it is more like someone (dgarthwaite maybe?) told Chuck about the bad PR he is getting and that is what made him change his offer.

Exactly! someone said something and that was his response to it,damage control must come swiftly.

Not really. Comics are from his reserve stock - i.e. he has so many of that issue that he doesn't need them. If they are that common then they are cheap. Let's assume They cost him 10 cents a copy.

10,000 comics = $1,000

Thanks. (thumbs u

Just overstock that cost cents in the first place and is taking up warehouse space. I didn't think of it from an accountancy perspective at all. I was just focused on his attitude suddenly switching to polar opposite.

10,000 comics = $1,000

Thanks. (thumbs u

Just overstock that cost cents in the first place and is taking up warehouse space. I didn't think of it from an accountancy perspective. I was simply focused on his attitude suddenly switching to the polar opposite.

I know right! Where did the part about warehouse space come into his bad decisions ?

A couple of years ago, a fellow Boardie and myself were going through his stock at Heroes Con. Somehow as we chatted, he began talking about his new warehouse. We were all smiling and joking, it was very casual. At some point in the middle of his story, the Boardie asked a rather innocent question about some detail in Chuck's story. Well, you'd think someone had just farted in the middle of the Queen's coronation by Chuck's reaction.

lol (thumbs u

10,000 comics = $1,000

Thanks. (thumbs u

Just overstock that cost cents in the first place and is taking up warehouse space. I didn't think of it from an accountancy perspective. I was simply focused on his attitude suddenly switching to the polar opposite.

I know right! Where did the part about warehouse space come into his bad decisions ?

An opportunity for some very early Spring cleaning, getting rid of worthless clutter in storage? George has a good point. Hardly philanthropic.

He's 100% skeevy.

A couple of years ago, a fellow Boardie and myself were going through his stock at Heroes Con. Somehow as we chatted, he began talking about his new warehouse. We were all smiling and joking, it was very casual. At some point in the middle of his story, the Boardie asked a rather innocent question about some detail in Chuck's story. Well, you'd think someone had just farted in the middle of the Queen's coronation by Chuck's reaction. He immediately said "don't interrupt me while I'm talking" (or something curt to that affect) in a rather harsh tone and resumed his story without missing a beat. The Boardie and I quickly finished our business and walked away, looking at each other like WTF was THAT? Keep in mind, were both paying customers who were ready to spend money and the guy has a five second Chef Ramsey moment in front of us.

And THIS is the guy who gets the greatest comic find in history.

I would have kept interrupting just to see what would happen.

What an individual_without_enough_empathy. I urge everyone to call him on it if they see him at a con.

I will be helping my friends continue to dig out and recover their stuff later on today so they can quickly get back online and buy more stuff so Chuck will be a-okay.

He is officially on my, "I wish you death on Christmas" list.

Chuck used to have a Mile High Comic Shop on Harbor Blvd. in Anaheim,near Disneyland.I used to go there when I was a young fellow,and I would ask him why a Fine would have a NM prices all the time.He would say because he had to cover the costs of convenience of having every comic I would need,you know some BS to thwart a young childs mind.

Dave, you know how memory is imperfect and details can be added, modified or erased with time, then maybe your encounter back then was more like...

'Well, you see, young man, Mile High is a wondrous place, full of all the comics in the world, which is why a king's ransom is asked. But, with that tale told, now I have to leave you and return to my Pottery in the snow-capped mountains of Colorado, upon a sled drawn by magic woodchucks.'

And with that it's clear I need some sleep.

He knows full well that no one is going to go for this "free comic" thing. No one who has had significant damage to their home or neighborhood is going to take the time to photograph and document their comic losses for Chuck in order to get a long box full of Superpro 1s and Darkhawk 10s.

He knows full well that no one is going to go for this "free comic" thing. No one who has had significant damage to their home or neighborhood is going to take the time to photograph and document their comic losses for Chuck in order to get a long box full of Superpro 1s and Darkhawk 10s.

I know, right?

"Hi, Chuck! Gosh, thanks for offering to replace some books us folks affected by Sandy have lost. Here's a list of the books that were destroyed, along with receipts of purchase - many from Mile High, natch - scans of the books and pictures of the damage. You can see the area where the water rose by the stains on the wall. That overturned longbox there was my Avengers 1-100 run. Thanks again, you're the best!"

"Hello, and greetings from Mile High Comics, America's largest comic book retailer (TM pending). We've had a chance to go over your list. Firstly, I have to say you have my condolences for your loss. Back in '95, a freak storm took out part of our secondary warehouse here in Colorado, and many pristine treasures from the Mile High inventory were ruined. During clean up, I nearly threw out my back while single-handedly lifting a longbox full of hard-to-find back issues I had only just purchased the week before at a convention in Illinois. Luckily, I was able to overcome the pain and save the comics, although sadly many of our treasured inventory received significant water damage. You might remember the SUPERSOAKER codeword sale.

At any rate, I'm sorry to say that many of the books in your list are not available for replacement. Out of the 1750 books you indicated, the only ones that are in our super special replacement stock are the X-Factor, Justice League Europe and Youngblood issues. To show how truly I care about your troubles, however, you can use the super-secret HELPABROTHEROUT codeword for a fantastic 30% discount on all Mile High back issues! Normally, it would be very difficult for me to justify offering such a crazy discount on our already underpriced stock, but I just feel that it's more important for the hobby to try and stick together during a tragedy of this nature. The codeword does not apply to trade paperbacks or third-party graded books. Happy collecting!"

I know, right?

"Hi, Chuck! Gosh, thanks for offering to replace some books us folks affected by Sandy have lost. Here's a list of the books that were destroyed, along with receipts of purchase - many from Mile High, natch - scans of the books and pictures of the damage. You can see the area where the water rose by the stains on the wall. That overturned longbox there was my Avengers 1-100 run. Thanks again, you're the best!"

"Hello, and greetings from Mile High Comics, America's largest comic book retailer (TM pending). We've had a chance to go over your list. Firstly, I have to say you have my condolences for your loss. Back in '95, a freak storm took out part of our secondary warehouse here in Colorado, and many pristine treasures from the Mile High inventory were ruined. During clean up, I nearly threw out my back while single-handedly lifting a longbox full of hard-to-find back issues I had only just purchased the week before at a convention in Illinois. Luckily, I was able to overcome the pain and save the comics, although sadly many of our treasured inventory received significant water damage. You might remember the SUPERSOAKER codeword sale.

At any rate, I'm sorry to say that many of the books in your list are not available for replacement. Out of the 1750 books you indicated, the only ones that are in our super special replacement stock are the X-Factor, Justice League Europe and Youngblood issues. To show how truly I care about your troubles, however, you can use the super-secret HELPABROTHEROUT codeword for a fantastic 30% discount on all Mile High back issues! Normally, it would be very difficult for me to justify offering such a crazy discount on our already underpriced stock, but I just feel that it's more important for the hobby to try and stick together during a tragedy of this nature. The codeword does not apply to trade paperbacks or third-party graded books. Happy collecting!"

Wait... Are you Chuck? This email seems too real...

Wow. Sounds to me like a five second burst of someone's real character shining through five minutes of a BS image put on for public consumption. I would have walked away immediately if that had happened to me. I've never gone to a show that he was at, but stories like this make me pretty sure it's an experience I won't miss anytime soon.

This can very well win the award for "best 2012 comics general thread"!

All it needs is Chuck to register here (if he's not already) and start replying to his detractors, and you would have an epic moment in the making. Not that it'll happen, but you never know right? hm