• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck sez: he's a victim of Hurricane Sandy!

155 posts in this topic

Well, I wasn't intending to bump this thread again, but I felt I had to do so to be fair after getting a new email from Mile High just now. Kudos for finding the right tone and stepping up, even if he did take the scenic route to get there.

Agreed. That's a generous offer on his part and, as you said, an example of him stepping up in the right way. Whether this was his intent all along, or whether this is a reaction to him getting feedback that his previous sale was being taken in a way unflattering to Mile High, we'll never know. But it's still good to see a positive result happening in the end.

ETA: After further review, as mentioned since, it's probably not an offer that's going to do anyone affected much good, or an offer that anyone will probably even be able to take up, so it seems as much damage control as goodwill on their part.

While I'm sure Chuck says that he is very successful (and I assume he is) - I think I'd be sad and disappointed in myself if I sacrificed common decency for financial success.

+1

Many people here died in the storm, others lost everything, while millions others are still without power and faced a massive nightmare this past week, but heaven forbid, almighty Chuck loses some money.

The worst thing is that Chuck is always around here in NJ going to the small shows looking for deals. It's great to see that over the years of coming here, he's built such friendships with people that he would care less about them than his pockets.

I can't stand that guy.

I think it is more like someone (dgarthwaite maybe?) told Chuck about the bad PR he is getting and that is what made him change his offer.

Exactly! someone said something and that was his response to it,damage control must come swiftly.

---

Free Comics For Hurricane Sandy Victims

Howdy!

I want to start off today by thanking everyone who has helped us to keep our sales intact during the disruptions of Hurricane Sandy. Thanks to your generous support, we have been able to maintain our operations even though a significant percentage of our clientele were without power for the past week

Glad he was able to take care of himself first so he could start to think about someone else. :eyeroll:

At least he's found a place for his drek.

I think it is more like someone (dgarthwaite maybe?) told Chuck about the bad PR he is getting and that is what made him change his offer.

Exactly! someone said something and that was his response to it,damage control must come swiftly.

Seems to me like overcompensation for a bad misjudgement. Quite a one-eighty.

+1

I'm thinking he lurked on the board. It's either that or he had an epiphany at 2am and thought "wow, FRANKENSTORM was a really sleazy idea!"

Which scenario is more likely? hm

All he's trying to do is convert inventory to cash to pay his bills.

If you were paying your house note and then had your income cut in half, you'd consider selling off your possessions to get your cash flow back to normal also.

With most people, it doesn't matter how much they make, they find a way to spend it. The more you are used to making it, the harder it is to go back to making less.

Right now he's willing to sacrifice inventory to get his income back to where it was.

DG

Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't have any problem with him converting inventory to cash to pay bills. If he had simply sent out an e-mail saying that he was extending his "sale" for another week or two because extenuating circumstances warranted it (and without mentioning the the storm or its impact), then this thread wouldn't likely exist.

What I do have an issue with, however, is his portraying himself as or making any implication in any way that he's a "victim" of Hurricane Sandy -- and if you look at what he said in his e-mail

Giving away our most desirable back issue treasures at 65% off is quite a bitter pill for us to swallow, but we have to be pragmatic during this crisis, and offer those of you who live in areas unaffected by the storm exceptional incentive to place an order with us while much of the East Coast is still without power. Any assistance that you might be able to provide would be most appreciated...

then that seems to be a pretty fair assessment of what he's doing. Asking for "assistance" when there's untold numbers of people on the East Coast who are in real need of it is simply ... well ... :facepalm:

This strikes a bit of a nerve with me as I live in an area of Louisiana that took some of the worst effects of Issac a short time ago. My in-laws are living with us while their house is repaired from the damage caused by several feet of floodwater. I have other friends and family who lost a lot during both Issac and during Katrina as well. My best friend lives in New Jersey, and while he made it through Sandy relatively unscathed, he has family who weren't as lucky. Those are the people who are being negatively impacted by those hurricanes -- not a snake-oil salesman who didn't see a drop of rain or a gust of wind touch anything he owns.

The simple fact is that many businesses are going to be negatively impacted. Not on the scale of having your house flooded or blown away entirely, but it's still going to be a real crisis they face. You have a right to feel offended, but that doesn't change the fact that he could very well be facing a personal crisis with his own business because of this.

DG

He isn't.

He never does.

He's a snake-oil salesman and if the Plague ever made a return and killed millions, he'd have a BLACKDEATH codeword sale to help keep him in pottery and 'herbal remedies'.

If you were paying your house note and then had your income cut in half, you'd consider selling off your possessions to get your cash flow back to normal also.

With most people, it doesn't matter how much they make, they find a way to spend it. The more you are used to making it, the harder it is to go back to making less.

Right now he's willing to sacrifice inventory to get his income back to where it was.

DG

Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't have any problem with him converting inventory to cash to pay bills. If he had simply sent out an e-mail saying that he was extending his "sale" for another week or two because extenuating circumstances warranted it (and without mentioning the the storm or its impact), then this thread wouldn't likely exist.

What I do have an issue with, however, is his portraying himself as or making any implication in any way that he's a "victim" of Hurricane Sandy -- and if you look at what he said in his e-mail

Giving away our most desirable back issue treasures at 65% off is quite a bitter pill for us to swallow, but we have to be pragmatic during this crisis, and offer those of you who live in areas unaffected by the storm exceptional incentive to place an order with us while much of the East Coast is still without power. Any assistance that you might be able to provide would be most appreciated...

then that seems to be a pretty fair assessment of what he's doing. Asking for "assistance" when there's untold numbers of people on the East Coast who are in real need of it is simply ... well ... :facepalm:

This strikes a bit of a nerve with me as I live in an area of Louisiana that took some of the worst effects of Issac a short time ago. My in-laws are living with us while their house is repaired from the damage caused by several feet of floodwater. I have other friends and family who lost a lot during both Issac and during Katrina as well. My best friend lives in New Jersey, and while he made it through Sandy relatively unscathed, he has family who weren't as lucky. Those are the people who are being negatively impacted by those hurricanes -- not a snake-oil salesman who didn't see a drop of rain or a gust of wind touch anything he owns.

The simple fact is that many businesses are going to be negatively impacted. Not on the scale of having your house flooded or blown away entirely, but it's still going to be a real crisis they face. You have a right to feel offended, but that doesn't change the fact that he could very well be facing a personal crisis with his own business because of this.

DG

He isn't.

He never does.

He's a snake-oil salesman and if the Plague ever made a return and killed millions, he'd have a BLACKDEATH codeword sale to help keep him in pottery and 'herbal remedies'.

Herbal remedies. lol

DG

DG

He isn't.

He never does.

For the first time in a while I actually laughed out loud!

I could totally see a BLACKDEATH code word! :roflmao:

Well, I wasn't intending to bump this thread again, but I felt I had to do so to be fair after getting a new email from Mile High just now. Kudos for finding the right tone and stepping up, even if he did take the scenic route to get there.

---

Free Comics For Hurricane Sandy Victims

Howdy!

I want to start off today by thanking everyone who has helped us to keep our sales intact during the disruptions of Hurricane Sandy. Thanks to your generous support, we have been able to maintain our operations even though a significant percentage of our clientele were without power for the past week. That having been said, we are now in a position to begin helping those who were affected by the storm. I am going to start off by offering to give away for free 10,000 of our comics from our reserve stock to those in the path of Sandy who may have lost part, or all, of their personal collections. Send us proof of your losses, and we will help you to replace at least a few of the your comics that were destroyed by the storm. We will even pay the shipping costs of delivering these free comics to your home...

So you know, we already know that this is going to be a difficult program to administer, as we are going to have to first verify claims, and then try to provide individual help based upon case-by case considerations. If you are among those who lost comics in the storm, please feel free to let us know the extent of your losses. Our reserve stocks generally do not contain very many high-demand back issues, but we can definitely help you out with your replacement of runs of issues on many bread-and-butter titles. Receiving a free long box of back issues clearly cannot make up for the devastation you may have suffered, but we do want to help you to the extent that we can.

This same offer of free back issues is available to comics retailers who may have suffered flood damage. If receiving a couple of free long boxes of our reserve back issues and extra TPB's might help you to get back on your feet, please write to me at chuck@milehighcomics.com. I will gladly help you, just as so many other have helped us to overcome unexpected difficulties in the past.

My only other news note for today is to let everyone else who reads this newsletter know that I am changing the name of our current 30% off codeword sale on all of our back issue comics and magazines to SANDYRELIEF. A percentage of the funds received from this sale will help us to cover the costs of shipping the free comics to the folks in the Northeast who present claims to us. If we continue to receive additional support through SANDYRELIEF, I will add another 10,000 of our reserve comics into our contributions.

Sincerely,

Chuck Rozanski

Perhaps they can use the Dazzlers like sandbags to keep the flood waters from destroying their homes.

Have you ever run into the guy at a show? The aura of self-absorption is repellent.

He's 100% skeevy.

Chuck used to have a Mile High Comic Shop on Harbor Blvd. in Anaheim,near Disneyland.I used to go there when I was a young fellow,and I would ask him why a Fine would have a NM prices all the time.He would say because he had to cover the costs of convenience of having every comic I would need,you know some BS to thwart a young childs mind.

Have you ever run into the guy at a show? The aura of self-absorption is repellent.

He's 100% skeevy.

Chuck used to have a Mile High Comic Shop on Harbor Blvd. in Anaheim,near Disneyland.I used to go there when I was a young fellow,and I would ask him why a Fine would have a NM prices all the time.He would say because he had to cover the costs of convenience of having every comic I would need,you know some BS to thwart a young childs mind.

I see it worked. lol:baiting:

He's 100% skeevy.

That's probably why you've grown up to be so bitter!

"Oakman: The Beginning"

:jokealert:

He's 100% skeevy.

I see it worked. lol:baiting:

I have to say it did until I was about 17,then I just stopped going there. lol