• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck sez: he's a victim of Hurricane Sandy!

155 posts in this topic

This can very well win the award for "best 2012 comics general thread"!

All it needs is Chuck to register here (if he's not already) and start replying to his detractors, and you would have an epic moment in the making. Not that it'll happen, but you never know right? hm

Not likely---he's smart enough to know we won't be swayed.

All it needs is Chuck to register here (if he's not already) and start replying to his detractors, and you would have an epic moment in the making. Not that it'll happen, but you never know right? hm

You're right. And the collectors who frequent here, I suspect, are too savvy to be his main target market to begin with (a market which, as sterlingcomics pointed out earlier in this thread, is probably made up of a lot of first-time buyers just getting into the back issue collecting end), so I suspect he wouldn't care as much about how his image might be trashed in this particular venue -- a lot of us weren't buying from him before anyway.

You're right. But I have no doubt he monitors these boards regularly.

Textbook narcissists don't elevate their gaze above their navel cavity long enough to consider what others will or will not believe or even that they exist at all but for how they persist in order to serve him.

You're right. And the collectors who frequent here, I suspect, are too savvy to be his main target market to begin with (a market which, as sterlingcomics pointed out earlier in this thread, is probably made up of a lot of first-time buyers just getting into the back issue collecting end), so I suspect he wouldn't care as much about how his image might be trashed in this particular venue -- a lot of us weren't buying from him before anyway.

I've always assumed his bread and butter is back issue moderns, which he seems to buy and sell by the truckload. My impression -- gained strictly from reading his newsletters -- is that he performs a service of sorts by buying a lot of these books from other dealers. He uses his sales and marketing machine to sell them more easily than nearly anyone else could.

Most of his Gold or Silver is low grade, which he sells for above-market prices, although usually not greatly so if you use one of his ubiquitous discount codes. As someone else mentioned, the size of his back stock is probably one source of his appeal for people who want to pick up a run of some book. Just looking at his eBay store, if you have a sudden craving for a run of low-grade Bugs Bunny Four Colors, Chuck's your man! lol

That said, although I have a dim recollection of buying comics from him years ago, the only things I have bought from him in recent years are trade paperbacks and hard covers. He periodically runs 50% off sales (with free shipping), which seem to me to be genuinely good deals.

He knows full well that no one is going to go for this "free comic" thing. No one who has had significant damage to their home or neighborhood is going to take the time to photograph and document their comic losses for Chuck in order to get a long box full of Superpro 1s and Darkhawk 10s.

I know, right?

"Hi, Chuck! Gosh, thanks for offering to replace some books us folks affected by Sandy have lost. Here's a list of the books that were destroyed, along with receipts of purchase - many from Mile High, natch - scans of the books and pictures of the damage. You can see the area where the water rose by the stains on the wall. That overturned longbox there was my Avengers 1-100 run. Thanks again, you're the best!"

"Hello, and greetings from Mile High Comics, America's largest comic book retailer (TM pending). We've had a chance to go over your list. Firstly, I have to say you have my condolences for your loss. Back in '95, a freak storm took out part of our secondary warehouse here in Colorado, and many pristine treasures from the Mile High inventory were ruined. During clean up, I nearly threw out my back while single-handedly lifting a longbox full of hard-to-find back issues I had only just purchased the week before at a convention in Illinois. Luckily, I was able to overcome the pain and save the comics, although sadly many of our treasured inventory received significant water damage. You might remember the SUPERSOAKER codeword sale.

At any rate, I'm sorry to say that many of the books in your list are not available for replacement. Out of the 1750 books you indicated, the only ones that are in our super special replacement stock are the X-Factor, Justice League Europe and Youngblood issues. To show how truly I care about your troubles, however, you can use the super-secret HELPABROTHEROUT codeword for a fantastic 30% discount on all Mile High back issues! Normally, it would be very difficult for me to justify offering such a crazy discount on our already underpriced stock, but I just feel that it's more important for the hobby to try and stick together during a tragedy of this nature. The codeword does not apply to trade paperbacks or third-party graded books. Happy collecting!"

Dear Sal,

You are perfect to me just the way you are. Please don't ever change.

Love,

Dice

PS. :roflmao:

My favorite part of Sal's excellent. parody:

"I just feel that it's more important for the hobby to try and stick together during a tragedy of this nature. The codeword does not apply to trade paperbacks or third-party graded books."

:headbang:

You're right. But I have no doubt he monitors these boards regularly.

Of course he does.

Back in the early 90s I placed several orders with Mile High. The books weren't NM/M as claimed on the bags, but were nicely presenting 9.0 +s, I suppose. I stopped placing orders because what frustrated me most was how many out of stock items there were. I was only buying cheap specials list books, run-of-the-mill BA and moderns, nothing scarce or particularly hot. Despite using the claim of being a 'one stop shop' as a justification for high pricing, I personally didn't really see any concrete evidence for this at the time.

He knows full well that no one is going to go for this "free comic" thing. No one who has had significant damage to their home or neighborhood is going to take the time to photograph and document their comic losses for Chuck in order to get a long box full of Superpro 1s and Darkhawk 10s.

I know, right?

"Hi, Chuck! Gosh, thanks for offering to replace some books us folks affected by Sandy have lost. Here's a list of the books that were destroyed, along with receipts of purchase - many from Mile High, natch - scans of the books and pictures of the damage. You can see the area where the water rose by the stains on the wall. That overturned longbox there was my Avengers 1-100 run. Thanks again, you're the best!"

"Hello, and greetings from Mile High Comics, America's largest comic book retailer (TM pending). We've had a chance to go over your list. Firstly, I have to say you have my condolences for your loss. Back in '95, a freak storm took out part of our secondary warehouse here in Colorado, and many pristine treasures from the Mile High inventory were ruined. During clean up, I nearly threw out my back while single-handedly lifting a longbox full of hard-to-find back issues I had only just purchased the week before at a convention in Illinois. Luckily, I was able to overcome the pain and save the comics, although sadly many of our treasured inventory received significant water damage. You might remember the SUPERSOAKER codeword sale.

At any rate, I'm sorry to say that many of the books in your list are not available for replacement. Out of the 1750 books you indicated, the only ones that are in our super special replacement stock are the X-Factor, Justice League Europe and Youngblood issues. To show how truly I care about your troubles, however, you can use the super-secret HELPABROTHEROUT codeword for a fantastic 30% discount on all Mile High back issues! Normally, it would be very difficult for me to justify offering such a crazy discount on our already underpriced stock, but I just feel that it's more important for the hobby to try and stick together during a tragedy of this nature. The codeword does not apply to trade paperbacks or third-party graded books. Happy collecting!"

Wait... Are you Chuck? This email seems too real...

I think we used to have a Chuck impersonation thread. I think Sal won.

This is the way a company should address customers:

From Metropolis:

Dear customers and friends, thanks for your patience and support during this difficult time. Due to the loss of power in lower Manhattan, the shutdown of the subway system, and the closed bridges and tunnels leading in and out of Manhattan, our regular business has been largely suspended since the storm hit earlier this week. Our email servers have been out of commission for the duration, as have our phone lines, though orders can be placed here on our site. Please be aware, however, that the backlog of orders and the delays from the storm may add an additional 5-7 business days to each order's processing time. We hope to be back up and running by early next week, and will make an announcement here, as well as by email, when our offices are back up and running at full speed. Thanks again for your patience and understanding and we appreciate your continued patronage and support.

Chuck is consistent i'll give him that. Does he still have the same mascot he had back in the 80"s? It was a cool little woodchuck, gopher , or squirrel or something with a flag in his hand. That was really the only thing i ever liked about him. Back in the day he was always overpriced, and never had any demand books in stock so her would try to suck you into listing alternates which is what you usually ended up with. To me Chuck is a dinosaur that has his head shoved so far up his he doesn't know which way is up anymore.

Just sad as a kid i was stuck with overpriced local dealers and MIle High i just didn't have exposure to better dealers that had any regard to fair market value for books. Back then it was all about paying way too much for books and hold on to them for 20 years and you will do ok. i do remember finding J&S comics and getting a nice deal on x-men 144-through about 170. Some local conventions were a better avenue as well but they were few and far between.lol scored a legit 8.5 x-men 94 out of a little classified add in a marvel comic IIRC for $35! I remember what a score that was. Also did pick up a NM/NM+ FF48 for $30 at a local con so there was the occasional score here and there.

So glad for the internet and freedom to travel to conventions now i actually can make money by being a discerning collector. Oh well i guess it wasn't all Chucks fault he was just part of the problem. Probably it was more about me being a kid not having the income or freedom to get better deals.

woodcsm.gif

Here you go Mar-vell

thanx fella! funny too for years as a kid i looked at his catalog and i had no clue what the mile high collection was! I think i saw mentions about it on his site but i had no interest in golden age at the time. It is hard for me to to think of Chuck as they guy who had the best comic collection on earth. Maybe it is better to be lucky than smart?

I found Chuck's FRANKENSTORM e-mail pretty offensive, particularly when so many people died.

The latest e-mail is a cynical attempt to backtrack and cover his arse.

I've sent Lynne at Mile High an unsubscribe request to Chuck's e-mail and let them know the reason in case they're curious.