• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck sez: he's a victim of Hurricane Sandy!

155 posts in this topic

Newest mailing from Chuck. If this weren't in such poor taste it would be funny. Well, actually it's still kinda funny. Nice to know us NY/NJers are in his thoughts... :cloud9:

Howdy!

There are times when I wish that I was wrong in my predictions. In the case of Hurricane Sandy, however, I was not. The storm came just as predicted, and the resulting damage to the entire Northeast was even more severe than I thought. NEWSDAY, for example, is reporting that 93% of the households on Long Island lost power during the storm. That is a percentage of loss that is almost beyond comprehension. We send our very best wishes to those who were affected by the storm, and hope that you, and your families made it through this epic storm unscathed.

Given the severity of the storm, it also came as no surprise to us when orders for comics from that region almost entirely shut down in the wake of the storm. That development is particularly unfortunate, as one of our largest concentration of long time Mile High Comics supporters live along the eastern seaboard, especially in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware, and Maryland areas. Seven million households in that region are still without power, so this event will have a very negative impact not only on us, but the entire USA economy, for quite some time to come. Sigh...

All of the above having been said, I have no choice but to extend the 30% off FRANKENSTORM codeword sale through at least this upcoming weekend. This sale includes all of our best back issue comics and magazines, including all of of our Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, and CGC-graded comics, as well as all eight million of our 1982-2011 back issues. Only new comics, books, non-comics items, and oversize items are excluded from the sale.

Just in case you might feel somewhat unimpressed by a 30% codeword discount, please do bear in mind that this 30% discount is in addition to the systemwide 50% slashing of our prices that I put into effect on our entire website back in September. In effect, the combination of those two discounts provides you with a net 65% discount (!!!) based on our September pricing structure. Giving away our most desirable back issue treasures at 65% off is quite a bitter pill for us to swallow, but we have to be pragmatic during this crisis, and offer those of you who live in areas unaffected by the storm exceptional incentive to place an order with us while much of the East Coast is still without power. Any assistance that you might be able to provide would be most appreciated...

I received similar emails from SteinerSports collectibles DURING the storm.

I had a not so nice response back.

Here is a quote to the steiner email: (Monday evening btw)

We'd like to take a minute out to express our deepest concerns for your safety. Over the many years, we have come to view you, our customers as family, and we want to express the utmost concerns for the safety of you, your family and friends during this dangerous storm

Hurricane Sandy is indeed an unprecedented and life threatening event, and at times like these we are all reminded and look to family & friends for comfort and strength. We sincerely wish you the best.

With that, to help you pass some time during this storm and take advantage of not being at work today (and perhaps tomorrow) we are offering you a special selection of gifts and collectibles available for just $49.99 each. This is a great opportunity to get some early holiday shopping done or just pick up a little something for youself.

This offer runs through the end of the day Tuesday. Add to cart for savings, savings shown in shopping cart

Again please stay safe, and enjoy time with family and friends over these next couple of days.

While I'm sure Chuck says that he is very successful (and I assume he is) - I think I'd be sad and disappointed in myself if I sacrificed common decency for financial success.

I received similar emails from SteinerSports collectibles DURING the storm.

I had a not so nice response back.

Here is a quote to the steiner email: (Monday evening btw)

doh! Wow...

While I'm sure Chuck says that he is very successful (and I assume he is) - I think I'd be sad and disappointed in myself if I sacrificed common decency for financial success.

*cough* $2000-ish for the Church collection *cough*

From the MH newsletter I got...

A self-serving egomaniac with no sense of empathy or of appropriateness in his actions towards others, who seems not to understand that during a disaster one thinks of giving to rather than taking from those less fortunate.

Tosser.

'Oh, there was a storm and over a hundred people died. My sales are low so you should buy something and think about the folks on the east coast. Use the code word 'chucksathoughtlessindividual_without_enough_empathy' for a mega discount.'

This is particularly :facepalm: worthy:

Giving away our most desirable back issue treasures at 65% off is quite a bitter pill for us to swallow, but we have to be pragmatic during this crisis, and offer those of you who live in areas unaffected by the storm exceptional incentive to place an order with us while much of the East Coast is still without power. Any assistance that you might be able to provide would be most appreciated...

Don't worry about the aftermath of Sandy. Chuck is in need of assistance.

This is particularly :facepalm: worthy:

Giving away our most desirable back issue treasures at 65% off is quite a bitter pill for us to swallow, but we have to be pragmatic during this crisis, and offer those of you who live in areas unaffected by the storm exceptional incentive to place an order with us while much of the East Coast is still without power. Any assistance that you might be able to provide would be most appreciated...

Don't worry about the aftermath of Sandy. Chuck is in need of assistance.

Could you get any more douchebaggish? :facepalm:

Yeah. I was going to place an order tomorrow but after that newsletter I believe I'm going to pass.

I'll have a look and see what the folks at Mycomicshop have to offer and take my business there. (thumbs u