• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Spider-man story arc

91 posts in this topic

Other than your strange fixation with Ben Reilly, I agree with your picks.

As far as issues 121/122 go - reading a good chunk of the history that led up to that story is what makes the story worthwhile. Spiderman: Blue was alright.

For 'fun' reads, I also liked the six issue Spider-man Human Torch mini series written by current writer Dan Slott. Ultimate Spider-man had some ups and downs but over the whole 160 issues it was consistently fun to read.

What is the Spidey/Torch mini you mentioned?? I enjoy Slott a lot and would like to look into this series sometime.

There's probably a TPB or HC too but the original issues are common..

Spidey/Torch mini

The introduction of the Hobgoblin by Roger Stern is one of my favorite arcs. It starts in ASM #238, and while it took forever to finally get resolved (and even then, not really, as the revelation of the Hobgoblin's ID was retconned away by Stern years later), it was a tremendous read in the beginning. The first arc really runs through ASM #238-251.

Another favorite arc is ASM from the late 180's through issue 200. It features the "death" of Aunt May, classic villains aplenty (Electro, the Chameleon, The Kingpin, and Mysterio), the mental breakdown of JJJ, the introduction of the Black Cat, and the return of the burglar from Amazing Fantasy #15. Really, really good stuff by Marv Wolfman, and it's all reprinted in one of the Essential Spider-Man volumes.

The first clone saga is also a pretty good read. It starts with the introduction of the Jackal in ASM #129 (along with some guy called The Punisher -- don't think much ever happened with that character :whistle:) and ran in and out of issues before ending in ASM #149 (with a postscript of sorts in #150). Also in those issues is the first appearance of Harry Osborn as the Green Goblin.

You can't go wrong with any of these arc, IMO. (thumbs u

yesterday,i opened my ASM cd-rom 40-year collection and read all those from 180-200.

Those were pretty good,i especially liked the JJJ stuff and the AF 15 burglar.That one page fight sequence with Kingpin is nice to look at.

Thanks.

ASM 39-40 are two of my favorites and feature possibly my favorite Spider-man cover of all time.

Also I really liked the death of Aunt May (ASM #400). It was a really touching story, but of course it had to be retconned.

Also Spectacular Spider-man #178-200, the Green Goblin issues leading up to Harry's "death" are good.

Also Spectacular Spider-man #178-200, the Green Goblin issues leading up to Harry's "death" are good.

+ 1

Yes, I really enjoyed the issues written by J.M. DeMatteis.

165-166 The Lizard and Stegron. Always one of my faves. :grin:

+1

Very fond memories of the story. This was the point at which Amazing Spider-Man reprints in British Marvels caught up with the US newsstand issues, and when I started buying brand-new, imported cent copies instead and collecting seriously.

In no particular order (and too lazy to provide issue numbers) and excluding of course AF #15 and ASM #1...

Kraven's Last Hunt

Death of the Stacy's and Green Goblin

Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut and Spidey vs Firelord (kind of the same, Spidey taking on two guys waaaayyy above his weight class)

Death of Jean DeWolff

Birth of Venom

Hobgoblin Saga (early origin issues)

If This Be My Destiny (ASM #31 - #33)

The Drug Issues

Spider-Man No More (ASM #50)

Issue #400 - "Death" of Aunt May Note: This is where Aunt May should have died. Yes it was during the return of Peter's 'parents' and clone saga misfire but that issue was very well done and was a respectful death for Aunt May.

No more love for Death of Jean DeWolf?

I left it off of my suggestions, but it was one of my favorites also. Unlike a lot of comic book deaths that are done for shock value these days, this one had real meaning with it. The DeWolff character had been developed reasonably well to the point that there was an actual sense of loss when she was bumped off. The story was well-written, and it had a long-term effect with Daredevil and Spidey finding out each other's ID's. Good stuff. (thumbs u

A lot of people have mentioned the early Hobgoblin issues.

Most of it was in ASM, but check out Spectacular Spider-Man 85 too. It's a "key" storywise for the Hobgoblin. That was the comic he synthesized the Green Goblin's formula and got the original Goblin's powers. (thumbs u

ASM 229-230 'Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut' 2c

Most of the Stern written stories from that era are just fantastic. :cloud9:

Yup, and the cherry on top was when they got Stern back to write 'The Hobgoblin Lives', and complete the Hobgoblin saga the way he'd originally intended, instead of the half-azzed editorial screw-up story in ASM 289.