• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Spider-man story arc

91 posts in this topic

ASM 121-122 as well.

That would be my vote.

The panel with the NYC cops and the one telling the other to let it go because he was grieving. Something like that...

At any rate, that panel stuck with me!

As for my favorite ASM arc... I'm partial to the Ben Reilly 90's era because that's when I discovered Spider-Man. But even I'll admit the writing totally derailed with all the management changes.

I'm going to be a heretic and second this. I hated the clone saga during the 90s as I found it impossible to chase all the floppies and then read them in something resembling a proper order. But I have to confess I've enjoyed the 12-volume mega-trade collection that's just concluded. (Original Clone Saga + Clone Saga 1-5 + Ben Reilly Epic 1-6)

It's like a summer popcorn film that never, ever ends--which can have its advantages if you take it in the right spirit.

As for my favorite ASM arc... I'm partial to the Ben Reilly 90's era because that's when I discovered Spider-Man. But even I'll admit the writing totally derailed with all the management changes.

I'm going to be a heretic and second this. I hated the clone saga during the 90s as I found it impossible to chase all the floppies and then read them in something resembling a proper order. But I have to confess I've enjoyed the 12-volume mega-trade collection that's just concluded. (Original Clone Saga + Clone Saga 1-5 + Ben Reilly Epic 1-6)

It's like a summer popcorn film that never, ever ends--which can have its advantages if you take it in the right spirit.

:o

Now they are gonna burn both of us. :flamed:

I've been working on gathering all 12 volumes for a mass reading as well.

Besides the iconic 121-122 arc, here are others that captivated me as a "tween" reader:

The #174 to 176 Bart Hamilton/3rd Goblin storyline. Appearances from the Punisher and Hitman. This was late 1977 and I was hooked on comics from there.

Then reading the "back issues" that I collected, these are the notable arcs that come to mind:

1. The #148-149 first Gwen clone saga with The Jackal. Dark stuff.

2. The lead up to the Death of Captain Stacy -- #89 and 90. First major death of a ASM character. Those bricks coming down on Captain Stacy are still etched in my mind's eye.

3. The Spidey Saves the Day arc vs the Goblin #39 and 40 -- the start of the Romita era.

4. The "extra arms" Peter grows and Morbius -- #100 to 102. Creepy!

5. The "drug" issues -- #96 to 98. I didn't know what drugs were, except that they were bad. Those issues taught me to stay the hell away from drugs! Thank you Stan!

I have not verified the issue numbers, and with the exception of 121/122, I have not re-read these stories in 30+ years -- all issue numbers are recited from memory. If I'm wrong please correct me.

:o

Now they are gonna burn both of us. :flamed:

I've been working on gathering all 12 volumes for a mass reading as well.

(thumbs u I got most of them as part of that mega-trade collection I was selling off in the forum a few months back. I was picking up the new ones as they came out. Ben Reilly #6 just came out and it includes the "Revelations" storyline that wraps up the whole dang thing, finally!

Pretty much the entire run of Ultimate Spidey the first series. Especially 1-16 or 18, wherever the Doc Ock/Kraven story ends. Reboots the character. Engaging and human. Funny parts such as Spidey yanking Ock's pants down to embarass him and calling him out for wearing tighty whitey's or calling Kingpin fa to pizz him offt. Also, putting Kraven in his place as just a reality teevee show star instead of a supervillain.

Also liked the Moon Knight/Shang Chi/Black Cat/Kingpin arc in the 70's of Ultimate too.

Major bonus is prett much one writer (Bendis) and one artist (Bagley) for 1-115 or so.

Overall, real good funny book reading and highly recommended.