• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does metropoliscomics not negotiate?

43 posts in this topic

Negotiating is something that some people do better than others.Also some products get stale and lack demand and therefore are more likely to be dealt at a less than market value, however some products that are hard to come by, high in demand, or increasing in value are less likely to be had for less and quite possibly to be had, you may pay over. Happens with cars, some sell at sticker, some over sticker and some riddled with rebates and discounts. An AF15 is far from distressed merchandise and I would not expect Metro to have to budge on price as it will eventually sell. Putting yourself in their shoes, you will see an amazing amount of rent for the NYC location and expenses to operate. They do boast an amazing inventory of hard to find stuff, why give it away. Should they really really really want to move it, they can auction it off through CC. That's the other thing, they are making money via auction fees and I'm sure when they buy collections, they do real well. I don't see them in a position to have to negotiate. Those days are long gone.

They have thousands of books on their website that are ALREADY discounted....some nice stuff, too. They're not going to discount rare or high demand stuff.....I mean, they're trying to run a successful business in Manhatten....their overhead alone is probably more than what many businesses gross in a year, GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's true. Maybe they need to consider a cheaper place to run their business. :baiting:

I've averaged 10-15% discount on all offers in the last 2 years...minus the few I've been denied. On probably half of the denied, the price was market and I purchased at the ask price. Can't complain here. THX Frank! (thumbs u

(ask prices ranging from approx. $100 to $2000)

:o

they seem to think 5% is a counter offer

no idea why

Because that is their price. They're not dying to sell a book so they figure if you don't pay their price someone else will.

True, and there is nothing wrong with that....but then why have a feature that solicits offers?

Kind of dumb. (shrug)

i pretty much feel this way too. i know they are huge and thats prolly a factor but I think being a little more hands on with features like that also promotes sales because customers feel valued more when you take the time to respond.

I think if they can't be bothered to respond to offers on small books then they should do away with the feature cause you know if you are in the market for a 50K book you are gonna make a phone call with an offer anyway so why frustrate the little guy by getting his hopes up that his offer will go through when you don't have the time to even respond?

they seem to be making a lot of money using their current selling methods. i suspect they are more willing to negotiate if they have 10 copies of some not high demand book up, particularly if you are making multiple offers and what not. they do clean out lower dollar books at decent prices sometimes.

What books were these? I reply to all Make an Offer messages within 24 hours, at least, so it's weird you wouldn't have gotten a response -- I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem. You are using the Metro site, right, and not the ComicConnect site? Also be aware that if the same customer/email offers on the same book within a 24/48 hour period, it does sometimes filter those out to avoid spamming and duplicate emails, though not often.

As far as offers made, when I can shave a few bucks off, I will, but keep in mind a lot of stuff on our site is either consignment, or already marked down, or we may have tight margins. Our parameters for what we can and can't discount changes practically daily, though, which is why that function is given for all books. Just as an example, we got a nice stack of mid-grade SA Spideys in recently, in grades that doubled existing copies, so I was able to discount some of those issues for buyers that I wouldn't have been able to just a few days before; and, on the other hand, GA Timelys that we may have been willing to budge on just last year because we had a few copies are now firmly priced because they have gotten hot again and are proving very expensive and tough to restock and selling like hotcakes at asking price.

I do personally look at EVERY offer made. Every one. (pauses, takes a slug of whiskey) Every. One. (sighs, his shoulders lower, he weeps silently) So rest assured, if we can't discount a book, it's not just a randomized response, it's not arbitrary, there is always a reason, and I'll usually let you know what that is. And, yes, you can always call or email me directly if you want to make an offer on books, or ask about a discount. Again, the free shipping offer may not seem like a lot, but that is always something we're covering on our end, so it may be me trying to throw you at least a little discount that I couldn't otherwise do without stiffing a consignor or cutting into our margins. We also price our books according to what we think their retail value is, and don't inflate our prices, and a number of books may actually be slightly older material whose prices may still be left over from 2011 and 2010 Guide values and are actually a little below what we'd price them at now.

In general, I'd say about half of the books we get offers on I'm able to do at least a little something, if not agreeing to the offer altogether. And if ever we stay firm on a price, that's the book you should probably buy, since if we're bullish on it, you should be, too. Sadly, a lot of offers I get are asking for discounts on scarce books, keys, high grade CGC's, etc, stuff that I just can't justify marking down, and I hope buyers understand why those sort of books remain firm.

However, I have stacks of low-grade Archies from the early 70s just waiting for a good home, and they are sure to be red hot investment collectibles in future, really they are, oh please just take them.

Frank Cwiklik

Metropolis Collectibles

212 260 4147 x10

no idea why

Because that is their price. They're not dying to sell a book so they figure if you don't pay their price someone else will.

That strategy could come back to bite them in 5 to 10 years.

The further we get away from the golden age/silver age and bronze age the more obscure those comic books become.

I don`t think future collectors in 5 to 10 years will be beating down their doors to buy beat up vg comic books for $500 to $1000 dollars a pop.

I bet they will have a vastly different business model in the next decade.

Adapt or go out of business. ;)

I've been a Metropolis customer 12 years. Maybe I've purchased some 25 to 50 books, probably collectively at under $7,500. I'm a small fish but I'm made to feel important. They are not cheap, nor should they be: they have incredible inventory (arguably the best in the world); they have knowledgeable, friendly and responsive staff (e.g., Vince, Frank and Rob); bar none they have the best dealer web site; and they are in 'friggin Midtown for crying out loud (i.e., $$ overhead). You get what you pay.

In my experience, they have responded to ALL of my counter-offers when I select the "Make an Offer" button. Many of their books are not theirs, so they can't be flexible or they have severe limitations on being flexible. I think 5% to 10% off (depending on the book) is probably the most one can go on the "Make an Offer" option but that's not bad considering the other intangibles mentioned above.

Above all, Vince, Frank and Rob -- in my experience -- communicate with clients very well.

What books were these? I reply to all Make an Offer messages within 24 hours, at least, so it's weird you wouldn't have gotten a response -- I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem. You are using the Metro site, right, and not the ComicConnect site? Also be aware that if the same customer/email offers on the same book within a 24/48 hour period, it does sometimes filter those out to avoid spamming and duplicate emails, though not often.

As far as offers made, when I can shave a few bucks off, I will, but keep in mind a lot of stuff on our site is either consignment, or already marked down, or we may have tight margins. Our parameters for what we can and can't discount changes practically daily, though, which is why that function is given for all books. Just as an example, we got a nice stack of mid-grade SA Spideys in recently, in grades that doubled existing copies, so I was able to discount some of those issues for buyers that I wouldn't have been able to just a few days before; and, on the other hand, GA Timelys that we may have been willing to budge on just last year because we had a few copies are now firmly priced because they have gotten hot again and are proving very expensive and tough to restock and selling like hotcakes at asking price.

I do personally look at EVERY offer made. Every one. (pauses, takes a slug of whiskey) Every. One. (sighs, his shoulders lower, he weeps silently) So rest assured, if we can't discount a book, it's not just a randomized response, it's not arbitrary, there is always a reason, and I'll usually let you know what that is. And, yes, you can always call or email me directly if you want to make an offer on books, or ask about a discount. Again, the free shipping offer may not seem like a lot, but that is always something we're covering on our end, so it may be me trying to throw you at least a little discount that I couldn't otherwise do without stiffing a consignor or cutting into our margins. We also price our books according to what we think their retail value is, and don't inflate our prices, and a number of books may actually be slightly older material whose prices may still be left over from 2011 and 2010 Guide values and are actually a little below what we'd price them at now.

In general, I'd say about half of the books we get offers on I'm able to do at least a little something, if not agreeing to the offer altogether. And if ever we stay firm on a price, that's the book you should probably buy, since if we're bullish on it, you should be, too. Sadly, a lot of offers I get are asking for discounts on scarce books, keys, high grade CGC's, etc, stuff that I just can't justify marking down, and I hope buyers understand why those sort of books remain firm.

However, I have stacks of low-grade Archies from the early 70s just waiting for a good home, and they are sure to be red hot investment collectibles in future, really they are, oh please just take them.

Frank Cwiklik

Metropolis Collectibles

212 260 4147 x10

I'll take those Archies off your hands. I can probably come by tomorrow. I used to pick stuff up from you guys when you sold inexpensive reader lots on ebay, but that was like 10 years ago. last book i bought from you was probably a B&B 28 around then.

no idea why

That strategy could come back to bite them in 5 to 10 years.

The further we get away from the golden age/silver age and bronze age the more obscure those comic books become.

I don`t think future collectors in 5 to 10 years will be beating down their doors to buy beat up vg comic books for $500 to $1000 dollars a pop.

I bet they will have a vastly different business model in the next decade.

Adapt or go out of business. ;)

They've been doing this a long time. They have a huge customer base, not just ebay flippers. And they also sell at shows, at least in NYC. And they do, on occasion, clean out the krud so to speak..a couple of years ago they offered like a 6,000 book lot late BA/CA here at a very low price per book (5-10 cents each i think) as that sort of stuff is not their cup of tea. i would have bought it as I am local and could have just driven over and saved on shipping, but my wife would have killed me at the time if I brought home 25 long boxes.

Not to mention, who do you think those collectors will be in 5-10 years? the same as now with a few died off and a few 30somethings hitting their money making prime picking up the slack. 20-30 years is another story.

Metropolis I think is great. The selection on books is amazing. The more I have looked at their site the more I find. But, the thread is about Make an Offer and they are tight mostly. What can I do? They have some books I can't find anywhere else and so I bite the bullet most of the time and try to push their limits over 5% :)

Not to mention, who do you think those collectors will be in 5-10 years? the same as now with a few died off and a few 30somethings hitting their money making prime picking up the slack. 20-30 years is another story.

I am not as optimistic like you are about $500 to $2000 G to VG golden age comics with average demand in 5-10 years.