• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does metropoliscomics not negotiate?

43 posts in this topic

I have submitted several times in the past MAKE OFFERS on books and always never get a response back (75%) or a quick email back (25%) stating the book is rare and won't sell it .

Though I have bought in the past from them a SA AF #15 6.5 CGC and a GA CA #1 3.5 CGC. Not cheap books ($10k +) but not the $100k club either. I actually had to call them for the AF15 they sold to me when they never returned my email back. Last time I called them and told them I won't call for books if they can't email back.

Any one have these issues other than myself? They must see your name/email/phone # and can see what you have bought in the past. Still no love to sell a book cheaper than the BUY price that no one else is buying.

FYI - It was just a $275 book as well. I offered less than the $275. C'mon MC. At least counteroffer me.

I'm done venting. :(

That's just the way they roll. In my opinion, they need to remove the make offer or program that feature in Comic Connect and save themselves and potential buyers lots of confusion and aggravation on books.

I bid pretty aggressive on standard bronze dc fare that no one wants, and they won't play with me either. So it's not you.

they seem to think 5% is a counter offer

no idea why

Because that is their price. They're not dying to sell a book so they figure if you don't pay their price someone else will.

They have thousands of books on their website that are ALREADY discounted....some nice stuff, too. They're not going to discount rare or high demand stuff.....I mean, they're trying to run a successful business in Manhatten....their overhead alone is probably more than what many businesses gross in a year, GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If their price is set in stone, that's fine, it's their business.

But if that's the case, they should remove the "Make An Offer" feature. It just causes confusion, irritation and perennial threads about "why don't they respond to my offer?".

no idea why

Because that is their price. They're not dying to sell a book so they figure if you don't pay their price someone else will.

True, and there is nothing wrong with that....but then why have a feature that solicits offers?

Kind of dumb. (shrug)

no idea why

True, and there is nothing wrong with that....but then why have a feature that solicits offers?

Kind of dumb. (shrug)

I agree. I suppose it's one way to gauge interest and traffic.

I share a similar sentiment with local ebay seller. He lists with a "make an offer" option but refuses to counter-offer. I can take refusing my offer (and note that it is not a lowball offer) but c'mon man, at least provide a counter so that buyers will know how much low you're willing to go.

I've averaged 10-15% discount on all offers in the last 2 years...minus the few I've been denied. On probably half of the denied, the price was market and I purchased at the ask price. Can't complain here. THX Frank! (thumbs u

(ask prices ranging from approx. $100 to $2000)

My perspective is at the other end of the transaction but I will throw in my two cents. I sell many books through Comic Connect. For every offer I accepted I had another book go at my asking price.

Many of the comics listed on Comic Connect are not owned by Metropolis but consigned from other sellers. Just because you did not get a satisfactory response to an offer does not mean that you will get a similar response from a different owner if you make a similar offer on another book.

If someone lists a book with a fixed price (on Comic Connect, ebay, etc.) it is more likely that they are not in a hurry to dump the book for the first low ball offer that comes along. If they really wanted to dump the book or were desperate for cash, they would have auctioned the book off instead to get the money sooner. By selecting a fixed price instead of an auction, a seller has already made a decision to delay the sale in order to get a higher price.

Also, keep in mind that the seller is not getting the entire amount that you offer. When you pay with a credit card they are eating a 3% fee off the top. Comic Connect gets their commission on what is left. If you offer $150 for a book, the seller ends up with about $130.

If no one is taking your offers seriously perhaps they are not serious offers.

I've had two dealings with them of about $7K each - once in person and the other over the phone. I was able to negotiate a small discount in person but the other book I did over the phone was a consigned book so there was no room to wiggle. I've never tried to negotiate via the web site - best bet is to call and have a chat with the guys and see if there's any room to negotiate.

If their price is set in stone, that's fine, it's their business.

But if that's the case, they should remove the "Make An Offer" feature. It just causes confusion, irritation and perennial threads about "why don't they respond to my offer?".

I agree. if there are certain comics that they will not accept offers on then remove that option from the listing. Pretty simple really.