• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldSchoolOne ... an introduction.

50 posts in this topic

I loved the Sienkiewicz MK as a kid, always wanted a WWBN 32, and someone was selling one here just when I was looking...

Nice.

I like Sienkiewicz work also. I collected what I liked more so than what was popular of the time. New art and story lines (for the 80s).

283f.jpg

WTTB! Love that cover. Here's the 75¢ priced copy:

Thor_337_CGC_96_sized.jpg

Thank you ALL for the kind welcome.

Yes ... I ~am~ old blood but I feel and act like I'm in my 30s. I remember paying face value for about 90% of my collection, down at (Mike's) Fat Jack's Comic Crypt in Philly. I doubt if the store is still there today but the memory will always be with me.

After spending the last few hours catching up on the hobby (via reading posts and the CGC web site), I found that I'm not too out of touch. Mint is still mint and fine is still fine. Mylar bags were $0.25 each. A normal title purchase for me was two books (one to read and give away and one to collect) and one mylar bag for a total of about $1.54 I even remember bagging the bought books before leaving the store :)

I like the CGC cases. SEALED. NICE! I can see almost all of my collection in those case. I like the white IKEA CABINETS with glass doors that you Guys have in your Man-Caves. I don't plan on creating a Comic Room, but if I can match a few cabinets to existing furniture, at least ~that~ would be doable. My eldest Son drives a fork lift for Ikea. There may be a cabinet or six in my future :)

Some of you have a dozen book covers in your signature. Nice touch. For now, I'll keep my signature short and sweet but I'll splash a couple covers from my collection every now and then.

359f.jpg359b.jpg

So, what would be you favorite run or title?

Hey John, glad you found your way here. Welcome.

I think you'll really enjoy yourself.

It's nice to see someone else who's returned to collecting at midlife like myself. You & I have a whole lot in common.

Although you're a lot more intelligent & fortunate than I was as even though you stopped collecting for decades, you never sold off your collection.

MAN, do I wish I could say the same thing.

But, I can't.

I began seriously collecting comics a LONG time ago when I was 10. And, I continued to do so for many years. Accumulating a very nice collection of 3500 books with many complete or near complete runs of titles like ASM, THE AVENGERS, DAREDEVIL, X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR & many more. I was lucky in that my parents supported me in my collecting & didn't mind driving me around to all the local shops & conventions back in the day.

Anyhow, after graduating high school & preparing to attend college in 1980 when I was 18, I decided that I'd "outgrown" comics.

But, instead of packing mine away like you did, I decided to sell my collection for extra cash.

Something that honestly, I began to regret right away.

So much so that for many years, I could barely stand to look at a comic book.

But, after three full decades, at 48 years old in '08, my midlife crisis hit.

But, instead of the urge to pursue younger women and/or buy a sports car, my midlife crisis made me want to buy comic books. So, I went to my LCS & bought a stack. Which I felt GREAT about.

And now, here I am having just turned 51 last month with a collection of 1700 books now & enjoying the hobby more than I ever did as a kid. Which is really saying something 'cause I LOVED it back then.

So, by all means, keep us posted on your collecting & collection.

Peace,

Jim

Thank you all again for the welcomes!

To answer a few questions publiclly:

How many issues in your colection?

One thousand eight.

See: http://johndancy.com/links/entertainment/comics and be patient. There are 1108 thumbnails on this page

How many books in your collection?

Probably 1200 - 1300.

Do you plan to sell anything?

Duplicates only and only after being graded.

What is your favorite title/issue/run?

Anything Moon Knight.

Lastly, I took these pictures today. No, I don't have a Man Cave (yet) and the books, though mostly in mylar, reside in 20 - 30 year old acid free boxes in a spare room for now.

DSCF2264.sized.jpg

DSCF2264.sized.jpg

Those boxes look in worse condition than mine are. :o

:)

Yeah. I haven't touched them since about 1997. They were stored at my eldest Son's house. Now you know what a 15+ year old box can look like!

:)

those look AWESOME!!!

WTTB!

Thank you for the welcome and the complement.

They'll look even better when I photograph my 12 favorite and turn it into a signature.

[font:Times New Roman]WTTB, whippersnapper![/font] :preach:

Thank you for the welcome!

WhipperSnapper?!?!

Hey!, I resemble that remark!

Hey John, glad you found your way here. Welcome.

I think you'll really enjoy yourself.

It's nice to see someone else who's returned to collecting at midlife like myself. You & I have a whole lot in common.

Although you're a lot more intelligent & fortunate than I was as even though you stopped collecting for decades, you never sold off your collection.

MAN, do I wish I could say the same thing.

But, I can't.

I began seriously collecting comics a LONG time ago when I was 10. And, I continued to do so for many years. Accumulating a very nice collection of 3500 books with many complete or near complete runs of titles like ASM, THE AVENGERS, DAREDEVIL, X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR & many more. I was lucky in that my parents supported me in my collecting & didn't mind driving me around to all the local shops & conventions back in the day.

Anyhow, after graduating high school & preparing to attend college in 1980 when I was 18, I decided that I'd "outgrown" comics.

But, instead of packing mine away like you did, I decided to sell my collection for extra cash.

Something that honestly, I began to regret right away.

So much so that for many years, I could barely stand to look at a comic book.

But, after three full decades, at 48 years old in '08, my midlife crisis hit.

But, instead of the urge to pursue younger women and/or buy a sports car, my midlife crisis made me want to buy comic books. So, I went to my LCS & bought a stack. Which I felt GREAT about.

And now, here I am having just turned 51 last month with a collection of 1700 books now & enjoying the hobby more than I ever did as a kid. Which is really saying something 'cause I LOVED it back then.

So, by all means, keep us posted on your collecting & collection.

Peace,

Jim

:applause: