• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln

17 posts in this topic

I would pay money to the theater to watch Daniel Day Lewis sit in line at the DMV.

+1

Wow.

This is one of the better films in a year filled with really strong films, and it's Spielberg's best *serious* film since... maybe ever?

Yep, not joking. It manages to make old white men sitting around and talking for two and a half hours not only enormously suspenseful, but rich with emotion and surprisingly funny.

The good:

- Daniel Day-Lewis plays it mostly low-key here-- he emphasizes Lincoln's sense of humor in public and his loneliness in private. In short, you imagine what it's like to be president in a very human way. Unless people rush to Joaquin's side come Oscar time, you're looking at #3 here, no question.

- Sally Field seems at first to be the most "periody" of everyone, but in her couple of big money scenes, she kills it. Lock for a nomination, and some of my favorite female acting of the year.

- TOMMY. MOTHER. . LEE. JONES. Not only is he hysterical in this, he also does some of the best emotional work I've ever seen him do. You mark my words: if my boy Dwight Henry fails to get a nomination for his stellar work in Beasts of the Southern Wild, I'd be stunned if this isn't the horse I ride til the wheels fall off for Best Supporting Actor. At this point, unless Django or Les Mis contains DiCaprio or Crowe's best work of their careers, you really may well be looking at Oscar #2 for Jones as well.

- The cast... let me name everyone I can think of without checking IMDB.

James Spader

John Hawkes

Tim Blake Nelson

Michael Stuhlbarg

Hal Holbrook

Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Gale from Breaking Bad (name slips my mind)

Adam Driver

David Straithairn

Lee Pace

Walton Goggins

David Oyelowo

Colman Domingo (had the big moment in Red Hook Summer... you'll remember him)

Dane DeHaan

Jared Harris

Jackie Earle Haley

Bruce McGill

Julie White

Greg Itzin aka evil president from 24

There's probably more. There's also another one or two I won't name because their appearances shouldn't be spoiled. This is an AMAZING cast.

- cinematography isn't over-Janusz-ified, if that makes sense. It doesn't look like War Horse, but it's still dramatic.

- the -script by Kushner is so smart and wordy it may frustrate some. I thought it was brilliant.

- perhaps John Williams' most subtle work in years with Spielberg, possibly ever. That's saying something.

The bad:

-... yes, there are too many endings. It goes five to ten too long. I can think of a place or two that would've served as better endings.

But, really, that's it.

This is an absolute must-see, should be a huge awards contender (not that that should play a role in you seeing it, it's a sidenote), and is one of Spielberg's best films of the last fifteen years easily.

Haven't seen "Lincoln" yet. Looking forward to it.

Did just last night, watch "Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter". I expected a campy, grade B movie. Instead I found it well worth watching. An entertaining and engrossing movie. There were seven of us watching it at my sons home. Ranging from almost 60, to age 7. We all enjoyed it. There is a naked breast scene in it though, so watch the kiddies. But it was a just a dead girl lying on the floor. Nothing sexual really.

I like vampire and werewolf movies in general. Don't know why. I hate zombie movies though.

Go figure.