• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When life makes you give back your Watterson art

31 posts in this topic

There's something a little disappointing about selling a piece of Watterson's art that he gave you. He's so against the commercial and monetary values of his artwork - I wonder if it irks him to see a gift be sold like this (even if it was for a divorce settlement).

I'm not sure I could ever part with a Watterson piece - mostly because I think I could feel the silent guilt I'd have for selling something that the creator would have never sold himself.

The last sale (I think) was the painted cover illustration from one of the trades that went for $107k. I would guess a painted Sunday wouldn't get to $125k - but, those who missed out on the cover art may come at this one with a vengeance, so I could be wrong.

I love me some Calvin & Hobbes.

Watterson is young too (only 54)

It is going to be hard to get your hands on a piece.

Still I am happy just enjoying Calvin & Hobbes for what it was (and is)

The Complete Calvin & Hobbes is a good investment

Calvin and Hobbes was a comic strip I thoroughly enjoyed. I first got into it reading them in the softbound compilation formats that were popular in the mid-90's. As time went on, I started noticing how people from my generation and/or younger than myself knew nothing about Calvin and Hobbes. It was a strange realization that I couldn't quite wrap my head around until I started reading about Watterson and his acrimonious relationship with the syndicate and their wishes to begin merchandising the characters. It really is unfortunate because as cool as this strip was, and as rare as it is for his OA to come up for sale, Watterson's decision to retire the strip makes it difficult for the strip and major works to reconnect with newer generations. IMHO his OA never will have the same pop cultural importance, significance and coolness of owning a Peanuts or Shultz OA.

There's something a little disappointing about selling a piece of Watterson's art that he gave you. He's so against the commercial and monetary values of his artwork - I wonder if it irks him to see a gift be sold like this (even if it was for a divorce settlement).

I'm not sure I could ever part with a Watterson piece - mostly because I think I could feel the silent guilt I'd have for selling something that the creator would have never sold himself.

The last sale (I think) was the painted cover illustration from one of the trades that went for $107k. I would guess a painted Sunday wouldn't get to $125k - but, those who missed out on the cover art may come at this one with a vengeance, so I could be wrong.

Maybe it's because I'm not an artist, but I never understood artists who refuse to part with their own art, especially if they have been tremendously successful. It's easy to be against the commercial/monetary aspect of things when you're set for life, and if you know your art is adored by so many, why not give some of those fans a chance to own some of your work? You can't take it with you, so why not spread the wealth? (and I'm not talking $$$)

Maybe it's because I'm not an artist, but I never understood artists who refuse to part with their own art, especially if they have been tremendously successful.

Really? Maybe their kids or grandchildren will want to own a sample of their father/grandfathers work? Simply being proud of it is enough to want to keep it.

I've drawn some stuff that was published. I have no interest in selling it even if someone did want it and had cash in hand.

I think it was said that all Watterson's art was donated to a library. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

DG

Maybe it's because I'm not an artist, but I never understood artists who refuse to part with their own art, especially if they have been tremendously successful.

Really? Maybe their kids or grandchildren will want to own a sample of their father/grandfathers work? Simply being proud of it is enough to want to keep it.

I've drawn some stuff that was published. I have no interest in selling it even if someone did want it and had cash in hand.

I think it was said that all Watterson's art was donated to a library. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

DG

I believe you are correct about the library donation aspect.

So many good ones. My 2nd favorite strip ever (behind The Far Side).

^^

Nothing beats Calvin...well maybe only Hobbes once in a while.

But Far side is pretty close second.

No library should be without these two.

Complete Calvin & Hobbes

and Complete Far side.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Complete-Side-Gary-Larson/dp/0740721135

Those 2 giant books do come at a hefty price for sure,but also come with hours and hours of giggles.

The far side one is in 2 tomes so each one is a little less heavy than the Calvin which is one giant book,i mean drop it and say goodbye to your foot.

Funny Far side.

God is creating a snake,rolling it around on a table.

Caption: These things are a cinch. :grin: