• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

There is always a risk with a zero feedback bidder, particularly on a high dollar item. We will see what happens in this case. Seriously, you have to stop throwing the "shill" word around with no evidence because you disagree with the current market value of this book. Just because someone has zero feedback does not automatically make them a shill. I, like every other ebay user in history, was a zero feedback buyer at one time and I was not a shill.

Your writing that all these auctions are shilled accuses a lot of good sellers unfairly. You should stop doing it. If it were my book and auction, I wouldn't react so nicely to you. I would tell you to go pound sand. You should also realize that there were two separate underbidders - g***l at $2150 and z***t at $2100 who are high feedback bidders bidding serious coin for this book. I know this doesn't fit your theory that this book should be a few hundred dollars (or less?) but at what point do you start to question if your belief of the current market is just flat wrong. How many bidders/buyers/books do you need to see before you realize that this is not a $500 book in today's market?

I am no conspiracy theorist and will give bidders the benefit of the doubt. For the most part I have had no problems, but I will say that jaydogrules' observations of the recent bidding on Star Wars 1 CGC 9.8 seem to have merit, whether he believes they are overpriced or not.

The zero bidder on mine joined yesterday, which in itself is not suspicious, and then hit the BIN on two other books- one being a SW 1 CGC 9.8 listed at $3150. We'll see if he pays either one of these. Where was this bidder from? NC, which seems to be related to the recent rash of non-paying high bidders on this book. Coincidence? Maybe, still to be determined.

Another bidder on mine sold sold the same copy of SW 1 three times before it got registered in GPA. Caught up in the non-paying whirlpool or part of the shill bidding group? Not sure, but guess where they are from.

Hotflips had two non-paying $2500 BINs hit on their copy and it was determined by ebay that the IP address was the same- in NC

I'm still sorting out the bidders, there seem to be some legit bids and what appear to be some suspicious ones.

[\quote]

Your writing that all these auctions are shilled accuses a lot of good sellers unfairly. You should stop doing it. If it were my book and auction, I wouldn't react so nicely to you. I would tell you to go pound sand. You should also realize that there were two separate underbidders - g***l at $2150 and z***t at $2100 who are high feedback bidders bidding serious coin for this book. I know this doesn't fit your theory that this book should be a few hundred dollars (or less?) but at what point do you start to question if your belief of the current market is just flat wrong. How many bidders/buyers/books do you need to see before you realize that this is not a $500 book in today's market?

+1 Well said.

Edited by PCV

The zero feedback bidder is not a shill. It's a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces that just keeps setting up fake accounts, hitting BINs and placing super high bids. They've been at it for a few months now and several boarders have fallen victim to it.

There is another bidder on Andy's listing that has some suspicious activity including selling the same SW 1 three times, bidding high on Andy's auction while currently auctioning a CBCS copy of their own. That person is likely trying to protect the perceived value by bidding up other seller's auctions

The zero feed back person creates a user name that is a variation of what every pseudo real name they have chosen with an added sub--script. And everyone was in Charlotte.

Thread on it where they hit other boardies.

That's some fantastic sleuthing you guys have done there. (worship)

-J.

We need a real sleuth to figure out who it actually is, and deliver them a swift kick in the .

The zero feed back person creates a user name that is a variation of what every pseudo real name they have chosen with an added sub--script. And everyone was in Charlotte.

-J.

We need a real sleuth to figure out who it actually is, and deliver them a swift kick in the .

Just a kick? And only on the A**? :sumo:

-J.

This is one of the things that these Boards are great at. You can also see what happens when you are dealing with an A++ Seller (and person) like Andy. Transparency and a history of sterling transactions are providing unassailable data that proves: (1) that there is a concerted effort to bolster or prop up the values of SW; (2) That there are legit purchasers who are willing to go above historical GPA averages for the book, but not to the "artificial" levels and (3) there is at least one zhitbag that is creating havok with fake accounts and superhigh non-paying bids

Hmm, the "spoon" left it open to interpretation on my first read and I had that kick directed somewhere else. Somewhere much more ruthless.

It seems even if the Charlotte Charlatan doesn't come through with the cash on this sale, a second-chance offer is still an option for the seller to the second- or third-highest bidder who each had very high feedback. Would that be recorded by ebay and/or GPA? Also, without knowing the high-bidder's motivations, I wonder how much of it is just trying to block other people from getting a book they want versus just trying to drive the price up artificially.

Hmm, the "spoon" left it open to interpretation on my first read and I had that kick directed somewhere else. Somewhere much more ruthless.

It seems even if the Charlotte Charlatan doesn't come through with the cash on this sale, a second-chance offer is still an option for the seller to the second- or third-highest bidder who each had very high feedback. Would that be recorded by ebay and/or GPA? Also, without knowing the high-bidder's motivations, I wonder how much of it is just trying to block other people from getting a book they want versus just trying to drive the price up artificially.

:roflmao: that's one way of making sure the book is around when you finally have the money.

From July 10 to July 14, the following were added to the census.

9.8 1 (347)

9.6 2 (941)

9.4 2 (874)

9.2 2 (515)

9.0 5 (361)

8.5 2 (259)

8.0 1 (182)

7.5 3 (121)

7.0 3 (89)

6.5 5 (59)

6.0 0 (38)

5.5 1 (29)

None below 5.5

Is there someplace that automates this info? I might start posting numbers weekly for awhile if I can keep it up. Unless CGC frowns upon that.

More info after the 48 hour mark...

9.8 1 (347)

9.6 2 (941)

9.4 2 (874)

9.2 2 (515)

9.0 5 (361)

8.5 2 (259)

8.0 1 (182)

7.5 3 (121)

7.0 3 (89)

6.5 5 (59)

6.0 0 (38)

5.5 1 (29)

None below 5.5

Is there someplace that automates this info? I might start posting numbers weekly for awhile if I can keep it up. Unless CGC frowns upon that.

valiantman's site http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/ lets you compare census dates.

9.8 1 (347)

9.6 2 (941)

9.4 2 (874)

9.2 2 (515)

9.0 5 (361)

8.5 2 (259)

8.0 1 (182)

7.5 3 (121)

7.0 3 (89)

6.5 5 (59)

6.0 0 (38)

5.5 1 (29)

None below 5.5

That is a great tool. Thanks for sharing it.

9.8 1 (347)

9.6 2 (941)

9.4 2 (874)

9.2 2 (515)

9.0 5 (361)

8.5 2 (259)

8.0 1 (182)

7.5 3 (121)

7.0 3 (89)

6.5 5 (59)

6.0 0 (38)

5.5 1 (29)

None below 5.5

Thanks. Fantastic!

9.8 1 (347)

9.6 2 (941)

9.4 2 (874)

9.2 2 (515)

9.0 5 (361)

8.5 2 (259)

8.0 1 (182)

7.5 3 (121)

7.0 3 (89)

6.5 5 (59)

6.0 0 (38)

5.5 1 (29)

None below 5.5

Thanks. Fantastic!

Here's a single page you can bookmark for the full CGC census history for Star Wars #1.

It will automatically update with each week's updates.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/570

Here's the 35cent price variant, while we're at it:

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/11297

So it appears that the high bidder is not going to pay for the ended auction Star Wars #1 (1977) CGC 9.8 $2175, and has not replied to contact through the ebay system.

High bidder was cous_marc

marcus cousins

67862 oak lane

Charlotte, NC

Name connected to this address appears to be fake, similar location & MO to other shill/non-paying bidders gathered in the thread HERE.

2nd highest bidder declined purchase of book via email, appears to be unrelated to the high bidder at least by location and their bidding history did not show running up Star Wars 1(or any other slabs) prices.

I may have some more info after 2nd Chance offer to the next two bidders but will wait until that is completed.

I have already contacted GPA and requested sale be removed from the record.

So it appears that the high bidder is not going to pay for the ended auction Star Wars #1 (1977) CGC 9.8 $2175, and has not replied to contact through the ebay system.

marcus cousins

67862 oak lane

Charlotte, NC

Name connected to this address appears to be fake, similar location & MO to other shill/non-paying bidders gathered in the thread HERE.

2nd highest bidder declined purchase of book via email, appears to be unrelated to the high bidder at least by location and their bidding history did not show running up Star Wars 1(or any other slabs) prices.

I may have some more info after 2nd Chance offer to the next two bidders but will wait until that is completed.

:facepalm: What is with some people? Sorry this happend to you 'GAC'.

marcus cousins

67862 oak lane

Charlotte, NC

You're a stand up seller and we appreciate your transparency and integrity.

I may have been a bit of a canary in the coal mine several months ago when it came to red flagging and pointing out the market manipulation going on with this book. But when it starts tainting legitimate sellers' transactions and basically just wasting a bunch of decent people's time, it has gone to a whole new low.

I'm sure it will all work out for you in the end though, one way or another. (thumbs u

-J.