• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

It is not just #1. Overall, with seemingly endless supplies, most of the high flying issues from this series have come back to Earth. Star Wars #42 and 68 also lost steam. I do see more interest in the other 5 movie issues (#2 - 6) but nothing that is moving valuation yet.

It will be interesting to see if these issues become seasonal as new movies come out every year ala The Walking Dead.

I wish the new movie would come out already. :cloud9:

I wish the price variants would lose some steam, That is a run I am interested in :sorry:

The price variants are not losing steam, rather they seem to be moving up a grade level or two on prices. For example, prices for CGC 9.4 copies of the first issue have gone from $13,000 to $23,000 this year. CGC 9.0 copies have moved from $6,000 to $14,000 this year. There is a nice 9.0 on ComicLink that ends tomorrow. It will be interesting to see where it lands.

It is not just #1. Overall, with seemingly endless supplies, most of the high flying issues from this series have come back to Earth. Star Wars #42 and 68 also lost steam. I do see more interest in the other 5 movie issues (#2 - 6) but nothing that is moving valuation yet.

It will be interesting to see if these issues become seasonal as new movies come out every year ala The Walking Dead.

I wish the price variants would lose some steam, That is a run I am interested in :sorry:

The price variants are not losing steam, rather they seem to be moving up a grade level or two on prices. For example, prices for CGC 9.4 copies of the first issue have gone from $13,000 to $23,000 this year. CGC 9.0 copies have moved from $6,000 to $14,000 this year. There is a nice 9.0 on ComicLink that ends tomorrow. It will be interesting to see where it lands.

I agree, just wishful thinking on my part.

Not going to get any cheaper.

I agree, just wishful thinking on my part.

Not going to get any cheaper.

:wishluck: Maybe after the movie is out, especially if the movie stinks. If the movie is really good, then maybe not.

I wonder what a Star Wars #1 $0.35 diamond edition with UPC symbol would fetch if one ever came to market? hm

Edited by rjrjr

I wonder what a Star Wars #1 $0.35 diamond edition with UPC symbol would fetch if one ever came to market? hm

I remember those. Weren't there 2 and one was looking like a cut and paste?

Anyone know if they are real?

Early speculation buys are down, but when the movie hits the masses, sales will explode. Star Wars mania will be in full effect. I've seen it many times in my lifetime.

That is unless the movie totally sucks farts, but I doubt Disney would ever let that happen. They have too much money riding on this golden pony.

2c I don't believe these even exist as I have been looking for 14 years and I bought one off ebay many years ago that was a cut and paste job.

The price variant is like a 1:30 variant on the CGC census, and only 151 copies universal plus signature.

Imagine if there was a 1:30 variant of Hulk #181. hm

For the 11 months of 2015, the CGC census of Star Wars #1 (regular) has grown 44% versus the previous 14 years combined.

The CGC census for the Star Wars #1 35-cent variant has grown 5%.

That's 1,436 new CGC slabs for the regular edition and 8 new CGC slabs for the variant. (Just using 2015, that would make it a 1:180 variant.)

2c I don't believe these even exist as I have been looking for 14 years and I bought one off ebay many years ago that was a cut and paste job.

That is interesting. This site makes one believe they do exist, but even the copy he purchased had the interior swapped out. No mention of the cover being modified however:

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/StarWars/Marvel/StarWars/001-006.html

Edited by rjrjr

The people paying $2000 + for a copy of regular Star Wars 1 in 9.8 are probably feeling buyers remorse right about now. My guess is after the movie comes and goes this book will settle in right around $1000.

What were graded 9.8's going for before the announcement of the new trilogy?

The people paying $2000 + for a copy of regular Star Wars 1 in 9.8 are probably feeling buyers remorse right about now. My guess is after the movie comes and goes this book will settle in right around $1000.

$400 - 500 I believe.

$400 - 500 I believe.

I think it was more like $500 - 600, but much lower than $2000.

I remember picking up one of my Star Wars #1 CGC 9.6s for $125 in 2011. 1 year later, Disney bought Star Wars and there was no looking back. Those were the days.

I am working on a blog which I am planning on publishing Christmas eve, but here is the information I have concerning the various printings for Star Wars #1 - 6 (the blog will include photos of every printing, except the $0.35 variants which I don't own.) I posted this over in the Copper forums but I thought it was pertinent here.

Here is how I think the various printings of Star Wars (1977) rank (from easiest to hardest):

Star Wars #1 direct reprint (no reprint on cover, reprint on cover)

Star Wars #1 newsstand 1st print (200,000 - 250,000 printed)

Star Wars #1 newsstand reprint

Star Wars #1 $0.35 variant

Star Wars #2 direct reprint (no reprint on cover, reprint on cover)

Star Wars #2 newsstand 1st print

Star Wars #2 newsstand reprint

Star Wars #2 direct 1st print (this was considered uncommon at one time, until bags started showing up on eBay)

Star Wars #2 $0.35 variant

Star Wars #3 direct reprint (no reprint on cover, reprint on cover)

Star Wars #3 newsstand 1st print

Star Wars #3 newsstand reprint

Star Wars #3 direct 1st print (this was considered uncommon at one time, until bags started showing up on eBay)

Star Wars #3 $0.35 variant

Star Wars #4 direct reprint (no reprint on cover, reprint on cover)

Star Wars #4 newsstand 1st print

Star Wars #4 newsstand reprint

Star Wars #4 direct 1st print (this was considered uncommon at one time, until bags started showing up on eBay)

Star Wars #4 $0.35 variant

Star Wars #5 newsstand 1st print

Star Wars #5 direct 1st print

Star Wars #5 direct reprint (reprint on cover)

Star Wars #5 newsstand reprint (definitely harder to find than $0.35 variants; more printed than $0.35 variants of #1 - 4?)

Star Wars #6 newsstand 1st print

Star Wars #6 direct 1st print

Star Wars #6 direct reprint (reprint on cover)

Star Wars #6 newsstand reprint (definitely harder to find than $0.35 variants; magnitude harder to find than #5 newsstand reprint; more printed than $0.35 variants of #1 - 4?)

I'm still working on separating the reprint on cover versus no reprint on cover direct issues. Also, I don't really know which of the reprints can be considered 2nd or 3rd printings.

And this is all IMHO of course. I've been tracking these issues for years and it is possible my experience is completely wrong.

As for the Star Wars #5 and 6 newsstand reprints, they cannot be found at My Comic Shop, Mile High Comics, Amazon, Doug Sulipa, etc. I've exhausted every resource I know tracking down those 2 issues the past few years. They do show up on eBay about 3 or 4 times a year (#5 more than #6) but since nobody knows about how hard they are to find, they usually go for very, very little. Finding NM copies is almost impossible since these reprints were treated like garbage for many, many years.

The direct 1st printings (which are harder for #1 - 4) are often confused for reprints so they can be found for much, much less than the more common newsstand 1st printings.

The myriad of printings has created confusion (how many times have you seen a $0.35 direct reprint being offered as the rare $0.35 newsstand reprint?)