• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Consignor will never see payment on this thrill bidding. Especially with 9.8 copies plummeting faster than a lead balloon and this BS result going way above realistic sales.

I was thinking the same bidder may have bid on the IH181 9.6 for 7200 and the TMNT1 9.8 for 22k.......to name a few more stunners

Except there is prior recent pricing support for those results, whereas you have this from just this last Sunday for Star Wars 1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-CGC-9-8-/322007502869?hash=item4af9249015:g:5t4AAOSwG-1Wv0W~

That price on Comic Link is completely bogus.

-J.

Consignor will never see payment on this thrill bidding. Especially with 9.8 copies plummeting faster than a lead balloon and this BS result going way above realistic sales.

I was thinking the same bidder may have bid on the IH181 9.6 for 7200 and the TMNT1 9.8 for 22k.......to name a few more stunners

Except there is prior recent pricing support for those results, whereas you have this from just this last Sunday for Star Wars 1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-CGC-9-8-/322007502869?hash=item4af9249015:g:5t4AAOSwG-1Wv0W~

-J.

GPA avg on a 9.6 IH181 = $5300, so 1900 over GPA is right there with the Star Wars if you ask me

Here is the lasy 9.6 sold via auction on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-Universal-CGC-9-6-First-Full-Wolverine-Appearance-1st-Logan-/111849889464?hash=item1a0ac5deb8:g:sLEAAOSwfZ1WYFk0

And to tell you the truth, I recall all kinds of 9.8 TMNT sales in the 12k - 16k range over the last couple years. 22k is nuts

-J.

There are many manipulated sales on that site that it makes one's head spin. But why not when they have no one to prove it to and so much to gain by boasting record results.

-J.

GPA avg on a 9.6 IH181 = $5300, so 1900 over GPA is right there with the Star Wars if you ask me

Here is the lasy 9.6 sold via auction on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-Universal-CGC-9-6-First-Full-Wolverine-Appearance-1st-Logan-/111849889464?hash=item1a0ac5deb8:g:sLEAAOSwfZ1WYFk0

And to tell you the truth, I recall all kinds of 9.8 TMNT sales in the 12k - 16k range over the last couple years. 22k is nuts

You're comparing A GPA low that happened more than two months ago and six days before Christmas to a sale that happened three days ago, of a movie hype book that was demonstrably shilled up until the day the movie came out? (shrug)

And you may have missed it but Comiclink had another 9.8 Turtles book sell for $22k+ a few months back.

The unfortunate reality for Star Wars 1 is that normal market forces have re-asserted themselves and the mass of speculators and shillers have moved on.

-J.

a movie hype book that was demonstrably shilled

-J.

You keep saying this mess yet provide zero evidence.

80 sales last year with $1793 avg.

Stop carrying on with these ridiculous claims :roflmao:

"Zero evidence"?

2016 is another year. And it's looking like a $1000 book now. Hope it can settle thereabouts for a while. :wishluck:

-J.

-J.

I'm just thinking that if some nut job bids 2900 for SW1 with no intentions of paying for it, do they then take a conservative approach to thrill bidding within tha auction or do they pay over the top on a multitude of different books. 7200 is a lot for a 9.6 IH181. I'll take 6000 for mine right now. Its got white pages too

-J.

I'm just thinking that if some nut job bids 2900 for SW1 with no intentions of paying for it, do they then take a conservative approach to thrill bidding within tha auction or do they pay over the top on a multitude of different books. 7200 is a lot for a 9.6 IH181. I'll take 6000 for mine right now. Its got white pages too

A 9.4 just sold for a bit under $5k. A 9.0 just went for $3100. If you throw your 9.6 up on the marketplace for only $6k it probably wouldn't last the day.

-J.

a movie hype book that was demonstrably shilled

-J.

You keep saying this mess yet provide zero evidence.

80 sales last year with $1793 avg.

Stop carrying on with these ridiculous claims :roflmao:

"Zero evidence"?

2016 is another year. And it's looking like a $1000 book now. Hope it can settle thereabouts for a while. :wishluck:

-J.

How does the price of SW #1 now equate to shill bidding last year? Are you still using that weird definition of shill bidding where the buyers and sellers don't know each other and are not collaborating on the price? I think the term you might be seeking is price manipulation. I can see an argument for price manipulation if you think a handful of people are driving up those prices. Do you know for a fact only a handful of people were buying up those Star Wars #1s? If so, it seems like they didn't do to well when it is all said and done unless they were able to unload at those high prices. I doubt very much that most of the Star Wars #1 sales last year were actually a result of shill bidding though.

My theory is some comic collectors saw that a Star Wars movie was coming out and did not want to be left out on Star Wars #1 even though they do not collect Star Wars comics. I believe this phenomena has been driving many, many movie comics the past few years, not just Star Wars #1. A collector (speculator?), who otherwise could care less about a comic or character, buys a copy of a comic so they are not locked out when the price rises. It is strange to me that someone would do that, but I think it is safe to say there are more than a few collectors (speculators?) doing this. There are threads on this very site dedicated to those books not to mention entire sites dedicated to pointing out these books.

I run a blog about Star Wars comics. I see the traffic numbers and see which pages are visited the most often. I think it is safe to say there was a lot of interest in Star Wars #1 (and other "hot" Star Wars books) in April - December 2015. January 2016 onward, not so much. I expect the same traffic patterns to emerge this year as the new movie is marketed. And there will be a bunch of other Star Wars comics that are linked to movie rumors that will rise in price too.

I'm curious why you feel Star Wars #1 is somehow different than any number of movie books that are following the same pattern of rising before a movie and falling afterwards? Or do you feel all of them are rising due to "shill bidding"?

Edited by rjrjr

Star Wars 1 was by no means the only shilled book last year. But it was one of the worst offenders. Going from $600 to $1800 almost literally overnight just because of a movie announcement was never real and almost certainly never going to be sustainable due to the massive amounts of available high grade copies as compared to other BA books and the blatantly inorganic apparent rise in price. I demonstrated multiple examples of shilling on this book scores of pages back and in two or three different time periods, with multiple examples. I could not even begin to dig through this thread for those posts (and the links would now be useless anyway since they went to ebay).

Other shilled alternative media speculation books that I pointed out at the time that have also suffered massive and inordinate subsequent drops in value: marvel preview 4 and 7 and captain marvel 17 2nd print. Batman Adventures 12 is another one with multiple pricing anomalies noted similar to star wars 1, and I expect it to follow a similar pattern upon its alternate media release in August /September. And I'm pretty sure star wars is more popular than Harley Quinn. Also, keep an eye on New Mutants 87. See what's happening there ?

Not all sales are a result of shill bidding and/or fake eBay Buy it Now's but those strategically timed sales do create a false perception of "value" that can then lead to real sales by unsuspecting or less savvy buyers , which in turn creates a beast that's similar to a snake eating its tail. If enough of those sales were real and not the result of rampant speculation and shilling then values would not collapse so utterly just because the movie came out. Collectors suddenly don't care about star wars 1 simply becaue we are now in between movies ? The last one is still out and in the top 10 nationally on its way to a billion dollar domestic haul. That isn't enough to keep "collectors " interested ? This was hardly the first star wars movie ever released. Why did the book appear to triple in value this time? If you look at completed eBay sales you will see that hardly any copies of star wars 1 are selling at all, regardless of grade or condition. Is that because collectors have suddenly decided to abandon the book- despite a hit movie- or because speculators did? These are rhetorical questions of course , but you get the idea.

-J.

I have to say, although Jay was pretty aggressive and relentless in pointing out this recent manipulation, especially in regards to SW 1, his evidence was undeniable and there was definitely a pattern of shilling on this book. Also, I believe this book reached even higher levels on Clink than on ebay (I seem to remember another sale around $2500 which was about the highest point the book reached). Just seems strange that someone would still be doing it through CLink but not on ebay where plenty of copies are collecting dust at $1300 and up.

I have to say, although Jay was pretty aggressive and relentless in pointing out this recent manipulation, especially in regards to SW 1, his evidence was undeniable and there was definitely a pattern of shilling on this book. Also, I believe this book reached even higher levels on Clink than on ebay (I seem to remember another sale around $2500 which was about the highest point the book reached). Just seems strange that someone would still be doing it through CLink but not on ebay where plenty of copies are collecting dust at $1300 and up.

Exactly, well said... I love when common sense prevails :golfclap:

The same scenario occured on CL with All Star Comics#58 when that was

"thrilled" to $3,000 +. I can't remember the exact amount.

These books NEVER sold for that much and were available at any given time for much less. You can't really believe that some non-savvy buyer isn't going to do their due diligence before buying a book.

Heck, I'm not savvy with new T.V's but when I bought one I didn't just go to a store and spend ridiculous amounts of money before doing my due diligence.

Its in the best interest of these on-line auction sites to "realize" these astronomical results. Its free marketing to make people think they will get the best prices. Some "thrilling" just gets out of hand and the poor consignor has no recourse but to relist.

Why would anyone shill a book on Comiclink?

They don't report their results to GPA, so vastly over-paying for something on Clink won't affect even the short-term price the way that shilling via eBay or Heritage would.

Especially when there are multiple (and transparent) other options for buying such a comic book for less, it makes zero sense.

As others have pointed out, though -- it in 3 minutes of searching eBay I found a white-paged 9.8 sitting unsold at a $1,600 Buy-It-Now.

I demonstrated multiple examples of shilling on this book scores of pages back and in two or three different time periods, with multiple examples. I could not even begin to dig through this thread for those posts (and the links would now be useless anyway since they went to ebay).

-J.

No you didn't. You just keep blowing off sales as shilled with zero evidence.

Are you the 'shiller' on Clink? I suggest you don't know what the heII you are talking about. You lost all credibility with this Epic fail thread

I demonstrated multiple examples of shilling on this book scores of pages back and in two or three different time periods, with multiple examples. I could not even begin to dig through this thread for those posts (and the links would now be useless anyway since they went to ebay).

-J.

Are you the 'shiller' on Clink? I suggest you don't know what the heII you are talking about. You lost all credibility with this Epic fail thread

lol ...and yet Star Wars 1 is back down to a $1000 book (and falling?) and both Marvel Preview 4 and 7 are at about one-third their peak, post-shill values as well. hm

You seem like an angry and overly defensive fellow- particularly when it comes to Star Wars. Might I suggest taking a walk in the sunshine sometime?

-J.

-J.

lol ...and yet Star Wars 1 is back down to a $1000 book (and falling?) and both Marvel Preview 4 and 7 are at about one-third their peak, post-shill values as well. hm

You seem like an angry and overly defensive fellow- particularly when it comes to Star Wars. Might I suggest taking a walk in the sunshine sometime?

-J.

Wrong, but why don't you actually pay for GPA and have some information and not just 'speculate'. (thumbs u