• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Hulk vs Thing?

116 posts in this topic

I'd come in on the side of FF 12 as the first Hulk vs. Thing fight. They fought, it was Hulk and Thing trading blows. The scale of the fight in 25-26 is definitely much greater but I side with the "a fight is a fight is a fight" mentality.

Really? Are you any fan of boxing? Do you think that the third fight between Muhammed Ali and Joe Frazier (the Thrilla in Manilla) is a fight the same as the local "Tough Man" competition bouts that make the blooper reels?

There are fights, then there are epic battles.

I'd come in on the side of FF 12 as the first Hulk vs. Thing fight. They fought, it was Hulk and Thing trading blows. The scale of the fight in 25-26 is definitely much greater but I side with the "a fight is a fight is a fight" mentality.

Really? Are you any fan of boxing? Do you think that the third fight between Muhammed Ali and Joe Frazier (the Thrilla in Manilla) is a fight the same as the local "Tough Man" competition bouts that make the blooper reels?

What if an epic battle was filmed and only 4 frames of footage existed?

If I see you at the grocery store and punch you, and you respond by throwing your shopping cart at me, which results in a really awkward and kinda hoemo looking wrestling match, did we fight?

That would never happen.

Roy would featherkick your fist as you tried to punch him. Then he would featherkick the shopping cart at you.

Awkward wrestling match would then ensue.

I'll take a shot.

I believe FF 112 was their next fight, then they hooked up again in an issue of Hulk- Edited- it was issue 122.

In the later Bronze age they had a battle where they reversed minds and fought in each others bodies. That was in the thirty five cent title called Marvel Super Stars or something to that effect- It was the first issue of marvels short lived Giant Sized books, and next they alternatley fought then teamed up in FF 166/ 167.

Thats from memory and could be wrong.

They fought in Marvel Feature #11, which was post Hulk #122 and pre- Giant Size Super Stars #1. Also from memory and could be wrong.

I think you have both forgotten Hulk #153....

And Hulk 122 (3rd fight) precedes FF 112 (4th fight) by about 18 months.

I'll take a shot.

I believe FF 112 was their next fight, then they hooked up again in an issue of Hulk- Edited- it was issue 122.

In the later Bronze age they had a battle where they reversed minds and fought in each others bodies. That was in the thirty five cent title called Marvel Super Stars or something to that effect- It was the first issue of marvels short lived Giant Sized books, and next they alternatley fought then teamed up in FF 166/ 167.

Thats from memory and could be wrong.

They fought in Marvel Feature #11, which was post Hulk #122 and pre- Giant Size Super Stars #1. Also from memory and could be wrong.

I think you have both forgotten Hulk #153....

And Hulk 122 (3rd fight) precedes FF 112 (4th fight) by about 18 months.

....and when I was a kid, Hulk 122 sold the f*** out ! It was years before I ever saw one. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Very sharp use of analogy. (thumbs u

Very sharp use of analogy. (thumbs u

It's not a film where all but four panels was lost to decay. Nothing's been lost to decay. In FF 12 the Thing and the Hulk only fought for four panels. That's all Lee scripted, it's all Kirby drew. It's all that happened.

I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from FF 12. It's a huge book, a milestone book. It's far more valuable than FF 25. But it's not an epic battle between the Hulk and the Thing. That came later in FF 25.

I acknowledge that the first time the Hulk and the Thing traded blows is in FF 25. We can all agree it's their first fight. But to suggest the battle between the Hulk and the Thing in FF 12 is equal to the battle in FF 25 ("a fight is a fight is fight") is just silly. It's like saying "a car is a car is a car" (ever been to the Indy 500?) or "a horse is a horse is a horse" (ever watched the Kentucky Derby?)

I get a sense there is almost a mistrust here with the opposing opinions of "the other side". The FF 12 camp doesn't feel like their book gets it's proper due as a first. And the FF 25 camp feels like the FF 12 camp would just label their book as "Avengers X-over" and pretend like there was nothing special about the Hulk Vs Thing battle.

Is it really that hard to agree that the Hulk and Thing's first fight was in FF 12 - and that the Hulk and the Thing's first story length one on one battle was FF 25?

It's not a film where all but four panels was lost to decay. Nothing's been lost to decay. In FF 12 the Thing and the Hulk only fought for four panels. That's all Lee scripted, it's all Kirby drew. It's all that happened.

I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from FF 12. It's a huge book, a milestone book. It's far more valuable than FF 25. But it's not an epic battle between the Hulk and the Thing. That came later in FF 25.

I acknowledge that the first time the Hulk and the Thing traded blows is in FF 25. We can all agree it's their first fight. But to suggest the battle between the Hulk and the Thing in FF 12 is equal to the battle in FF 25 ("a fight is a fight is fight") is just silly. It's like saying "a car is a car is a car" (ever been to the Indy 500?) or "a horse is a horse is a horse" (ever watched the Kentucky Derby?)

I get a sense there is almost a mistrust here with the opposing opinions of "the other side". The FF 12 camp doesn't feel like their book gets it's proper due as a first. And the FF 25 camp feels like the FF 12 camp would just label their book as "Avengers X-over" and pretend like there was nothing special about the Hulk Vs Thing battle.

Nobody is saying film was lost to decay and it has nothing to do with wanting one book to be better than the other. It's just a matter of fact that the first fight was in FF #12.

What I am saying is that the fight took longer than it takes to read the 4 (or 6) panels on the comic page so some stuff was left for the imagination and not everything was put on paper...which was exactly the way most stories were done at the dawn of the Marvel age. Early Marvel story telling was choppy and childlike simple.

Later, very soon after...within a year or two, stories were expounded upon as Stan realized that he could milk it for more than just a few panels.

Is it really that hard to agree that the Hulk and Thing's first fight was in FF 12 - and that the Hulk and the Thing's first story length one on one battle was FF 25?

That's a bit of a change from what we were debating originally. We weren't debating as to which one was story length. Here is the original post at the start of this thread.

At issue is whether or not the Thing and Hulk first battled in FF12 or FF25.

In my opinion they first battled in FF #12, even if only 4 panels convey that battle.

The battle is certainly brief in 12--more like a preliminary to the heavy round, epic battle royal clash in 25. The story is obviously much more detailed and captivating in the 25/26 fight as the other FF members are detained/injured. Marvel headlined the 12 as the "FF meets the Hulk" so a Hulk v. Thing battle is not really marketed heavily as the cover suggests.

65F41322-5C10-4DA2-9E16-27E1D577457F-12648-000008D995BA98A4.jpg

Here are some cool panel shots of the 12---I'm a bigger fan of the 12 cover it being an earlier 12 cent circle marvel. The story in 25/26 is more interesting...

D1F864DC-BCE3-4E37-854F-E6B70EF28B72-12648-000008D6C020466B.jpg

39FA01F4-7414-4BFB-963D-8DA09478FF4A-12648-000008D6D0731E02.jpg

The question is "First Hulk vs. Thing", nothing about the scale or size of the altercation. The Frist Hulk vs. Thing is in FF 12 IMO. Is it an "epic battle"? Perhaps not, but that wasn't part of the question.

And while I'm no fan of boxing, I would say that a fight is a fight is a fight, whether it is two heavyweight champions or two drunk dudes outside a bar at 3am. Definition, not scale.

If the question was about which fight was more Epic, more worthy of a "title fight", then yes, 25-26 is the marker. But first means first and 12 came before 25.