• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Did anyone else see this temporary thread from CGC in CG?

Evidently, the encapsulation and grading of covers and pages using the new designations of CVR (cover) and PG (page) starts 11/17. Anything more than one cover or one wrap would continue to receive the standard NG grade.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Here's the official announcement.

CGC Expands “No Grade” Designation Into “Page” and “Cover”

Posted on 11/13/2014

CGC expands its "No Grade" designation to include individual wraps, papers and covers of comic books.

CGC has announced the expansion of its current NG "No Grade" designation into NG, PG, and CVR. These new categories will represent individual wraps, pages or covers of comic books, and reflects a growing trend towards collecting parts of comics for display or restoration.

Due to an increasing demand for incomplete comics, CGC is launching two new categories for covers and interior pages, appropriately called PG and CVR. The term PG stands for “Page” and will represent individual pages or wraps submitted to CGC for encapsulation. The term CVR will represent “Cover”, whether it’s a front cover, back cover, or a full cover. Incomplete copies that contain more than one wrap will continue to be encapsulated in the sister category NG (No Grade). Because these parts fall below the POOR category in comic book grading, CGC designations will not apply a technical numeric grade. As values for mega keys such as Action Comics #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15 continue to increase beyond the pocketbook of many buyers, demand for single pages has grown, allowing collectors a chance to own a piece of history at a fraction of the cost. Restoring incomplete books also sends collectors searching for parts of comics, such as centerfolds and front or back covers. The new PG and CVR labels will showcase these parts and also provide a level of trust by correctly identifying the part and its page quality, as well as detecting any restoration or trimming present on the part.

CGC will be utilizing the new categories starting Monday, November 17th. For any questions regarding these new designations, please contact Brittany McManus: bmcmanus@cgccomics.com, 941-360-3991.

Definitely.

Or a Watchman spin-off.

That is from the Common Grounds series - which was originally the Holey Crullers self-published comic. I am probably the biggest fanboy of these stories ever. They always had a Twilight Zone/ Outer Limits twist to the stories. I LOVED them. I still have two complete sets of the originally published pamphlet-style comics.

Troy Hickman wrote a lot of really good stories like this!

Dangit. Now I want to collect them.

Do you have any pics?

Not in my photobucket, but (wonder of wonders) I think I know where they are. I will try to get some pics tonight.

Awesome! I would love to see those.

I'm assuming that the pamphlets wouldn't qualify for SS.

I pulled this from Wiki...

The series began in 1994 as the black-and-white mini-comic, Holey Crullers, written by Hickman and drawn by Jerry Smith, and was circulated through mail order and direct sales at comic book conventions (resulting in very few copies of Crullers being in existence today). In 1997, Wizard magazine became aware of the cult comic, and devoted a four-page article to it (a first for a photocopied, black-and-white mini-comic).

I'd be curious to know the estimate on how many copies actually exist today.

You should probably get that Wizard magazine too (if you don't already have it).

I was turned on to this book by Steve Bates at Bookery Fantasy. He had turned me on to some great Indy books in the late 90's when I got back into comics - Rib, Tales from the Bog, Pakkins Land, Poison Elves (originally I, Lusiphur).

But none of them were as good as these five mini-comics. Just like the best Twilight Zone episodes, they could make you laugh, cry, cheer, gasp, think. Just a wonderful concept - Holey Crullers was a safe zone where everyone, Heroes and Villains alike took a little time off. Feuds and grudges were left at the door, and great yarns ensued.

Someone (I am pretty sure it was Aman619) EXCORIATED me when I was a n00b for mentioning Holey Crullers in the same breath as works by Moore, Miller, Busiek etc. I backed off a little then, but these really are special stories.

Sean, thanks for taking the time to photograph and post those.

They're cool as hell. I'm jelly. :)

I'm going to start looking around for the Common Grounds books. I really want to read those stories.

I wonder if Holey Crullers variants exist, since they used different colors of paper during the series?

It wouldn't surprise me. Going through these, I don't have two full sets, I have an extra #1 and #2. They both have the same color paper. I would have gotten these in '98. I can't remember if I got to meet Hickman or not.

Check this out.

lurkingrhythmically.blogspot.com

Go down about halfway to the Sunday, July 15, 2007 Troy Hickman post.

Some good info in there.

Yeah, that was great. I can virtually guarantee I got those books within 60 days of when Wizard 79 was published, but I don't think I ever saw it. While I was tracking those down, I found my Torso #1 & 2 signed by Bendis at Mid-Ohio 1998. I bought a bunch of Northland peds from Mike Goldman at that show. Good times. :cloud9:

Funniest line I've heard on Big Bang in a while:

Leonard: "I'm not going to die in an asteroid strike!"

Sheldon: "Tell that to every cocky T. Rex that is currently swimming around in your gas tank right now."

lol

That just tickled my funny bone.

Sheldon: "Tell that to every cocky T. Rex that are currently swimming around in your gas tank right now."

lol

I laughed at that too. Every time I think that show has jumped the shark, they do something to make me want to continue to watch.

The joke reminded me of (maybe someone can remember the name of it) some comedy show that featured a family of dinosaurs. Dino suits worn by the actors. The father was a T-Rex. The big asteroid strike never occurred in their reality, so the Dinos had evolved to the same level as humans (sort of).

In one episode, their house is destroyed by a rock from space. The T-Rex father argues with the meteor insurance adjuster about it. The adjuster points out that it was a "meteorite" that had struck the house, not a meteor; and, therefore, the claim would not be paid. And if I remember correctly, he even points out that technically the house would have to be orbiting the planet for it to be covered. lol

Sheldon: "Tell that to every cocky T. Rex that is currently swimming around in your gas tank right now."

lol

I laughed at that too. Every time I think that show has jumped the shark, they do something to make me want to continue to watch.

The joke reminded me of (maybe someone can remember the name of it) some comedy show that featured a family of dinosaurs. Dino suits worn by the actors. The father was a T-Rex. The big asteroid strike never occurred in their reality, so the Dinos had evolved to the same level as humans (sort of).

In one episode, their house is destroyed by a rock from space. The T-Rex father argues with the meteor insurance adjuster about it. The adjuster points out that it was a "meteorite" that had struck the house, not a meteor; and, therefore, the claim would not be paid. And if I remember correctly, he even points out that technically the house would have to be orbiting the planet for it to be covered. lol

This one?

lol

This one?

That's it!

Man...that show was a lot funnier in my memory. :eek:

Anyway, I found the clip...