• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Now I'm on a Tony Levin jag... lol

Adrian Belew played a 200-seater in my town about 2 weeks ago. Adrian Belew Power Trio. He did Elephant talk but started at D. They were smoking. I have been playing this album, Pretty Pink Rose, and Three of a Perfect Pair fairly regularly since then.

Yeah, those guys are great.

I still think you'd like Tony Levin.

Here he is doing Black Dog (Zepp)...check out what he's doing on the bass.

Dig it. :headbang:

It's just your basic, straight-up, rock-n-roll ditty.

But since it doesn't have a stripper using auto-tune with backup dancers, this dinosaur has nowhere to go.

I heart strippers with auto tune and back up dancers. :cloud9:

Tony Levin plays bass awesome, but he also plays this bass-like thing called a Chapman stick. From what I recall my musician friends telling me it is actually a fretless bass that operates on harmonics or something. I knew a guy in college who played beautiful music on the thing. Google it if you want real info and not my moss-covered memories! But it takes a very skilled musician to play the stick, as it requires more precise placements to get the notes sounding best. you can't just be in the area, you got to nail it. Apparently Levin plays it on the Close to the Edge live songs done by Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe. I just found that out myself and will go listen now. (I have also been listening to my japanese imported Steve Howe Album, the first one - used to have the album.)

But anyone pumping Tony Levin knows what he is talking about in my book! I am a Jaco guy myself (Paco Distortionist as my friend called him.)

It sounds like Primus listened to this song a lot.

I think Primus list their two main influences as Rush and King Crimson. On Discipline, Thela Hun Jinjeet in one of the best songs ever and Matte Kudeci can make you cry in its' beauty. Obviously I was not worried about spelling there, but I am not far off!

Okay, last post in my Ditch takeover. I was just listening to Thela Hun Jinjeet with my 11 year old daughter and doing the guy telling the story and also Adrian's guitar noodles. She knows how crazy I am and is now wagging her head along to The Sheltering Sky.

Okay, sorry, one more. I just got this email now...Julie Slick + Marco Machera w/ special guests: Pat Mastelotto & Tim Motzer & Out of the Beardspace

So that is some synchronicity, huh?

It sounds like Primus listened to this song a lot.

I think Primus list their two main influences as Rush and King Crimson. On Discipline, Thela Hun Jinjeet in one of the best songs ever and Matte Kudeci can make you cry in its' beauty. Obviously I was not worried about spelling there, but I am not far off!

:cloud9:

Adrian Belew played a 200-seater in my town about 2 weeks ago. Adrian Belew Power Trio. He did Elephant talk but started at D. They were smoking. I have been playing this album, Pretty Pink Rose, and Three of a Perfect Pair fairly regularly since then.

I've seen Belew at several NAMM shows. He's incredible. Always has a huge crowd.