• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiceX reviews the new Amazing Spider-Man movie...

202 posts in this topic

I've also discovered that there's a huge difference between expecting something to be good, and expecting to enjoy it. The first is an expectation you're placing on the film, the latter is an attitude.

Yup. Bingo.

SPOILER ALERT

Ugh...

I just think the core of the character is completely compromised in this movie.

It would be like taking the revenge factor out of Batman.

Spidey does what he does out of guilt. A guilt he can never really ever make up for.

Sorry, but even with the smallest of expectations I just can't accept the origin being botched that bad. It's essential to the character. The thief is still on the loose.

This shouldnt be a Green Lantern movie, which is what it reminded me of. It's Marvel's highest profile character. There should be pathos and depth in not only the hero, but the supporting cast and villians.

Curt Conners is just another scientist who goes goofy from too much power and really doesn't even pay the ultimate price for killing the hero's girlfriend's father!

No one pays the price for killing the hero's uncle!

When Captain Stacey dies in the comic, he reveals that he knows Spider-man is Peter Parker by telling him to 'look after Gwen', which ends up being even more tragic, because he ultimately fails to do so.

Now it'd be foolish to expect these movies to follow the comics that specific, but in the movie, as Capt Stacey is dying he tells Peter to stay away from Gwen, and a few scenes later Gwen and Peter essentially laugh about it just after the funeral. Hunh?

And that's the other thing: I'm well aware movie people aren't 'real', but the dialogue and behavior is just so sappy in this movie it's outright distracting.

This just isn't Spider-man.

All the other things I could complain about like a high school intern having what seems like complete access to Oscorp, Gwen and Peter immediately falling in love despite him being creepy and stalking her, seemingly everyone knowing his secret identity, etc., etc., would be a little easier to gloss over if they just would've gotten the essence of the character right.

Really I think the positive feedback this movie has gotten on the forum has more to do with everyone living vicariously through Garfield's romance with Emma Stone than anything else.

I just expect more from a movie about a Marvel character.

I just saw it. Overall, it was okay. Especially liked the Spidey scenes... Their cgi really captured how he swings and fights. But the Lizard was awful. Too cartoony. And I was pretty bored thru much of it..

It got me worried we may be nearer the end of the comic film era than the beginning. Normal people have got to be getting bored with the same old plot lines.. Good guy, bad guy, girlfriend troubles, fight scene, crisis of confidence, climactic fight scene. etc etc

Avengers had humor and a few surprises going for it. This felt like just more of the same old genre devices.

To me a least.

And while I'm thinking about it, what's with the politically correct, spineless, wimpy, progressive destruction of the "with great powers come great responsibility" speech?

I had to pause the movie during this awkward dialog because I vomited on my sofa and I didn't want it to stain.

I can't even express the agony in my facepalm after I witnessed this scene.

And while I'm thinking about it, what's with the politically correct, spineless, wimpy, progressive destruction of the "with great powers come great responsibility" speech?

I had to pause the movie during this awkward dialog because I vomited on my sofa and I didn't want it to stain.

I skipped to the last page of this thread. Can I go out on a limb here and say the final review is this movie is lousy for everyone except kids?

I skipped to the last page of this thread. Can I go out on a limb here and say the final review is this movie is lousy for everyone except kids?

And COI.

So, yes. Everyone except kids. hm

And COI.

So, yes. Everyone except kids. hm

What does COI stand for?

What does COI mean?

We've found 31 definitions for COI

Cytochrome Oxidase I

Academic & Science » Chemistry

COI

Community Of Interest

Governmental » Military

COI

Coefficient Of Inbreeding

Medical » Veterinary

COI

Cost of Illness

Business » General

COI

Cogent Communications Group, Inc.

Business » AMEX Symbols

COI

City Of Industry

Regional

COI

Coordinator of Information

Governmental » FBI Files

COI

Critical Operational Issue

Governmental » Military

COI

Center Of Influence

Governmental » US Government

COI

Chronic Orthostatic Intolerance

Medical » Physiology

COI

Contingency Orbit Insertion

Governmental » NASA

COI

Charge Ordered Insulating

Academic & Science » Electronics

COI

Communications Operating Instructions

Governmental » Military

COI

Centre Of Influence

Academic & Science » Universities

COI

Community Of Immortality

Miscellaneous » Science Fiction

COI

Chickens On Ice

Miscellaneous » Food

COI

Church Of Iron

Community » Religion

COI

Center Of Influence

Governmental » Military

COI

Coast Orbital Insertion

Governmental » NASA

COI

Composite Optics, Inc.

Governmental » NASA

COI

Cost Of Insurance

Business » Accounting

COI

Conflict Of Interest

Governmental » FDA

COI

Contact Of Interest

Governmental » Military

COI

Comet Ridge Ltd

Business » ASX Symbols

COI

cardiac output index

Medical » British Medicine

Chickens on ice? (shrug)

lol

“If you can do good things for other people, you have a moral obligation to do those things. Not choice — responsibility.”

Sounds more like Pa Kent talking to Clark.

Really I think the positive feedback this movie has gotten on the forum has more to do with everyone living vicariously through Garfield's romance with Emma Stone than anything else.

Nah. I wasn't expecting to be blown away and I wasn't, but it was fun. I don't expect greatness, depth, realism or mind-expansion from comic book movies, especially from the superhero formula which is limited, and from a story I have seen and read in various forms thousands of times over the years.

This movie is great for kids, teens, or anyone who really has no real familiarity with the mythos and just wants a fun popcorn flick. And that's perfect, because that's who the movie should be for.

SPOILER ALERT

Ugh...

Spidey does what he does out of guilt. A guilt he can never really ever make up for.

Sorry, but even with the smallest of expectations I just can't accept the origin being botched that bad. It's essential to the character. The thief is still on the loose.

This shouldnt be a Green Lantern movie, which is what it reminded me of. It's Marvel's highest profile character. There should be pathos and depth in not only the hero, but the supporting cast and villians.

Curt Conners is just another scientist who goes goofy from too much power and really doesn't even pay the ultimate price for killing the hero's girlfriend's father!

When Captain Stacey dies in the comic, he reveals that he knows Spider-man is Peter Parker by telling him to 'look after Gwen', which ends up being even more tragic, because he ultimately fails to do so.

Now it'd be foolish to expect these movies to follow the comics that specific, but in the movie, as Capt Stacey is dying he tells Peter to stay away from Gwen, and a few scenes later Gwen and Peter essentially laugh about it just after the funeral. Hunh?

And that's the other thing: I'm well aware movie people aren't 'real', but the dialogue and behavior is just so sappy in this movie it's outright distracting.

All the other things I could complain about like a high school intern having what seems like complete access to Oscorp, Gwen and Peter immediately falling in love despite him being creepy and stalking her, seemingly everyone knowing his secret identity, etc., etc., would be a little easier to gloss over if they just would've gotten the essence of the character right.

This.

I think you've got this completely wrong.

If you were a teen with hormones raging and the confidence of someone who can military press a car, and you're totally into a chick who is totally into you, are you going to just simply do what he asked without conflict? They clearly showed he was conflicted; he didn't attend the funeral, and even told her they couldn't be together. There was no laughing at the end, and there was no explicit breaking of the promise; he merely indicated to Gwen that he might not be able to keep that promise, and she smiled because she wants it. They didn't swing off into the sunset.

It's clear that this decision is going to have ramifications, and that's what they're setting up for. We know what happens to Gwen, and it's clear as day that they're setting up Peter for that fall. That's the conflict, and it's perfectly consistent with Peter's character, and with how teenagers make decisions in real life.

And what was corny between them? They kissed once, and never uttered anything resembling "I love you", "I need you", "you're my world" etc... Teen romance is always a little corny to middle-aged men, which is why this movie isn't aimed at you.

SPOILER ALERT

I never really thought about this, but you are right. I still really liked the film, but there are a few more flaws then I realized.

And if they went with the traditional "great powers" speech, critics would have blitched about how it's the same tired thing all over again, and that this reboot didn't need to exist, blah, blah, blah.

This movie was going to get slammed no matter how they handled it. People were slamming it long before it hit theaters.

SPOILER ALERT

I never really thought about this, but you are right. I still really liked the film, but there are a few more flaws then I realized.

It's not a flaw. They're setting the stage for Gwen's death. :makepoint:

I think you've got this completely wrong.

If you were a teen with hormones raging and the confidence of someone who can military press a car, and you're totally into a chick who is totally into you, are you going to just simply do what he asked without conflict? They clearly showed he was conflicted; he didn't attend the funeral, and even told her they couldn't be together. There was no laughing at the end, and there was no explicit breaking of the promise; he merely indicated to Gwen that he might not be able to keep that promise, and she smiled because she wants it. They didn't swing off into the sunset.

It's clear that this decision is going to have ramifications, and that's what they're setting up for. We know what happens to Gwen, and it's clear as day that they're setting up Peter for that fall. That's the conflict, and it's perfectly consistent with Peter's character, and with how teenagers make decisions in real life.

And what was corny between them? They kissed once, and never uttered anything resembling "I love you", "I need you", "you're my world" etc... Teen romance is always a little corny to middle-aged men, which is why this movie isn't aimed at you.

I didn't see this at all. I saw Peter being told to stay away from Gwen by a father that didn't trust him, and Peter's response at the end being more arrogant than anything. He was basically saying "screw what your Dad said to me with his dying breath, I don't have to keep that promise if I don't feel like it." That isn't how Peter should have reacted, and it isn't nearly as powerful as the way that sequence played out in the comics. He did stay away from the funeral, which does show some level of conflict, but that was already chipping away when Gwen saw him just a short time later so he wasn't that conflicted.

If they are setting Peter up for a fall, it would seem to be due to his flippancy and arrogance, and not because he tries to be all things and save everyone and ultimately fails at the worst times.

I didn't see this at all. I saw Peter being told to stay away from Gwen by a father that didn't trust him, and Peter's response at the end being more arrogant than anything. He was basically saying "screw what your Dad said to me with his dying breath, I don't have to keep that promise if I don't feel like it." That isn't how Peter should have reacted, and it isn't nearly as powerful as the way that sequence played out in the comics. He did stay away from the funeral, which does show some level of conflict, but that was already chipping away when Gwen saw him just a short time later so he wasn't that conflicted.

He trusted him. What he said was (paraphrased) "this city needs you, but you're going to make enemies along the way, so promise to keep Gwen out of it". It's the same conflict he's always had, but instead of the conflict being mostly internal (secret identity), in this case the conflict is going to come from keeping his promise vs. convincing himself that he can be with her and keep her safe. And guess what? He won't keep her safe, and that's why it's a great setup.

That isn't how Peter should have reacted, and it isn't nearly as powerful as the way that sequence played out in the comics.

To you, because, once again, you want things to be the way you want them to be as an adult who grew up with the character. But having flaws (arrogance) and making mistakes because of those flaws is a much more powerful and relevant message to convey to a newer, younger audience, and it's much easier to identify with than the typical boyscout Peter Parker of the 1960s. The world is infinitely more complex for teenagers today, and keeping true to the always-on-the-cross boyscout Peter Parker just won't be as compelling for that audience.

I'm not trying to convince you guys to like the movie, but to try to look at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't have a basement stacked with longboxes. If you want these characters to remain popular and relevant, things have to change, and I'm happy to see that they're attempting to make this character more relevant and appealing to more people. I've enjoyed Spidey for 30 years, and have no problem passing the torch.

He trusted him. What he said was (paraphrased) "this city needs you, but you're going to make enemies along the way, so promise to keep Gwen out of it". It's the same conflict he's always had, but instead of the conflict being mostly internal (secret identity), in this case the conflict is going to come from keeping his promise vs. convincing himself that he can be with her and keep her safe. And guess what? He won't keep her safe, and that's why it's a great setup.

That isn't how Peter should have reacted, and it isn't nearly as powerful as the way that sequence played out in the comics.

To you, because, once again, you want things to be the way you want them to be as an adult who grew up with the character. But having flaws (arrogance) and making mistakes because of those flaws is a much more powerful and relevant message to convey to a newer, younger audience, and it's much easier to identify with than the typical boyscout Peter Parker of the 1960s. The world is infinitely more complex for teenagers today, and keeping true to the always-on-the-cross boyscout Peter Parker just won't be as compelling for that audience.

I'm not trying to convince you guys to like the movie, but to try to look at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't have a basement stacked with longboxes. If you want these characters to remain popular and relevant, things have to change, and I'm happy to see that they're attempting to make this character more relevant and appealing to more people. I've enjoyed Spidey for 30 years, and have no problem passing the torch.

I see where you're coming from, respect your position, and don't disagree with your perspective. That being said, the bolded statement above both supports your point and ours. This isn't the Peter Parker that a fan of 50 years of comics would recognize, and therein lies the problem. It was Spidey's arrogance and flippancy that got Uncle Ben killed in AF #15, and Peter saw the error of his ways and spends the rest of his life trying to atone (and often failing spectacularly, but that is what gives his character depth). The movie Spidey is apparently going to have arrogance as his Achilles heel, and that is fundamentally a different character.

And yes, I misparaphrased Captain Stacy but I think his message was that Spidey was potentially good for the city but bad for his daughter. Quite a bit different from the comic message, but then so is everything else in the movie.

SPOILER ALERT

Ugh...

Did you like the other Spider-Man movie?

This isn't the Peter Parker that a fan of 50 years of comics would recognize, and therein lies the problem.

I agree and understand that this isn't the Peter Parker us Spidey fans are accustomed to. When I was actively collecting, it was almost primarily ASM, and I'm probably one of the biggest ASM fans ever. Not only that, but I'm most attached to the early bronze era, and to me the entire Gwen saga from the death of her pop to the original clone saga is sacred ground.

Where I disagree with you guys is the extent to which this different take on the mythos is a problem. From my perspective, those of us who have been fans of this character for decades will always be fans, and we'll always see the movies regardless of the direction they take. I think it's much more important to broaden the audience, and that requires change. I'm happy to see the attempt, and I just don't see a failure to appease decade long fans as a flaw overall.

And yes, I misparaphrased Captain Stacy but I think his message was that Spidey was potentially good for the city but bad for his daughter. Quite a bit different from the comic message, but then so is everything else in the movie.

It's different from Stacy's message to Spidey, but it's not so different from the conflict he always had in regards to being Spidey and protecting his loved ones. It's the same conflict being conveyed, just with a different delivery.