• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiceX reviews the new Amazing Spider-Man movie...

202 posts in this topic

I know. I've talked smack about this movie since they began making it. I didn't care anything about paying money to see it in the theater, so I waited until it came out at the Redbox.

A few days ago Redbox mailed me a free movie code, so I figured the timing was right.

I inserted the DVD with a little anticipation. I had heard several people say they liked it even better than the original Spidey movies. I decided not to pop any popcorn because A: I don't have any popcorn and B: I'm on day 5 of the South Beach Diet and I can't eat it anyway. So much for the popcorn.

The DVD started and I hunted around for my remote because it's one of those that plays movie trailers before taking you to the menu. I hate those. Found the remote and hit the menu button because I can't watch the movie until I get to the menu. I hit the play button and got ready to be amazed by the Amazing Spider-Man, because...it's in the name. I was anticipating something Amazing.

After the movie ended, I reflected for a few moments on what I liked and didn't like about it.

I liked: The web shooters, Gwen :luhv: and...I'm sure there was something else. Maybe. Oh yeah, the first true Spidey scene when he was talking smack to the thugs as he was toying around with them. That was Spidey to me. In that one scene they captured it better than the Toby movies.

I hated: Everything else. The movie in general. The costume is atrocious, I can't express how horrible that costume is. The Lizard. Yeah, pretty much everything else.

The little charm they gave him in that first Spidey scene was good but they never caught that magic again for the rest of the film. Everything was dark like a Twilight movie. I was expecting Peter to sparkle in the sunlight except I don't recall any sunlight in the movie. Perhaps they're saving that for Amazing Spider-Man 2.

There was no connection. I didn't connect personally with anyone in this movie. I didn't even care anything about Uncle Ben. Hell, I kept praying for someone to hurry up and shoot him. I was hoping they're pull a two-fer and bust a cap in Sally Fields, too.

My summary.

Web shooters = Good

Gwen Stacy = Ravishing

Movie = Sucks

DiceX = Correct as usual

I was pretty apathetic about it, but my son (11) wanted to see it, so we watched it last night.

It was better than I expected it to be.

As Spider-Man...he kept his mask on most of the time he was supposed to have it on, and when he took it off it was actually part of the story and not Tobey complaining that no one could see his face.

Also, even though Spidey suffers many losses in this film he kept the blubbering and weeping to a minimum. In the Tobey movies, especially towards the end, he spend more time crying and weeping than anything else.

So I give them credit for some of the things they got right. The missed on a bunch of stuff, but my 11 year old loved the movie. Perhaps it's not for us...it's for them.

I was pretty apathetic about it, but my son (11) wanted to see it, so we watched it last night.

It was better than I expected it to be.

As Spider-Man...he kept his mask on most of the time he was supposed to have it on, and when he took it off it was actually part of the story and not Tobey complaining that no one could see his face.

Also, even though Spidey suffers many losses in this film he kept the blubbering and weeping to a minimum. In the Tobey movies, especially towards the end, he spend more time crying and weeping than anything else.

So I give them credit for some of the things they got right. The missed on a bunch of stuff, but my 11 year old loved the movie. Perhaps it's not for us...it's for them.

I agree with these points.

It still sucked.

My big problem with the movie is how the Lizard developed in pretty much the exact same way as the Green Goblin.

Funding gets pulled from project by boss, needs to get results quick, tests experiments on himself. The similarities don't end there but you get the gist.