• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketchbooks/Artbooks

37 posts in this topic

I was wondering if people collected the sketchbooks and artbooks that creators sell personally. I think they are pretty cool.

nn_JSC_More_Gray_Area_Sketchbook_600px.png

nn_4_Adams_600px.png

nn_How_to_Draw_Boobs_535px.jpg

002_Buffy_the_Sketch_Book_535px.jpg

003_Buffy_the_Sketch_Book_535px.jpg

004_Buffy_the_Sketch_Book_535px.jpg

001_JG_Jones_Sketchbook.jpg

Supposedly on 5(?) or some other absurdly low number of these were made. It's signed by all the studio artists.

001_Studio_Revolver_Artbook_w350px.jpg

2009_Convention_Art_Book_535px.jpg

This was made for San Diego Comic Con, but the number was unique for the Atlanta Comic Convention.

nn_Sketches_Eric_Powell.jpg

nn_Neal_Adams_2007_Sketch_Book_600px.jpg

nn_Neal_Adams_2008_Sketch_Book_400px.jpg

nn_Neal_Adams_2009_Sketch_Book_400px.jpg

DG

I have often wondered about Sketchbooks. I don't know much about them, their production, distribution or their rarity because I don't go to conventions. Are they exclusive to cons, or do you get them at your LCS (I've never seen one at mine).

I was wondering if people collected the sketchbooks and artbooks that creators sell personally. I think they are pretty cool.

nn_JSC_More_Gray_Area_Sketchbook_600px.png

nn_4_Adams_600px.png

nn_How_to_Draw_Boobs_535px.jpg

002_Buffy_the_Sketch_Book_535px.jpg

003_Buffy_the_Sketch_Book_535px.jpg

004_Buffy_the_Sketch_Book_535px.jpg

001_JG_Jones_Sketchbook.jpg

Supposedly on 5(?) or some other absurdly low number of these were made. It's signed by all the studio artists.

001_Studio_Revolver_Artbook_w350px.jpg

2009_Convention_Art_Book_535px.jpg

This was made for San Diego Comic Con, but the number was unique for the Atlanta Comic Convention.

nn_Sketches_Eric_Powell.jpg

nn_Neal_Adams_2007_Sketch_Book_600px.jpg

nn_Neal_Adams_2008_Sketch_Book_400px.jpg

nn_Neal_Adams_2009_Sketch_Book_400px.jpg

DG

That J.G. Jones is a funny take on the famous Coppertone ad. :grin:

Sketchbooks like these are normally available at conventions only. If you are lucky enough to have a local artist in your area, sometimes the local stores will carry them if the artist brings some in. Georges Jeanty is local, so one of those I bought at a store. The Revolver Artbook was an oddity I found at a store. A week after buying it, Georges Jeanty told me that only about 5 were made. Their studio is down the street from the store where I bought it. I may have some more. I'll post scans if I locate them. The J.G Jones sketchbook is ashcan sized. The Neal Adams sketchbooks are magazine sized. I bought those from Continuity dealing with Neal's son directly.

My dad used to work for Schering-Plough and they owned Coppertone. I used to see the Coppertone ads quite frequently. It is a neat little homage to that classic ad.

I should have one from Greg Horn if I recall. Hmm!

DG

i have about 20 or so. some go for big bucks. bruce timm and early adam hughes books go for over a hundred usually.

I'm a big fan of art / sketchbooks and have several of them. My personal favorite is probably George Perez's Accent on the first E. Apparently less than 500 copies exist due to water damage that happened back when they were originally printed and stored in the 1970's.

Goodness, I've got tons of these. Frank Cho, Brian Bolland, Bruce Timm, Art Adams, Travis Charest, Time Sale, Adam Hughes etc etc. I'd pick them up on impulse at shows. I must have 12-14 years worth of these in boxes.

Goodness, I've got tons of these. Frank Cho, Brian Bolland, Bruce Timm, Art Adams, Travis Charest, Time Sale, Adam Hughes etc etc. I'd pick them up on impulse at shows. I must have 12-14 years worth of these in boxes.

Potential sales thread in your future?

Potential sales thread in your future?

I foresee much laziness in my future. I was too lazy to look for a sales thread too.

Brian Bolland sketchbook. :cloud9:

Yeah....he's only done one in all these years if you can believe it. Then he only printed 500 of them.

We are working on doing a new one with some different versions (color cover, etc) for the next convention cycle.

Here's Cho's first one:

Cho1Front.jpg

Here's the bolland one...

We did a special numbered set from 1 to 5 with little quarter sized sketches.

1full.jpg

Back.jpg