• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

I would note that the least successful Marvel superhero movie of the post-Iron Man generation of films was Captain America, who in many respects is the most DC-like hero and thus suffers from a lot of the same modern audience issues (except that he's not too powerful).

Incredible Hulk actually was significantly less successful than Captain America, both domestically and internationally.

Captain America did $176.7 million domestically and $191.9 million overseas for a total of $368.6 million.

Incredible Hulk did $134.8 million domestically and $128.6 million overseas for a total of $263.4 million, over a hundred million less than Captain America.

By comparison, Green Lantern was at $116.6 million domestically and $103.2 million overseas for a total of $219.8 million. The Amazing Spider-Man, on the other hand, did $262 million domestically and $490.2 million overseas for a total of $752.2 million.

And Superman Returns did $200.1 million domestically and $191 million overseas for a total of $391.1 million in 2006 money. It also didn't benefit from 3D premiums. So it wasn't a huge disaster, it just cost a lot more to make than these other films.

do you bother to read your double posts?

No reason to get snippy, people are just trying to state opinions here. we're all entitled to them aren't we?

Anyway, it's all good and like I said earlier (I think I did, maybe someone else did - oh my :P ) I hope WB pays attention to the fans this time.

lol bro...he actually meant DOUBLE posts....I had inadvertently posted the same thing 2x. That happens when I back up through pages to see which threads were updated.....if I go straight to "my stuff" it'll revert to showing everything as having been read already. To avoid that, I read from the last post in a thread I actually read, through the end.......and then back up through the pages until I'm at the "my watch list" screen that I start with when I login.

I'm pretty sure the Spidey relaunch still had a bigger box office domestically than Captain America, and way bigger global box office than Captain America.

I am sure that it beat it box office numbers wise, but from all accounts I have read hear and heard elsewhere the Amazing Spider-Man sucked verily much. That is what I am referring to.

I'm willing to be convinced, but I would say that all of the empirical evidence thus far supports my corner. Superman relaunch--resounding dud. It's not like they put the -script or direction into the hands of some hack or some snob who thought he was too good for comics.

Green Lantern--resounding dud.

What are the only commercially successful DC comic book movies of recent years? The Batman movies (see my point above that Batman is not like other DC heroes) and Watchmen, which is not old school DC.

GL was a dud because of the way they did it. IF they had just followed the Emerald Dawn storyline more closely as an outline AND looked at it as the start of a multi-movie property it would have been fine. Instead, they tried to add in a bunch of other concepts to set up the Hal vs. Sinestro battle in movie 2 and failed. All they had to do was follow the character development from ED to start off with, introduce battle some "yellow" bad-azz that was tied to Parallax, Hal gets his ring like in ED (much cooler IMO), then have Hal engage baddie, go to Oa, and do a final battle there. Hector Hammond should have been introduced as a bit player in the first movie to set him up for the second or third one. I would have had Parallax mentioned at the end with the Guardians showing "fear" after recognizing a disturbance in the "force", err.... emotional spectrum, similar to how Thanos was hinted at but not shown until the end of the Avengers.

Edited by kimik

do you bother to read your double posts?

No reason to get snippy, people are just trying to state opinions here. we're all entitled to them aren't we?

Anyway, it's all good and like I said earlier (I think I did, maybe someone else did - oh my :P ) I hope WB pays attention to the fans this time.

lol bro...he actually meant DOUBLE posts....I had inadvertently posted the same thing 2x. That happens when I back up through pages to see which threads were updated.....if I go straight to "my stuff" it'll revert to showing everything as having been read already. To avoid that, I read from the last post in a thread I actually read, through the end.......and then back up through the pages until I'm at the "my watch list" screen that I start with when I login.

glad someone was paying attention

Damn, dude, did you even read my post?

Yep, I read everything posted in the thread I created. I didn't think I needed to directly comment on everything posted just to make you feel like you weren't left out.

Again, it's like you're determined to just run your own little monologue here, and whatever anyone else posts is just to be disregarded if they disagree with you.

You can honestly throw platitudes at someone with your large diatribe?

If you stated something and I reiterated it and we were on the same page, great you get a cookie.

If you didn't and we're not, that's fine as well. Don't get the impression I was or wasn't responding to you directly or indirectly. I was just putting out my own thoughts free-form. Next time I'll be sure to tuck you into bed and get you a glass of water so you don't throw a hissy fit when I don't quote and reply.

Clearly you were responding to my post, since you disagreed with my comment that DC heroes won't be successful as modern movie franchises because they're too hokey.

Which is fine, but I was ridiculing the weakness of your arguments since you used Batman as an example of a non-hokey DC hero, which of course I had already pointed out in my post that Batman was the only non-hokey DC hero, thereby being the exception that proved the rule. The fact that you couldn't identify another JLA character that wasn't hokey shows exactly why DC hasn't greenlighted a JLA pic yet--the source material is too lame for modern audiences.

And then as further evidence for your point you mentioned the box office success of the first 2 Superman movies, which again I had already noted and explained that they were made in a completely different era.

I guess I had hoped for some interesting debate. Instead, I got the equivalent of you covering your ears and yelling "la la la la".

Again, I say these things not as some typical Marvel fanboy who thinks DC is lame and uncool, but as a die-hard DC fan who is realistic about the viability of DC characters with modern movie audiences.

But even dumb characters can and have had excellent story arcs when written well. All WB needs to do is manage avoid group thinking that usually leads them to bad scripts for their comics films.

Marvel has successfully turned their dumb characters into very entertaining films! Even the wide expectancy of a good AntMan film is proof that they "get it" and know how to fashion a good film from the most boring characters.

Actually, casting is key too. Iron Man would never be as huge a franchise without Downey Jrs take on Stark. Without his cheeky arrogance, iron man is just a guy in a robot suit.

I loved the Green Lantern movie (most did not) and hope the JLA movie makes it big.

I, for one, had DC blinders on for years, but finally took them off.

I now love the DC character line and look forward to the upcoming flicks.

I collected Marvels as well as DCs, but to the regret of my future pocketbook always stayed away from the most soap-opera-ish Marvels like Spidey. I was a small kid that got harassed at school and was from a family that never had enough money, so why would I want to read about someone else like that who had the power to do something about it but didn't?

In comparison, the DC heroes had it together in their personal lives (until the Giordano-Adams GL) and were always clearly the white knight and could just focus on beating villains, and most of the stories were wrapped up in 1 issue, maybe 2.

But modern audiences don't want heroes who have it all together and are clearly and unambiguously good.

I collected Marvels as well as DCs, but to the regret of my future pocketbook always stayed away from the most soap-opera-ish Marvels like Spidey. I was a small kid that got harassed at school and was from a family that never had enough money, so why would I want to read about someone else like that who had the power to do something about it but didn't?

In comparison, the DC heroes had it together in their personal lives (until the Giordano-Adams GL) and were always clearly the white knight and could just focus on beating villains, and most of the stories were wrapped up in 1 issue, maybe 2.

But modern audiences don't want heroes who have it all together and are clearly and unambiguously good.

Always wondered why you passed on those nice AF15s. hm

Because he's a smart investor.

Right Tim? :baiting:

Tim's at lunch right about now lol

From a true collector`s point of view, I`m proud to say I`ve never owned AF 15 because I`ve never had any interest in Spiderman.

From an investor`s point of view, I kick myself for never owning an AF 15.

On the other hand, the worst comic investments I ever made were where I was intentionally buying for investment purposes. All of my best comic investments were where I just happened to like the damn book and it then just happened to increase in value. So if I had ever purchased AF 15 for purely investment purposes, the first Spiderman movie would probably have been a huge dud and Spiderman prices would have stagnated forever or declined.

From a true collector`s point of view, I`m proud to say I`ve never owned AF 15 because I`ve never had any interest in Spiderman.

From an investor`s point of view, I kick myself for never owning an AF 15.

On the other hand, the worst comic investments I ever made were where I was intentionally buying for investment purposes. All of my best comic investments were where I just happened to like the damn book and it then just happened to increase in value. So if I had ever purchased AF 15 for purely investment purposes, the first Spiderman movie would probably have been a huge dud and Spiderman prices would have stagnated forever or declined.

Buying a 9.4 BB28 ain't too shabby! (thumbs u

Did I miss something? Is someone buying or has someone purchased a BB28 9.4 CGC?!

Tim (tth2) had one but I believe he recently sold it. It's posted somewhere in the BB28 thread.

The GPA Collector newsletter had an article entitled something to the effect 25 comic books you must read before you die, 15 of which were published or distributed by DC, while only 3 were Marvels. Don't know if that proves anything but I do believe looking at the titles that DC has taken more risks and has been willing to publish edgier stuff. I mean love them or hate them the new 52 had some crazy stuff and brought some new readers to comics. What's marvel done lately besides make billions on movie revenues and make Stan Lee wealthier?

Case in point. I liked the JLA, which is why I bought the book.

Believe me, at the price I bought it at, a lot of knowledgeable collectors and dealers at the time sincerely believed I would never ever make my money back. They weren`t saying so in a mean or malicious way, they just thought I way overpaid. So did I, truth be told, but I honestly didn`t care.

Edited by tth2