• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Thanks!

Tim, are you still holding onto the remaining DCs you had? If yes, any chance for a new thread showcasing them. :wishluck:

I haven`t made any significant sales since that thread. But a new thread wouldn`t be too exciting, since it would basically be an Adventure Legion thread. Plus, I wouldn`t want to post so much info about the books before I sell them. :P

Understood. I look forward to when you can as it would be nice to see some more gorgeous tough to find in high grade early SA DCs. (thumbs u

Tim opened the DC door for me with his posts. :cloud9:

Thanks!

Tim, are you still holding onto the remaining DCs you had? If yes, any chance for a new thread showcasing them. :wishluck:

I haven`t made any significant sales since that thread. But a new thread wouldn`t be too exciting, since it would basically be an Adventure Legion thread. Plus, I wouldn`t want to post so much info about the books before I sell them. :P

Understood. I look forward to when you can as it would be nice to see some more gorgeous tough to find in high grade early SA DCs. (thumbs u

I thought it was Showcase22's posts! lol:baiting:

I remember we didn't start off very well, as you didn't take kindly to my poking fun at you for posting your Janowicz FF #1 all over the place. Just part of the tth2 hazing initiation process. Good times! :cloud9:

That still has to be the whitest copy I've ever seen of that book. (worship)

This the reason I have never owned a copy of FF 1 - as a youth of the late 80s I could never understand why the old fart collectors showed so much reverence for such a weak title.

But it wasn't a weak title when it was being published in the Silver Age! It was a very good one. That's why it's held in such reverence today.

When I started reading/collecting comics in 1987 as a kid and Marvel fanboy it was Uncanny X-men and ASM first, followed by GI Joe and Transformers. The FF was a. Third tier title by then......just like today........

...but unless they revamp the FF franchise somehow the significance of FF #1 will continue to wane with collectors. Right now none of my collector friends under 40 collect the title. It is ASM, X-Men/Wolverine or Hulk for them.

FWIW, FF #1 has been a stagnating SA book for a while now, and I think that over time this trend will continue as the concept is no longer top tier fare like it was in the 60s. Back then it was innovative, but now it is a 2nd or 3rd tier Marvel title.

Your comparison is off base though. While Fantastic Four may indeed be a second or third tier title these days, this is being determined by the buying preferences of today's thirteen year old customers at the local comic shop. But these are not the collectors bidding thousands$ for high grade early Silver Age comics!

The collectors paying the big money for Fantastic Four 1 are doing so for two reasons. First of all, that was the issue that launched the Marvel Superhero Universe and revolutionized the history of comics. Secondly, the Fantastic Four title was Marvel's flagship through the Silver Age. That was where the canvas for Marvel's Universe was being painted. That's where the majority of Stan Lee's most creative thinking was displayed, and that's where the major character introductions that shaped the Marvel Universe occurred, e.g. Sub-Mariner, Skrulls, Dr. Doom, Inhumans, Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc. While the Amazing Spider-Man title was a good read as well, Spidey's supporting cast of Doc Ock, Vulture, Green Goblin, Kraven the Hunter, J. Jonah Jameson, Mary Jane Parker, Gwen Stacey, etc. were hardly characters playing lead roles in the grand panorama of the Marvel Universe.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat

Thanks!

I remember we didn't start off very well, as you didn't take kindly to my poking fun at you for posting your Janowicz FF #1 all over the place. Just part of the tth2 hazing initiation process. Good times! :cloud9:

Yeah, books come and go.

And newbies beware of Tim! lol

Your comparison is off base though. While Fantastic Four may indeed be a second or third tier title these days, this is being determined by the buying preferences of today's thirteen year old customers at the local comic shop. But these are not the collectors bidding thousands$ for high grade early Silver Age comics!

The collectors paying the big money for Fantastic Four 1 are doing so for two reasons. First of all, that was the issue that launched the Marvel Superhero Universe and revolutionized the history of comics. Secondly, the Fantastic Four title was Marvel's flagship through the Silver Age. That was where the canvas for Marvel's Universe was being painted. That's where the majority of Stan Lee's most creative thinking was displayed, and that's where the major character introductions that shaped the Marvel Universe occurred, e.g. Sub-Mariner, Skrulls, Dr. Doom, Inhumans, Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc. While the Amazing Spider-Man title was a good read as well, Spidey's supporting cast of Doc Ock, Vulture, Green Goblin, Kraven the Hunter, J. Jonah Jameson, Mary Jane Parker, Gwen Stacey, etc. were hardly characters playing lead roles in the grand panorama of the Marvel Universe.

:preach:

For now. There are more younger collectors dropping big $$ on books at shows and FF is not on their lists. As the older collectors phase out the less popular books will drop liek they always have.

I see more young collectors paying money for books at shows than older collectors, and they are buying ASM or X-Men from a Marvel perspective. One of the other boardies that I do shows with has had a Stan Lee SS FF #1 on the wall for two years now with no takers...........

On GPA it looks like the book is dropping a bit again as well outside of the higher grades. Possibly a buying opportunity if you are convinced on the book's staying power?

It is interesting to note that most of the new female collectors at shows and in sotres are DC fans, thanks to the New 52 relaunch, with the few buying Marvel back issues focusing on X-Men then ASM. I am curious to see how this trend plays out longer term as I have been selling bigger $$$ SA Batman, WW, JLA and other DC titles to female collectors over the past two years. Might be a good time to start tucking away some SA DC keys for 10 years from now?

Edited by kimik

Thanks!

He and a couple of others closed the uber-high grade door for me with the prices they were paying in the early to mid 00s. lol

It is interesting to note that most of the new female collectors at shows and in stores are DC fans, thanks to the New 52 relaunch....

Well that might translate into increased demand for DC comics from 1960-61 - in twenty years or so.

Might be a good time to start tucking away some SA DC keys for 10 years from now?

You're preaching to the converted. I've been tucking away nice Silver Age DCs for nearly 35 years. You might have noticed that I've posted scans of some as well.

;)

Edited by Hepcat

Thanks!

I was buying SA DC for a while already Tim. Just not as uber grade as you. ;)

I mean it was you that opened the door to DC for peewee with your enthusiastic posting.

I mean it was you that opened the door to DC for peewee with your enthusiastic posting.

Both of you are a couple of DC freaks. lol

Both of you are a couple of DC freaks. lol

:blush::hi:

Hope the door will open for DC soon...a lot of catch up versus the Marvels.

Back on point with some better sounding news:

According to sources Christopher Nolan has been put at the helm of all the upcoming Warner Brothers Superhero movies.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2013/03/03/christopher-nolan-returns-to-batman-and-oversees-team-up-movie/

This is among the biggest film news of the year, along with the announcement of Disney buying LucasFilms to develop new Star Wars movies. And it would involve one of the most powerful filmmaking teams, coming aboard what could potentially become the biggest superhero franchises in cinema...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/report-bale-to-return-as-batman-in-justice-league

Christian Bale is in talks to reprise his role as Batman in DC's upcoming Justice League movie, Christopher Nolan will oversee the project, and Man of Steel-helmer Zack Snyder will produce - and possibly direct....

Bob-a,

You're right, but I hadn't seen that news prior to prior to posting it. I thought it was pretty earth-shattering considering all the negativity with unknown directors and direction for the JLA movie.

That said, the only additional news I keep seeing surface is Ryan Reynolds spouting off like an infant about how he's not interested in the JLA movie....and he's sour graping the whole GL experience.

He does say alot of fantastic stuff about Marvel and that he's interested in a Deadpool movie. My guess is he's pushing to be more on the direction end of a project like that. There are many issues with brining such a project to the screen.

Anyway, I'm constantly scouring the media for anything developing on the JLA front...and if Reynolds doesn't want to pick his role back up in a blockbuster movie with Nolan at the helm....that's his loss.

I liked the GL movie, but it seems like almost any project involving superheroes and Reynolds seems to tank. I could be crazy, but maybe people can't get past Van Wilder or any of his other comedic jaunts.

He's just extraordinarily hard to take serious. Sort of the way the Flash is depicted....he'd probably make a better flash or Spiderman with all the wisecracking. He certainly makes a good Deadpool so I wish him luck with that.

Marvel had no compunction switching up the Human Torch for Captain America. They had less difficulty swapping out the main actor for the Hulk in 3 roles.....so I can see a JLA project moving forward without Reynolds. I'm not sure I'd miss him.....

He would be missing the boat however if he keeps up this stance of negativity towards GL.

Reynolds can do serious just fine. See "Definitely, Maybe" and "Safe House." Green Lantern's fault lay far more with the writing and the character itself than with his performance, although I would have preferred an actor 10 years older in the role.