• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

I collected Marvels as well as DCs, but to the regret of my future pocketbook always stayed away from the most soap-opera-ish Marvels like Spidey. I was a small kid that got harassed at school and was from a family that never had enough money, so why would I want to read about someone else like that who had the

From a true collector`s point of view, I`m proud to say I`ve never owned AF 15 because I`ve never had any interest in Spiderman.

From an investor`s point of view, I kick myself for never owning an AF 15.

On the other hand, the worst comic investments I ever made were where I was intentionally buying for investment purposes. All of my best comic investments were where I just happened to like the damn book and it then just happened to increase in value. So if I had ever purchased AF 15 for purely investment purposes, the first Spiderman movie would probably have been a huge dud and Spiderman prices would have stagnated forever or declined.

I had the same view on Spidey as well. I have owned a couple of AF 15s, but those came in trades and I flipped them right away as the $$ meant more to me than the character.

This the reason I have never owned a copy of FF 1 - as a youth of the late 80s I could never understand why the old fart collectors showed so much reverence for such a weak title.

This the reason I have never owned a copy of FF 1 - as a youth of the late 80s I could never understand why the old fart collectors showed so much reverence for such a weak title.

Ouch, I practically grew up on FF. It's such an ICONIC cover....how can you not want a copy for that reason alone?

Ouch, I practically grew up on FF. It's such an ICONIC cover....how can you not want a copy for that reason alone?

I agree with you there. FF #3 is a close second, save the two left hands on the torch.

Wen I started reading/collecting comics in 1987 as a kid and Marvel fanboy it was Uncanny X-men and ASM first, followed by GI Joe and Transformers. The FF was a. Third tier title by then......just like today........If I wanted a Marvel SA key outside of AF 15 now it would be a Hulk 1 or X-Men 1, not a lowly FF 1.

Besides, why buy the knock off (FF 1) when you can get the original, BB 28, instead?

Edited by kimik

Quadruple ouchies. I hear the logic, but I can't get around the FF#1 being referred to as a 'knockoff' or a third tier title....no facts...just MHO about the desirability for me personally.

Whenever someone mentions the FF, I can't help but see the image of the first issue in all it's glory.

As far as getting original anythings tho, why can't I have a FF1 & BB28....& a HULK #1 + X-men #1 with an AF15?

It's like Pokemon...you've gotta get them all bro. :)

Wen I started reading/collecting comics in 1987 as a kid and Marvel fanboy it was Uncanny X-men and ASM first, followed by GI Joe and Transformers. The FF was a. Third tier title by then......just like today........If I wanted a Marvel SA key outside of AF 15 now it would be a Hulk 1 or X-Men 1, not a lowly FF 1.

Besides, why buy the knock off (FF 1) when you can get the original, BB 28, instead?

If you're looking at it as a collector, your point of view makes more sense. As a reader, FF 1-102 beats the first 102 JLA appearances.

FF 1 is clearly a more valuable book than BB 28. FF 1 is a knockoff in the sense that, apparently, BB 28 inspired Martin Goodman to let Stan Lee take another whack at starting a superhero book. But FF 1's historical importance is much greater in that it began the Marvel SA. It's also a more interesting story than BB 28 and the FF were a more interesting and more innovative team than the JLA.

If you're looking at it as a collector, your point of view makes more sense. As a reader, FF 1-102 beats the first 102 JLA appearances.

Agreed, but they are both hokey for anyone that started reading comics in the late 80s! lol

FWIW, FF #1 has been a stagnating SA book for a while now, and I think that over time this trend will continue as the concept is no longer top tier fare like it was in the 60s. Back then it was innovative, but now it is a 2nd or 3rd tier Marvel title.

Quadruple ouchies. I hear the logic, but I can't get around the FF#1 being referred to as a 'knockoff' or a third tier title....no facts...just MHO about the desirability for me personally.

Whenever someone mentions the FF, I can't help but see the image of the first issue in all it's glory.

As far as getting original anythings tho, why can't I have a FF1 & BB28....& a HULK #1 + X-men #1 with an AF15?

It's like Pokemon...you've gotta get them all bro. :)

You can definitely have them all (thumbs u , but unless they revamp the FF franchise somehow the significance of FF #1 will continue to wane with collectors. Right now none of my collector friends under 40 collect the title. It is ASM, X-Men/Wolverine or Hulk for them.

FWIW, I am also a collector that would pay more for a Captain America Comics #1 than a Marvel Comics #1 since it has the 1st appearance of a key character rather than being the start of "Marvel" but having no other significance.

Thanks!

Tim, are you still holding onto the remaining DCs you had? If yes, any chance for a new thread showcasing them. :wishluck:

I haven`t made any significant sales since that thread. But a new thread wouldn`t be too exciting, since it would basically be an Adventure Legion thread. Plus, I wouldn`t want to post so much info about the books before I sell them. :P

Thanks!

Tim, are you still holding onto the remaining DCs you had? If yes, any chance for a new thread showcasing them. :wishluck:

I haven`t made any significant sales since that thread. But a new thread wouldn`t be too exciting, since it would basically be an Adventure Legion thread. Plus, I wouldn`t want to post so much info about the books before I sell them. :P

Understood. I look forward to when you can as it would be nice to see some more gorgeous tough to find in high grade early SA DCs. (thumbs u

Edited by kimik

On the other hand, the worst comic investments I ever made were where I was intentionally buying for investment purposes. All of my best comic investments were where I just happened to like the damn book and it then just happened to increase in value.

That's the way it is with real estate as well. If you buy a property because you like it and it's ideal for you, that's an actual fact. And chances are that you're not unique and somebody else will like it for similar reasons when you choose to sell so that you'll end up doing well on the property as an investment.

If, on the other hand, you compromise on your preferences so that you buy something that you think will appeal to the general marketplace when you sell, that's not a fact based decision. That's a speculative guess as to what others might think in the future. And that type of speculation/guessing can turn out to be very, very wrong.

If you buy what you like though, you won't go far wrong.

;)

I disagree. What makes the cover of Fantastic Four 1 iconic is that it's the first Fantastic Four comic. As a cover judged on its own merit, however, it's very ho-hum.

(shrug)