• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Zack Snyder May Direct 'Justice League':

You say that as if it`s a good thing. (shrug)

lol. I haven't "said" anything. I've just reposted what others have been saying. Although having seen the third trailer for Man of Steel I'm honestly a bit psyched for the kick-off of the new DC franchises. If the folks at WB haven't learned a thing or two from the Marvel launches that would be awful, but it's very unlikely. $ really makes people stand up and pay attention in class, WB/DC should be no exceptions.

It's quite possible that the bad press from GL and the good press from the Dark Knight trilogy has been an excellent opportunity to develop a sense about what the moviegoers truly want to see.

With $1,000,000,000.00 on the line I'd say expect great things forthcoming.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but I don't want to be one of those folks that's going to condemn the efforts before they've seen the light of day. We'll see on June 14th I guess.

Here's a link to MOS (third trailer):

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/04/man-of-steel-david-s-goyer-reddit-ama-justice-league

David S. Goyer, screenwriter for Man of Steel, took to Reddit’s r/IAmA subreddit to discuss the high stakes facing DC’s Superman reboot:

Despite basically everyone’s fears that director Zack Snyder will screw up Man of Steel, Goyer is enthusiastic about the final product. Like, to an extent that doesn’t sound like studio PR:

“Zack did an incredible job on MOS. Chris[topher Nolan] and I were both blown away by what he did. I am very proud to be associated with what he’s come up with.”

That said, he acknowledged the monumental pressure on this movie to succeed, following the Dark Knight trilogy (which he developed the story for) and Marvel’s The Avengers:

“Sure, there’s a ton of pressure surrounding Man of Steel. WB has a lot riding on it - not just the Superman franchise, but the future of DC movies. More importantly, I think Zack, myself, Henry [Cavill] — we just really want to give the fans the Superman film they deserve. The kind of Superman film I dreamed about making since I saw the first [Richard] Donner film. I HOPE people like it as much as we do. Knock on wood.”

Redditors wanted to know how Goyer would approach certain members of the Justice League if they were to get individual movies. I like the way he addressed Wonder Woman, because he touched upon the current issues but also pointed out how far we’ve come since Batman Begins in 2005:

“I think Wonder Woman is a very difficult character to crack. More difficult than Superman, who is also more difficult than Batman. Also, a lot of people in Hollywood believe that it’s hard to do a big action movie with a female lead. I happen to disagree with that. But that tends to be the prevailing wisdom. Hopefully, that’ll change in the next few years. Who should play [her]? No idea...”

As for how he would do Green Lantern?

“Better.”

Finally, he could avoid the Justice League elephant in the room no longer. It seems to be only a matter of time, since DC saw how successful The Avengers was for Marvel. Of course, that all depends on getting the right cast and crew. Goyer wouldn’t confirm rumors that he and Nolan would team up on the movie, but he did offer this:

“In order for a Justice League film to happen, MOS has to be successful. That’s up to you guys and about 80 million other people. ;)

So: Small break in the usual convo. here....

I just literally saw Iron Man 3. Not sure what to think, it certainly wasn't what I expected.

If you want to read the plot and storyline here it is:

The entire picture revolves around the "Mandarin" and the "Advanced Idea Mechanics". Basically the picture starts at a New Year's Eve party in 1999 where Tony is confronted by a character who will eventually become the head of AIM. Tony blows him off......fast forward to the present day:

Tony and Pepper are playing house, he's up to his usual schtick of being over the top and he's in the process of making the new armor respond to his thoughts. (IE-he can call the armor and control it from remote).

In the mix you have Sir Ben Kingsley playing "The Mandarin", who's not the way he's depicted in the comics....instead he's Osama Bin Laden and occasionally he takes over every television set in the world to broadcast his threats...for really no reason whatsoever. Fast forward a bit....the cat from AIM comes back to try to hook up with Pepper Potts (she's got some sort of history with the guy)........Tony gets a bit chapped, yada, yada....

Meanwhile subplot develops where living human bombs are being detonated as part of the "mandarin's" plan for world domination or whatever.

Yada, yada.....it turns out the human bombs were experimental subjects developed by AIM and apparently they're all working together for some unknown reason. Well eventually through alot of other nonsense which really isn't relevant to the story you find out that the "Mandarin" who's a real badass in the comics is actually NOT the Mandarin.....he's some ahole that AIM puts on television so they can give a face to their terrorist plots. Their goal: to Kill the president...for some unknown reasons as well.

They eventually get ahold of War Machine's armor through some other weak story twists.....and use it to kidnap the president once again for no reason other than to make a statement.

Earlier in the story Tony makes some threats to the "Mandarin" directly because of the terrorist attacks.....so his home and laboratory is attacked and subsequently destroyed......the entire remainder of the story he's working with half functional armor....and basically has to pull an A-Team by going to local stores and purchasing nick-nacks to make weapons.....

Anyway, somehow at the end he calls up his armory of remote-controlled suits (like 20 of them) to save the day....kick everyone's and wrap things up.

For whatever reason he also undergoes surgery to remove the shrapnel from his heart, remove the arc reactor and move on with his life.....presumably so he can live a more normal life with Pepper......

That's about the entire flick or what I took away from it. They took a huge dump on the mythology of the Mandarin....they made AIM appear to be basically one guy with a vendetta against Tony and a hardon for Pepper. He makes people into living weapons for some unknown reason and uses the guise of the Mandarin as a facade for once again dramatic and weaksauce purposes. War machine was basically useless...and he's been renamed the "IRON PATRIOT" in red, white and blue armor.

Overall it was a weak movie......the only thing I didn't catch was the after-credit trailer Marvel has become known for....

They wasted another opportunity to bring rich characters and a strong, intelligent story to the public. They made it a soap opera between Pepper and Tony......and it was truly derivative.

There was some suggestion that Tony has been traumatized by his experience at the end of the Avengers movie where he goes into that portal to close it....he appears to have PTSD and occasionally gets like "panic" attacks when stressed. Also because his suit is mentally linked to him, when he's dreaming the suit goes nuts and attacks Pepper because his subconscious is all messed up. They could have done alot with that, but once again much was lost in the shuffle.

You'd think on the heels of all the other Marvel buildup that this would have been a better movie. I was expecting the Mandarin in full metal detail with all the rings and badassery....but I was met with fluff and nonsense.

I'm left a bit confused and disappointed.

After just seeing the serious tone of the trailers for Man of Steel and comparing it to what I just saw: I know for a fact that WB is going to roll over the prior success of Marvel like a zamboni. The directionality of the movies is completely different and I've come to appreciate the grittiness and 'reality' of the world Nolan depicted already and the apparent same world that MOS will occupy. Not that I dislike a healthy dose of humor in movies, but clearly one franchise takes itself a bit more seriously than the other. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I didn't really hate the prior Marvel stuff. IM3 however seems flat at best.

More IM3 info:

The living bomb stuff was apparently a forumla named "Extremis" that AIM had developed to take advantage of the bioelectric nature of the body and control it. Just forgot to mention it whilst ranting about the movie. :)

This is what it looked like the last time I saw it.

BB28.jpg

WOW!

How much something that would go for today's market.

Edited by vane

WOW!

How much something that would go for today's market.

In 2004 it was $60,375.00. Your guess is as good as mine in today's market with the potential for a movie on the horizon. I'd say if I owned it, it wouldn't be leaving my grip for less than $100,000.00. Honestly that may be a bit of a lowball offer as well considering how well titles such as Avengers and X-Men have done in top grades.

Since that's the highest recorded census item, a comparison to the highest graded X-men (non-pedigree to be fair) in 9.6 went for $200,000.00 in 2011. If you want the highest graded X-men 9.8 Pacific Coast Pedigree....it went for a premium price of $492,938.00 in 2012. That is probably not a fair comparison simply because of the many years of X-men movies being produced...but it gives you an idea of what the FMV COULD be.

Probably a better comparison would be The Avengers #1 which just got thru it's movie hype phase and is moving into it's next wave of interest...

In 2011 a non-pedigreed 9.6 went for $250,000.00.

For direct comparison: in November 2009 a 9.4 Avengers #1 sold for $65,100.00, whereas the Northland pedigree in 9.4 sold at $185,000.00 in October 2012.

So if I owned that comic pictured above, it'd probably be about $150,000.00 asking price by the time the movie surfaces...quite possibly alot more (200,000.00+). They certainly aren't making more of these comics....what's out there is already out there and they're being scooped up as we speak and even prior to now.

You've got roulette44 offering almost $20,000.00 for an 8.0 if it's got the right mix of page quality and appearance....with a standing offer of no less than $13,500.00 for almost any 8.0. IMO he's not some crazy that overpays for stuff, he's got an eye for value and if he's willing to pay that....it's worth obviously some amount more that makes it worth his while to pay those prices. The last recorded sale of a non-pedigreed 8.0 was in 2008 for $4575.00. The last pedigreed sale for an 8.0 was $15,000.00 in March 2013.

Next time an 8.0+ comes up for sale I'd expect it to be markedly more every month and day that elapses until said movie and potentially thereafter.

The spotlight will be on those "underrated" and "undervalued" DC offerings that seem to have been left in the dust compared to the Marvel titles that have taken off into the stratosphere. If you really wanted to score a deal on these comics it would have occurred already.....that doesn't mean you're not going to come across someone willing to take a hit on the $, but they'll be fewer and more far between in the days coming.

I just literally saw Iron Man 3. Not sure what to think, it certainly wasn't what I expected.

The entire picture revolves around the "Mandarin" and the "Advanced Idea Mechanics". Basically the picture starts at a New Year's Eve party in 1999 where Tony is confronted by a character who will eventually become the head of AIM. Tony blows him off......fast forward to the present day:

Tony and Pepper are playing house, he's up to his usual schtick of being over the top and he's in the process of making the new armor respond to his thoughts. (IE-he can call the armor and control it from remote).

In the mix you have Sir Ben Kingsley playing "The Mandarin", who's not the way he's depicted in the comics....instead he's Osama Bin Laden and occasionally he takes over every television set in the world to broadcast his threats...for really no reason whatsoever. Fast forward a bit....the cat from AIM comes back to try to hook up with Pepper Potts (she's got some sort of history with the guy)........Tony gets a bit chapped, yada, yada....

Meanwhile subplot develops where living human bombs are being detonated as part of the "mandarin's" plan for world domination or whatever.

Yada, yada.....it turns out the human bombs were experimental subjects developed by AIM and apparently they're all working together for some unknown reason. Well eventually through alot of other nonsense which really isn't relevant to the story you find out that the "Mandarin" who's a real badass in the comics is actually NOT the Mandarin.....he's some ahole that AIM puts on television so they can give a face to their terrorist plots. Their goal: to Kill the president...for some unknown reasons as well.

They eventually get ahold of War Machine's armor through some other weak story twists.....and use it to kidnap the president once again for no reason other than to make a statement.

Earlier in the story Tony makes some threats to the "Mandarin" directly because of the terrorist attacks.....so his home and laboratory is attacked and subsequently destroyed......the entire remainder of the story he's working with half functional armor....and basically has to pull an A-Team by going to local stores and purchasing nick-nacks to make weapons.....

Anyway, somehow at the end he calls up his armory of remote-controlled suits (like 20 of them) to save the day....kick everyone's and wrap things up.

For whatever reason he also undergoes surgery to remove the shrapnel from his heart, remove the arc reactor and move on with his life.....presumably so he can live a more normal life with Pepper......

That's about the entire flick or what I took away from it. They took a huge dump on the mythology of the Mandarin....they made AIM appear to be basically one guy with a vendetta against Tony and a hardon for Pepper. He makes people into living weapons for some unknown reason and uses the guise of the Mandarin as a facade for once again dramatic and weaksauce purposes. War machine was basically useless...and he's been renamed the "IRON PATRIOT" in red, white and blue armor.

Overall it was a weak movie......the only thing I didn't catch was the after-credit trailer Marvel has become known for....

They wasted another opportunity to bring rich characters and a strong, intelligent story to the public. They made it a soap opera between Pepper and Tony......and it was truly derivative.

There was some suggestion that Tony has been traumatized by his experience at the end of the Avengers movie where he goes into that portal to close it....he appears to have PTSD and occasionally gets like "panic" attacks when stressed. Also because his suit is mentally linked to him, when he's dreaming the suit goes nuts and attacks Pepper because his subconscious is all messed up. They could have done alot with that, but once again much was lost in the shuffle.

You'd think on the heels of all the other Marvel buildup that this would have been a better movie. I was expecting the Mandarin in full metal detail with all the rings and badassery....but I was met with fluff and nonsense.

After just seeing the serious tone of the trailers for Man of Steel and comparing it to what I just saw: I know for a fact that WB is going to roll over the prior success of Marvel like a zamboni. The directionality of the movies is completely different and I've come to appreciate the grittiness and 'reality' of the world Nolan depicted already and the apparent same world that MOS will occupy. Not that I dislike a healthy dose of humor in movies, but clearly one franchise takes itself a bit more seriously than the other. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I didn't really hate the prior Marvel stuff. IM3 however seems flat at best.

My skin tingles when I think about the possibility of a DC movie universe realist movie where the world is a bad place targeted towards a more adult audience. Marvel does the more kids oriented movie with funny one liners and toned down violence perfect. If DC goes about this their own way(which it seems like they are) and focuses on a depressing violent world this could be amazing.

Batman truly took off as a character when Miller and Moore gave Batman this gritty bad world to live in with DKR and KJ. If they could start to give this makeover to all the other characters the possibilities are endless.

My skin tingles when I think about the possibility of a DC movie universe realist movie where the world is a bad place targeted towards a more adult audience. Marvel does the more kids oriented movie with funny one liners and toned down violence perfect. If DC goes about this their own way(which it seems like they are) and focuses on a depressing violent world this could be amazing.

Batman truly took off as a character when Miller and Moore gave Batman this gritty bad world to live in with DKR and KJ. If they could start to give this makeover to all the other characters the possibilities are endless.

......DC has done gritty right since 1970 with GL/GA.......maybe you're right. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friened of jesus) (thumbs u

BB28.jpg

I think this cover is the most iconic cover of all of comics. :golfclap:

It's definitely up there (thumbs u

BB28.jpg

wow, surprised to hear you say that....while bb28 is cool, it wouldn't even scratch top 20 for me... (maybe top 50)

I think you're factoring In too many GA covers into the mix Rick. As far as Silver Age covers go, it's pretty iconic. Murphy Anderson really put the juice into his renderings of our heros.

BB28.jpg

wow, surprised to hear you say that....while bb28 is cool, it wouldn't even scratch top 20 for me... (maybe top 50)

+1

I think you're factoring In too many GA covers into the mix Rick. As far as Silver Age covers go, it's pretty iconic. Murphy Anderson really put the juice into his renderings of our heros.
you are correct. I was definitely considering ga covers. SA only it would likely be somewhere in my top 20! But B said "of all covers ". No where near the most iconic in that respect (to me !)

BB28.jpg

Me either.