• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Something interesting:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/09/constantine-heading-to-nbc-for-new-tv.html?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_95920

Following hot on the heels of the news about a Gotham TV series focussing on Detective Jim Gordon comes word that Warner Bros. Television and DC Comics have now reached a deal with NBC to bring John Constantine back to the screen.

According to Deadline, the supernatural detective is set to star in his own series, which will be written and executive produced by Daniel Cerone (The Mentalist), along with DC regular David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight Trilogy, Man of Steel, Batman vs. Superman). Constantine was previously portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the 2005 movie of the same name and is also expected to feature in Guillermo del Toro's planned adaptation of Justice League Dark (which may or may not ever see the light of day).

Constantine will join an ever-increasing roster of DC heroes on our TV screens, with The CW's Arrow set to begin its second season and the network also looking to spin-off a series based around The Flash.

Hi to you as well Tim :)

I notice people indicate that Foolkiller might have sold this copy too cheap. But on the other hand we don't know how he works. He clearly stated that he is not out to "max out" everything. I also assume it's most likely profits on the sale so the money earned can be invested in other books or projects(so instead of milking 20% more he buy something good). He does as well mention the possible auction fee or listing/agent fee. I would also imagine that he and the buyer will get a better relationship that will come in handy when he comes across other sweet books.

I do not speak on your behalf Foolkiller. Just thinking out loud here.

What makes me happy is that he sold it to the first of 7 possible buyers. I also like the price CC got on their 8.5.

Since I own a HG copy you might consider this bulls'it, but this does not in any way seem like a bubble to me.... Only time will tell.

Hi to you as well Tim :)

I notice people indicate that Foolkiller might have sold this copy too cheap. But on the other hand we don't know how he works. He clearly stated that he is not out to "max out" everything. I also assume it's most likely profits on the sale so the money earned can be invested in other books or projects(so instead of milking 20% more he buy something good). He does as well mention the possible auction fee or listing/agent fee. I would also imagine that he and the buyer will get a better relationship that will come in handy when he comes across other sweet books.

I do not speak on your behalf Foolkiller. Just thinking out loud here.

What makes me happy is that he sold it to the first of 7 possible buyers. I also like the price CC got on their 8.5.

Since I own a HG copy you might consider this bulls'it, but this does not in any way seem like a bubble to me.... Only time will tell.

Better to own lots of copies than one uber high grade one :baiting::)

The 8.5 sold for strong $45,504.

Damn, I remember the days when you could pick up a 9.4 for $60K.

And aman would call you a nut for spending even that much!

Good times. :cloud9:

Just saw this little dig! All in good fun right?

So here's my answer... You just about doubled your money in just under ten years.... While the other big books I DID pull the trigger on (instead of upping my heritage bids and costing one of us another 20K perhaps on the BB28) have done even better. Heck, my 9.0s are up maybe 300-500% in less time if an 8.5 is is now a reliably 40K book.

. I think you should be thanking me for bailing on the bidding instead of zinging me for being wrong.

Sorry for any "what do you collect sonny" tone in there...

I passed on your biggest book and you did very well. We both did. Nuff said.

Good times. :cloud9

So here's my answer... You just about doubled your money in just under ten years.... While the other big books I DID pull the trigger on (instead of upping my heritage bids and costing one of us another 20K perhaps on the BB28) have done even better. Heck, my 9.0s are up maybe 300-500% in less time if an 8.5 is is now a reliably 40K book.

. I think you should be thanking me for bailing on the bidding instead of zinging me for being wrong.

Sounds like both of you should invest your money in some sort of financial instrument and leave the books for collectors. Collectors still exist, don't they ? (shrug)

So here's my answer... You just about doubled your money in just under ten years....

Seven. :gossip:

Obviously I would`ve done better if I`d held on a few years longer, as I sold before the bubble on this book really started.

But as I said to another boardie recently, I may have many neuroses, but seller`s remorse is not one of them, so long as I sold a book at a price that I was happy with, which was the case here.

If a book I sold continued to appreciate after that, well, that`s actually been the history of comic collecting until very recently, and I don`t begrudge the buyer from making mroe money, nor do I get all twisted up about not having squeezed out every possible dollar.

Sounds like both of you should invest your money in some sort of financial instrument and leave the books for collectors. Collectors still exist, don't they ? (shrug)

I was a collector when I was buying all my books. But then I got sick and tired of what was going on in this hobby and sold my books.

Also, your comment to aman is completely misplaced, as by all accounts he has an incredible collection, but rumor has it that he has literally never sold a book in his life. So he is the purest of the pure collectors that you seem to think we should aspire to be.

Aw shucks. You like me, you really like me! Thanx TTH. ; )

As for never selling, I've actually been thinking of trimming around the edges a bit. Keep all the best stuff of course, but, well, there are 1000s of books I guess I am no longer in love with. Maybe i should sell here on the boards? I think I'd have to study all the rules and protocols first.... To do it right.

Also, your comment to aman is completely misplaced, as by all accounts he has an incredible collection, but rumor has it that he has literally never sold a book in his life. So he is the purest of the pure collectors that you seem to think we should aspire to be.

I wasn't really directing my comment specifically to Aman and if it seemed so I apologize. Sometimes I just get tired of hearing about the financials and how much money somebody made on a book. I would love to see some scans, hear some stories about the books, how you acquired them, etc.

That would be much more interesting than how much money you made.

I wasn't really directing my comment specifically to Aman and if it seemed so I apologize. Sometimes I just get tired of hearing about the financials and how much money somebody made on a book. I would love to see some scans, hear some stories about the books, how you acquired them, etc.

I did a whole thread a while back on the various books that I had sold in recent yeras, with scans and history of how I'd acquired them.

I did a whole thread a while back on the various books that I had sold in recent yeras, with scans and history of how I'd acquired them.

Yes, I do remember that thread. You went sequentially through your DC collection. It was an excellent thread. I couldn't wait to see more as you added books. Thank you for that thread. (thumbs u

How do you folks feel about the projected trajectory of JLA1 in comparison to BB28? There'll undoubtedly continue to be bumps in prices as already evidenced....any thoughts about where it's going to settle in various grades within the next few years?

I see it similar to ASM #1 vs AF 15. Great cover on JL#1, but the one everyone wants is B&B#28. Both will hold value. JL#1 may actually be more difficult in high grade.

B&B#28, in my opinion, BOTH has a better cover and is more difficult in the higher grades...

I think you have to have BOTH. They go together like ASM 121 and 122.

Interestingly enough, the CGC census show exactly 30 books in 8.0 or higher for both BB28 and JLA 1.

Yeh, not sure how much I trust the CGC census given all of the press/resubs that have gone on over the past several years.

I'd also put "High Grade" at 9.0+. There have been 14% more JLA#1's that have been graded, yet there are 54% more JLA#1's in "High Grade" than B&B#28.