• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Ah right on, Palamas, I wouldn't fret though! That X-men is a particular book that will always be popular with or without disney.

despite that, all silver age keys are particularly hot, and have been so last 5-10 years, some would argue they've been hot the last 30 years.

But not to derail the thread, the sky is the potential with BB#28!

lack of first appearances/origins hurt BB#28 but I don't think it will matter in the long run. As long as the slab says "1st appearance of" people will treat the book like a first appearance!

More info...

A CGC-certified 9.2 copy of The Brave and the Bold #28, featuring the first appearance of the Justice League, was sold by Pedigree Comics for $120,000, a record price for the issue (cover-dated February-March 1960). ““The sale for $120,000 is a record price for any copy of Brave and the Bold #28, almost doubling the only recorded 9.4 sale (from April, 2004) of $60,375,” said Pedigree Comics CEO Doug Schmell. “The other 9.2 copy (with off-white pages) fetched $35,850 in May, 2008. This book is beginning to rise dramatically in demand, popularity and value, evidenced by the recent sales of two 8.5 examples (in September, 2013 for $45,504 and for $40,500 in June, 2013).”

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/comics-a-m-brave-and-the-bold-28-sells-for-record-120000/

Serious question. How can this sale be verified ? All I see is Doug saying he sold it for 120K. Personally, I don't believe it.

Ah right on, Palamas, I wouldn't fret though! That X-men is a particular book that will always be popular with or without disney.

despite that, all silver age keys are particularly hot, and have been so last 5-10 years, some would argue they've been hot the last 30 years.

But not to derail the thread, the sky is the potential with BB#28!

lack of first appearances/origins hurt BB#28 but I don't think it will matter in the long run. As long as the slab says "1st appearance of" people will treat the book like a first appearance!

BB28 is the first appearance of the Justice League. Not any old group of Super heroes.. Superman, Wonder-woman, Flash etc. These are all super-heroes which in their own right are very arguably historically much more important than Iron-man etc. from the Avengers, or any of the X-men.

It is also arguably the most iconic cover in comics! Now, so that noone get their panties twisted let's just say one of the most iconic. Personally I have this and AF15 fighting for the spot in the Silver Age group. But of course I know that some might say Hulk1 og some other book.

I heard the 120K private sale of a 9.2 from Doug Schmell is on GPA. I thought Doug's sales were not reported on GPA, something about Doug being selective with what he submits. Supposedly George said it was all or nothing, like Clink, and last I heard it was nothing.

Anybody know the scoop on this ?

Edited by bomber-bob

I heard the 120K private sale of a 9.2 from Doug Schmell is on GPA. I thought Doug's sales were not reported on GPA, something about Doug being selective with what he submits. Supposedly George said it was all or nothing, like Clink, and last I heard it was nothing.

It's on the GPA: Oct-06-2013 $120,000 Cert# 1198037001

Serious question. How can this sale be verified ? All I see is Doug saying he sold it for 120K. Personally, I don't believe it.

I understand that Doug has a reputation for "fluffing" prices. High ones he trumpets; low ones he trys to quietly sweep under the carpet.

:juggle:

That's comiclink, Bob, not pedigree.

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/69878/20131216/man-steel-2-batman-vs-superman-jason-momoa-game-thrones.htm

The hint was cited in an Easter Egg referenced in the "Man Of Steel" Blu-Ray Featurette titled "Learn About Krypton." The cryptic message is "We remember those who fell during the Last War...Beware Bertron's curse for he is named Doomsday."

Doomsday.jpg

That's comiclink, Bob, not pedigree.

There's a 9.2(same copy?) in the Feb CL auction.

I took a look at that 8.5 and I'm not crazy about that stamp on the cover. That being said, I wonder if it will actually sell for that $47,500 price? If it does, it would probably mean prices are still on the rise from even 5 months ago when the first of the two recent 8.5's surfaced.

I wonder if that 9.2 is going to impact the sale of the 8.5?

I don't like the stamp, either, but otherwise it's a pretty sharp 8.5.

Is it true that CGC does not ding a grade for a date stamp? Or is that only true if it is on the back cover?

-J.

Date stamps will affect the grade. All depends on the otherwise grade of the book and the type of stamp (clear/smudged/small/large/light/dark).

I wouldn't it expect it to affect the grade as much in the VF range as I could in the NM range where defects and markings carry a lot more weight.

Date stamps will affect the grade. All depends on the otherwise grade of the book and the type of stamp (clear/smudged/small/large/light/dark).

I wouldn't it expect it to affect the grade as much in the VF range as I could in the NM range where defects and markings carry a lot more weight.

I remember this being discussed on the Boards, specifically can you get a 9.8 with a date stamp. I know some examples were shown. Here is one I have in 9.8 with a date stamp.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11530&GSub=894

I don't like the stamp, either, but otherwise it's a pretty sharp 8.5.

That's way too obtrusive a date stamp for my liking, although the little ones that are just a line, e.g. 21 MAY 60, bother me not at all.

(shrug)

I remember this being discussed on the Boards, specifically can you get a 9.8 with a date stamp. I know some examples were shown. Here is one I have in 9.8 with a date stamp.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11530&GSub=894

I know that you can have a 9.8 with a date stamp.

What I don't know is if you can get a 9.9 or a 10.0

That's a question only a grader can answer as I have no experience in that area.