• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most important comicbook artist...

135 posts in this topic

I can't believe no one has mentioned Neal Adams yet. The man single handedly changed the style of comics from cartoonish to more realistic stylings.

Raymond before Adams. :sumo:

Raymond_Adams.jpg

:shy::)

Several artists influenced Adams heavily. From Raymond, to Eisner, to Fine.

Adams just did it better, and translated it to mainstream superhero comics.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Neal Adams yet. The man single handedly changed the style of comics from cartoonish to more realistic stylings.

Raymond before Adams. :sumo:

Raymond_Adams.jpg

:shy::)

Several artists influenced Adams heavily. From Raymond, to Eisner, to Fine.

Adams just did it better, and translated it to mainstream superhero comics.

No argument there. But we only get one pick. :foryou:

:gossip: Foster before Raymond ...

Overall I am surprised by how little voice is given to Eisner.

I think Eisner gets more credit as a storyteller (at least in terms of his criticality to the development of the medium) vs as an artist which was still a little cartoony vs the direction os realism we see from some of the other icons mentioned.

Ah, but to me, that's the difference between an artist and a comic-book artist. A comic-book artist MUST be able to tell a good story sequentially. Haven't read enough Adams to know how good he was at that.

Adams used to be exceptionally good at story flow, background detail, etc. He was very, very good. Takes alot of shortcuts these days and seems to try to draw a more dynamic style.

I think he was better when inked by Giordano too.