• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

Congrats to Matt on the deal...look forward to getting everything done on one ticket!!

OMG are you referring to the obvious fact that nothing has changed in the hobby besides Matt's address. :fear:

One sane boardie. :takeit:

I agree. Nothing has changed. CGC still has ridiculous turn around times which now will only get worse.

Oh yeah, and now they prefer to get books pressed by a certain company that they "aquired" because that makes them more money.

"This acquisition strengthens CCG’s commitment to promoting the comic collecting hobby and enhancing the collecting experience by offering a streamlined submission experience and a suite of services that is a win/win for both collectors and dealers. Customers who wish to send books to Classics Incorporated will be able to have them transfer directly to CGC for grading – creating a synergistic relationship similar to other CCG member companies. This efficient process saves customers time, shipping and insurance expenses".

Can someone please make me understand why anyone on the boards is number one shocked by this decision and number two perceiving this as a conflict of interest? (shrug)

If anything this should make the Matt haters (you know who you are :baiting: ) happy that he now cannot sell anymore on eBay starting in February.

What has changed in the hobby besides CGC along with Classic Incorporated doing what every other corporation tries to accomplish which is finding new ways to make more money.

Now minor details later to come would be is Matt and his employees going to be working in the CGC office (assuming he might be) or a business suite near by for easy transport of his orders to CGC for grading.

CGC has streamlined this OPTIONAL service. Why are you guys so upset?

It is a convenient way for a customer to take care of their books with that optional service in one shot while only having to ship their books to one place rather then risk more book damage during multiple shipments. Yes of course the obvious CGC makes more money!

Matt (Classic Inc.) has been doing this for years now. It wasn't a conflict of interest before just as many of you have used Matt's services in the past so why would it be a conflict of interest now? Since Matt will no longer be allowed to sell comics then I would dare to say this is very much quite the opposite effect then, no?

Matt and the graders have zero conflict in this process just as they did when he was in Texas.

All the anti-pressers for years have been yearning for the comic community to educate and make pressing less secretive. Ironic still the man so many of you and moan about has been the BIGGEST educator about pressing in the hobby in the modern age.

Here are the only relevant questions I feel one might want to know as as dealer/colelctors:

Will collectors/dealers get 10/20% off Matt's pressing services now? (assuming restro will not be discounted)

Will Matt's pressing prices remain the same or go up now that he is linked CGC?

All that has changed is you now have the option (again option) to either submit your book status-quo or pay extra to have them pressed/restored prior to grading.

Holy mother of god....this hobby is over. :eyeroll:

Hearing the word shocking as it pertains to this business joint venture is definitely not a word that makes sense to me.

I am still going to send Matt the same books I did before February 1st, and I will still send Joeypost the same books I always send to him.

Status Quo for me as per usual (Yes Bob/Foolkiller gym and the beach).

Besides congratulations to Matt Nelson there really isn't anything else I have an opinion on concerning this announcement. Good for you Matt and Good Luck!

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

"This acquisition strengthens CCG’s commitment to promoting the comic collecting hobby and enhancing the collecting experience by offering a streamlined submission experience and a suite of services that is a win/win for both collectors and dealers. Customers who wish to send books to Classics Incorporated will be able to have them transfer directly to CGC for grading – creating a synergistic relationship similar to other CCG member companies. This efficient process saves customers time, shipping and insurance expenses".

Can someone please make me understand why anyone on the boards is number one shocked by this decision and number two perceiving this as a conflict of interest? (shrug)

If anything this should make the Matt haters (you know who you are :baiting: ) happy that he now cannot sell anymore on eBay starting in February.

What has changed in the hobby besides CGC along with Classic Incorporated doing what every other corporation tries to accomplish which is finding new ways to make more money.

Now minor details later to come would be is Matt and his employees going to be working in the CGC office (assuming he might be) or a business suite near by for easy transport of his orders to CGC for grading.

It is a convenient way for a customer to take care of their books with that optional service in one shot while only having to ship their books to one place rather then risk more book damage during multiple shipments. Yes of course the obvious CGC makes more money!

Matt (Classic Inc.) has been doing this for years now. It wasn't a conflict of interest before just as many of you have used Matt's services in the past so why would it be a conflict of interest now? Since Matt will no longer be allowed to sell comics then I would dare to say this is very much quite the opposite effect then, no?

Matt and the graders have zero conflict in this process just as they did when he was in Texas.

Matt will continue what he does best, and CGC will continue to grade your books after the services you requested are done.

All the anti-pressers for years have been yearning for the comic community to educate and make pressing less secretive. Ironic still the man so many of you and moan about has been the BIGGEST educator about pressing in the hobby in the modern age.

Here are the only relevant questions I feel one might want to know as as dealer/colelctors:

Will collectors/dealers get 10/20% off Matt's pressing services now? (assuming restro will not be discounted)

All that has changed is you now have the option (again option) to either submit your book status-quo or pay extra to have them pressed/restored prior to grading.

Hearing the word shocking as it pertains to this business joint venture is definitely not a word that makes sense to me.

I am still going to send Matt the same books I did before February 1st, and I will still send Joeypost the same books I always send to him.

Besides congratulations to Matt Nelson there really isn't anything else I have an opinion on concerning this announcement. Good for you Matt and Good Luck!

Every company needs to find new ways to make money and improve their business. I'm in complete agreement with you there.

My question is: How the hell will this improve turnaround times? and why aren't CGC addressing this FIRST instead of buying out a company to make more money?

CGC wrote a post on this here forum about 3 months ago promising that they were doing all they could about turnaround times and they were embarrassed about making people wait. Guess what? that was a load of BS. CGC doesn't care about making us wait FULL STOP. If there was legitimate competition they would have addressed the turnaround times first but they know that they don't need too. They have a monopoly and the cash will keep rolling in. Even more so now....

To be impartial, CGC should have NOTHING to gain from the results of their grading in any manner. Now their sister company will be gaining revenue from books that may have the possibility of gaining a higher grade from being pressed.

This does not seem to me be complete impartiality. Thus conflict of interest.

As Nick said earlier, it's those who don't want to see it, who don't see it. 2c

Matt will continue what he does best, and CGC will continue to grade your books after the services you requested are done.

Every company needs to find new ways to make money and improve their business. I'm in complete agreement with you there.

My question is: How the hell will this improve turnaround times? and why aren't CGC addressing this FIRST instead of buying out a company to make more money?

CGC wrote a post on this here forum about 3 months ago promising that they were doing all they could about turnaround times and they were embarrassed about making people wait. Guess what? that was a load of BS. CGC doesn't care about making us wait FULL STOP. If there was legitimate competition they would have addressed the turnaround times first but they know that they don't need too. They have a monopoly and the cash will keep rolling in. Even more so now....

As stated many, many times. The best and most qualified graders they can hire already make too much money being dealers. So finding that same caliber candidate with little or no experience grading that wants to sit day in and day out grading other people's comic books is challenging in conjunction with a competitive salary.

CGC's turn around time is of course terrible. It actually is hurting dealers as well. Longer it takes to get your books back the longer you can;t sell the book.

Trust me it sucks, but it is not for lack of effort on the graders work ethic that they have now. They are working 10 hours days plus Saturdays.

There is nothing we can do, but for the time being either fast-track your books or sit and wait. (shrug) Their current turn round time is just that current.

To be impartial, CGC should have NOTHING to gain from the results of their grading in any manner. Now their sister company will be gaining revenue from books that may have the possibility of gaining a higher grade from being pressed.

This does not seem to me be complete impartiality. Thus conflict of interest.

As Nick said earlier, it's those who don't want to see it, who don't see it. 2c

So what is changing then coming February 1st?

If anything they get less crack/press resubmissions then.

They are offering another service so again please explain to me what you said in bold.

If a CGC grader grades a book after February 1st pressed or not what is difference from today or this time next year?

Thousands of comic books have been pressed then graded by CGC graders.

I wouldn't even care if Paul Litch received my book, pressed it himself, graded it, encapsulated it, and shipped it to my house. How is there an impartial gain here? They can't sell comic books so who cares.

Now I will give you that CGC does gain something impartially from grading, but that has been happening since day 1. The insurance values they assign. Why isn't that the main gripe? That is how they make their money from he tiers of course.

That is the biggest joke going.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

As stated many, many times. The best and most qualified graders they can hire already make too much money being dealers. Pay them more - a lot more So finding that same caliber candidate with little or no experience grading that wants to sit day in and day out grading other people's comic books is challenging in conjunction with a competitive salary.

CGC's turn around time is of course terrible. It actually is hurting dealers as well. Longer it takes to get your books back the longer you can;t sell the book.

Trust me it sucks, but it is not for lack of effort on the graders work ethic that they have now. They are working 10 hours days plus Saturdays.

I know that CGC works their staff hard - again is it helping with turnaround times?

There is nothing we can do, but for the time being either fast-track your books or sit and wait. (shrug)

Fast track is falling behind now and it's only matter of time before that's on 30 days

Their current turn round time is just that current.

I know that both of us are on the same page regarding current turnaround times. This doesn't help and there are no solutions other than another grading company starting up in opposition to CGC.

What's the other solution?

I know that both of us are on the same page regarding current turnaround times. This doesn't help and there are no solutions other than another grading company starting up in opposition to CGC.

Have another vodka on the rocks, and wait. (shrug)

The only turn around time I want to know is when will Andy Reid finally be fired as the Eagles head coach. I have been waiting on that for 100000000 days. I wish I could fast track his fat arse out of my city. :censored:

The only turn around time I want to know is when will Andy Reid finally be fired as the Eagles head coach. I have been waiting on that for 100000000 days. I wish I could fast track his fat arse out of my city. :censored:

OK I'll take your advice but It'll be a scotch instead of vodka (thumbs u

This is the penultimate pressing thread.

Another floating doo doo in the CGC board's pool. :lol:

Have a few scotches, and laugh a little. They're just comics.

For the most part comics that had a little value of less than a dollar until someone put a 9.8 or sig on them. Think about it,as most bronze, copper and modern comic book books valued at nm in Overstreet go for a few dollars at best in nm, but when you put that 9.6 or 9.8 label on them, then the value goes up significantly or if the 9.8 doesn`t work, then add a sig as well for the book to have some value.

It`s all about artificial value created for the majority of these comics because if you took off that 9.8 or it didn`t get that sig with someone witnessing it, then the nm comic reverts back to being worth to less than a dollar.

Myself from now on I am sticking to just golden age and silver age comics to be certified,as the rest of the market just doesn`t seem like a good bet, unless they are super uber keys.

Who cares if I get the latest issue of the Image hot comic book in 9.8 and sig if everybody else has one as well? Where is the future value in that? It reminds me of the Franklin Mint and the manufacturing of collectibles.

:screwy:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

OK I'll take your advice but It'll be a scotch instead of vodka (thumbs u

Short-term I would suspend Fast Track service till they are caught up.

For the most part comics that had a little value of less than a dollar until someone put a 9.8 or sig on them. Think about it,as most bronze, copper and modern comic book books valued at nm in Overstreet go for a few dollars at best in nm, but when you put that 9.6 or 9.8 label on them, then the value goes up significantly or if the 9.8 doesn`t work, then add a sig as well for the book to have some value.

It`s all about artificial value created for the majority of these comics because if you took off that 9.8 or it didn`t get that sig with someone witnessing it, then the nm comic reverts back to being worth to less than a dollar.

Myself from now on I am sticking to just golden age and silver age comics to be certified,as the rest of the market just doesn`t seem like a good bet, unless they are super uber keys.

Who cares if I get the latest issue of the Image hot comic book in 9.8 and sig if everybody else has one as well? Where is the future value in that? It reminds me of the Franklin Mint and the manufacturing of collectibles.

You post like a guy who has no interest in modern comic books and yet you post in the modern forums regarding your speculation "picks" and must buys. Which side of the fence do you sit on? It's fine to act high and mighty but you do realize that we can search your previous posts right? Like this one today...

My pick

Get them now because later you will be paying double cover for them.

boderlandsorigins01-previewcovajpg-5a7e2f_640w.jpg

You post like a guy who has no interest in modern comic books and yet you post in the modern forums regarding your speculation "picks" and must buys. Which side of the fence do you sit on? It's fine to act high and mighty but you do realize that we can search your previous posts right? Like this one today...

My pick

That wasn`t a comic book that I would get slabbed. I will only get gold and silver age comic books certified,as it would be ridiculous of me to get a modern comic book like Borderlands or it`s similar kind pressed into a 9.8 or sig.

A Borderland #1 pressed into a cgc 9.8 with a sig would be the perfect example of the manufacturing of collectibles.

Thanks for pointing this out. (thumbs u

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

My pick

That wasn`t a comic book that I would get slabbed. I will only get gold and silver age comic books certified,as it would be ridiculous of me to get a modern comic book like Borderlands or it`s similar kind pressed into a 9.8 or sig.

Thanks for pointing this out. (thumbs u

Fair enough. I can see where you're coming from (thumbs u

Congrats to Matt on the deal...look forward to getting everything done on one ticket!!

OMG are you referring to the obvious fact that nothing has changed in the hobby besides Matt's address. :fear:

John, I think what concerns people is the fact that this is now a service CGC has added because they want to make more money. They want a piece of that pie. Having said that I would expect the rates to probably increase from what ever rate Classics is currently charges.

Back to the conflict: It's logical to think if CGC is going to sell you a service for $xx.00 that will suppossedly improve your potential grade they will want you to see results for that service. Otherwise, why would you continue to buy it? With that in mind, I can see how people would be concerned that every book psssing through the new on site upgrade department will not be looked at with the same scrutiny as a book that has not....tweeners will certainly get the bump.

Basically, there will be an incintive for books pressed there to get a better grade. That incintive being repeat business.

I'm sure CGC will say graders still will never know which books have or have not undergone the in house pressing, but people outside of CGC are understandably have their doubts.

As far as turn around times, I've heard complaints that Classics takes a while as it is. I would expect customers that want the "works" will simply have to wait a time similar to what the combined time of the individual companies totals now...or more.

Edited by MCMiles

John, I think what concerns people is the fact that this is now a service CGC has added because they want to make more money. They want a piece of that pie. Having said that I would expect the rates to probably increase from what ever rate Classics is currently charges.

Back to the conflict: It's logical to think if CGC is going to sell you a service for $xx.00 that will suppossedly improve your potential grade they will want you to see results for that service. Otherwise, why would you continue to buy it? With that in mind, I can see how people would be concerned that every book psssing through the new on site upgrade department will it be looked at with the same scrutiny as a book that has not.

Basically, there will be an incintive for books pressed there to get a better grade. That incintive being repeat business.

I'm sure CGC will say graders still will never know which books have or have not undergone the in house pressing, but people outside of CGC are understandably have their doubts.

As far as turn around times, I've heard complaints that Classics takes a while as it is. I would expect customers that want the "works" will simply have to wait a time similar to what the combined time of the individual companies totals now...or more.

Let John rant a bit longer please. :baiting: