• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What The ?

95 posts in this topic

Oh, one other thing: I did a search on the "sort code" he provided to me (along with his bank account number).

Sortcode : 60-17-17

Company name : NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK PLC ( Ramsgate )

Address :

Ramsgate, High Street

Chatham Customer Service Centre

Western Avenue

Waterside

Chatham Maritime

Chatham

Kent

ME4 4RT

I have their phone number and his bank account number.

Well played that man !

This is a great example of why I love this small community, looking out for each other !

Now, I happen to live about a 1+ 1/2 hour drive from Ramsgate, if I had his address I could knock on his door for a cup of tea and a chat.... :)

Just entered a quick google search with the bare bones of the info we have and this popped up:

Christian James Howard

Class of 2006

Chatham House Grammar School for Boys

Ramsgate, Kent, United Kingdom

this info is from:

http://namesdatabase.com/people/HOWARD/CHRISTIAN%20JAMES/22870678

wouldn't want to stake the farm on it, but there are some coincidences regarding name and location. I dare say that with some more digging more info would appear. I won't pursue it as it could become a witch hunt with the wrong guy in the sights!

The internet certainly makes the world a tiny place! (especially if your a scammer)

While I applaud what you did to end the listing, I myself wonder if these posts amount to a public admission of fraud on your part. I urge caution, although I am a psychologist and not a lawyer. Again, I think what you did was good but you know what they say about good intentions.

While I applaud what you did to end the listing, I myself wonder if these posts amount to a public admission of fraud on your part. I urge caution, although I am a psychologist and not a lawyer. Again, I think what you did was good but you know what they say about good intentions.

This was fraudulent the same way a plainclothes police officer posing as a con man is fraudulent in catching a criminal. i.e. not fraudulent at all.

Just because lies are told in order to trap a crook doesn't mean the liar's pants will actually catch fire.

Not concerned. I would have been completely thrilled to pay $15k for that cover if it had been legit. If he were to pursue it, he'd have to admit his own fraudulent listing, and the lies in his messages to me. I was also careful not to post his personal info here... Not that he gave me any, other than his bank account number. The rest was fiction.

Not concerned. I would have been completely thrilled to pay $15k for that cover if it had been legit. If he were to pursue it, he'd have to admit his own fraudulent listing, and the lies in his messages to me. I was also careful not to post his personal info here... Not that he gave me any, other than his bank account number. The rest was fiction.

sounds good. I am not trying to stir the pot, just making sure you thought it through and you seem to have done so. Don't forget ebay, they are an interested party as well. And his listing was darn misleading but accurate with that one mention in the first sentence of it being a print. Again, good job...I would just be a bit more quiet. Your mileage may vary of course. Everyone is happy you did what you did, and I think next time you get a pass and it is someone else's turn.

His listing wasn't accurate at all. It said the art was signed by McFarlane. It wasn't. And it said it was from the Shamus Modern Masterworks Collection. It wasn't. The real art was from that collection. His print isn't.

okay. that is fine. You are right. He took the description from heritage and tossed in the word "print", I get that. I just think that impartial people, or ebay's lawyers perhaps, would not like either the seller or bidder here. They would see the seller for what he is, a thief, but I would think they may have a problem with someone stating on a message board their intent to create a false id and bid up an item with the intention of not paying for it. I may be waaaay off base here, I understand, but as I said earlier I would urge you to considered your actions carefully. You may be smarter than me on this one, no problem, and if so forgive my intrusions. I like to discuss/argue, so here it is. :D I think I have made my point, as erroneous as it may be, so I won't try to debate it further.

Again, good job.

...but I would think they may have a problem with someone stating on a message board their intent to create a false id and bid up an item with the intention of not paying for it.

I do appreciate what you're saying. However, I want to make it clear that I didn't state that I created a false ID, nor did I state that I bid up the item with the intention of not paying for it. I created that Ebay ID three and a half years ago... I've just never bid on anything with it until now. And I had every intention of paying for the item if it was as advertised: from the Shamus Masterworks Collection, with McFarlane's signature on it.

It was the seller who decided not to sell to me, not the other way around. I simply pointed out that the address he gave me was wrong, and that the cover art sold on Heritage 2 days before his auction started. After that, he stopped communicating with me and relisted his auction. I stated my intention to pay for the item in messages to him a few times after that... provided it was legitimate. He didn't reply.