• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What The ?

95 posts in this topic

I think one of us should do what Big John is suggesting. Win the auction and waste this $#%%# time.I would do it but dont want to get a negative. Thinking of creating another account and do it on that. What do you guys think?

Matthew

You should create another account to bid.

Buyer's can't get a negative so no worries if you win and waste his time. However, sellers can file a non-payment report to ebay and after 2 or 3 of those ebay will suspend your account. If its a new account, then who cares.

Lets just hope he doesn't make second chance offers to underbidders.

I think one of us should do what Big John is suggesting. Win the auction and waste this $#%%# time.I would do it but dont want to get a negative. Thinking of creating another account and do it on that. What do you guys think?

Matthew

You should create another account to bid.

Buyer's can't get a negative so no worries if you win and waste his time. However, sellers can file a non-payment report to ebay and after 2 or 3 of those ebay will suspend your account. If its a new account, then who cares.

Lets just hope he doesn't make second chance offers to underbidders.

The non-paying bidder count is much higher than 2-3. I know guys with nearly 30 strikes and still have an account on ebay. I actually wish it was 2-3, seems every 10-15 sales I get burned on by a buyer.

It IS a nice print!

I bought a Mike Vosburg print of a nude years ago thinking it was OA. I thought the low price was for the nude aspect but when it arrived I realized my mistake.

Can you imagine the what the buyer is going to feel when (s)he find out it really is a print and they can't get their money back?

Ouch!

I can't speak for the rest of you, but I'd have a hard time explaining that to my wife.

Seeing that this is still up makes me quite curious what eBay's threshold is for pulling something? I know I reported it and it sounds like quite a few other people did too...yet here it is still. Considering how quickly they pull some auctions I'm surprised that they let something like this through at such a big ticket price and so many red flags...

Seeing that this is still up makes me quite curious what eBay's threshold is for pulling something? I know I reported it and it sounds like quite a few other people did too...yet here it is still. Considering how quickly they pull some auctions I'm surprised that they let something like this through at such a big ticket price and so many red flags...

ebay usually pulls it fast if someone authorized reports it (e.g. the copyright holder) sometimes (usually?) they ignore complaints from the general public (unless it violates their policy or has nudity)

If they haven't pulled it by now they won't pull it.

However, people here did talk about creating new accounts to win it, and I see a 0 feedback user in the running. If one of us does win it, and stalls long enough (lots of talk, say the cheque is in the mail, etc) the seller would have to pay final value fees to ebay! (capped at $250, but it would still be neat if they had to pay that up front). That would be the ultimate way to get back to the fradulent seller!

Malvin

PART 1... enjoy...

------

To: corporal_beevers

Subject: christianhoward3991 sent a message about Todd McFarlane Batman #423 Cover Art (1988) #181027813355

Sent Date: Nov-24-12 17:44:19 PST

Dear corporal_beevers,

Congratulations on winning. Our preferred payment method is direct bank transfer as this payment would exceed our annual paypal limit. We do have other methods available. Please respond asap.

- christianhoward3991

Todd McFarlane Batman #423 Cover Art (1988)

Item Id: 181027813355

End time: Nov-24-12 16:39:06 PST

Seller:

christianhoward3991 (34)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Member since Nov-07-12 in United Kingdom

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was closed.

----------------

To: christianhoward3991

Subject: Re: christianhoward3991 sent a message about Todd McFarlane Batman #423 Cover Art (1988) #181027813355

Sent Date: Nov-26-12 10:45:48 PST

Dear christianhoward3991,

Hey bud.....so stoked to win this! sorry it took so long to message you but I don't get to use a computer very much.....in the Canadian Forces and stationed in Afghanistan right now.....doing troop trainign...anyways I get a message from my wife,she saw your auction and knows how much I like mcfarlane and so she used my ebay account to bid.....can't believe i won.... bank transfer is gonna be hard cause of where i am but send me your bank info anyways just in case i can swing it....... any other way to pay? let me know.. im good for it but its gonna be 3 or 4 days before i can get on a computer again......

Cpl Andrew Beevers

----------------

Subject: Re: christianhoward3991 sent a message about Todd McFarlane Batman #423 Cover Art (1988) #181027813355

Sent Date: Nov-26-12 11:40:56 PST

Dear corporal_beevers,

Bank Transfer or Bitcoin. Both require internet.

Payee:

MR C HOWARD

Sort code:

60-17-17

Account number:

XXXXXXXX (I removed his bank info for the purposes of this post)

Payment details:

Amount:

US $15,100.00

Let me know if you have any preferred payment methods.

- christianhoward3991

----------------

Sent Date: Nov-28-12 16:17:18 PST

Whats bitcoin??? Never heard of it.....can't do bank transfer from here...forces firewall wont allow it. PayPal no good for you??? Where are you located? UK? Thanks bud......Cpl Andrew Beevers

----------------

Sent Date: Nov-29-12 06:45:26 PST

Dear corporal_beevers,

I am UK yes. I could do paypal, let me know if there is anything else you would prefer

- christianhoward3991

----------------

...to be continued

Part 2...

----------------

Sent Date: Nov-29-12 09:20:19 PST

Hey bud good news,,,,,i get leave soon and we are going to the uk... gonna be there for a week starting next saturday and i can definitly come and give you cash in person and get the cover from you.... cdn forces will give me transport to wherever i need to go.....whereabouts are you in the uk? let me know

Cpl Andrew Beevers

----------------

Sent Date: Nov-29-12 09:54:19 PST

Dear corporal_beevers,

I am in the south east of england.

- christianhoward3991

----------------

Sent Date: Nov-29-12 11:25:05 PST

your a man of few words....lol!!!! ok, im flying into london and can get to southeast no problem probably on december 9, 10 or 11... give me more info on where you are and what day is good for you..... im leaving tonite for training mission here....back in 2 days

Cpl Andrew Beevers

----------------

Sent Date: Nov-30-12 13:01:45 PST

Dear corporal_beevers,

I am leaving to Australia for my Christmas Holiday next week. If you are able to pay through Paypal instead, I can post it out before I leave. Let me know.

- christianhoward3991

----------------

Sent Date: Nov-30-12 20:40:27 PST

Hey I dont want to wait that long cause if you mail it i wont see it for months until i get home next spring......ive got cousins in england near Canterbury....if youre in s/e UK it must be near you.....i checked and he said he can pick it up from you any time,,,,,he can do it on sunday or monday and he will pay cash...then i can pay him back when i see him next wekend.....that way i get to see the cover when i visit him and then i will ship it back home to canada... so bud,,,,where and when can he meet you??? lets make it happen!!!!!!

Cpl Andrew Beevers

----------------

Sent Date: Dec-01-12 08:34:20 PST

Dear corporal_beevers,

Canterbury is great. Where abouts in Canterbury does he live. I can travel there any weekday.

- christianhoward3991

----------------

...to be continued

Part 3 of 3...

--------------------

Sent Date: Dec-01-12 09:02:35 PST

Excellent!!!! hes outside town on hardes ct rd....not sure about street number......or spelling!!! lol!!! anyways i will send him a message and get the deets for you...... but ive got to tell you something really great,,,,you know im from canada.....well my wife is from calgary and she knows mcfarlanes family....she grew up down the street from them..so she sent got in touch and told them we won this cover art....and they connected her with todd and hes excited to see the cover too....he hasnt seen it in years...I think he sold it years back at a con....cool eh???.....so anyways I am gone again for 2 days and will check in then and give you the street info for my cousin...hes a big comic geek too and is happy to do this for me...he has some original comic art too way better than mine.....he really knows his stuff.... Later bud,,,,,Cpl Andrew Beevers

----------------

Sent Date: Dec-01-12 10:48:25 PST

Dear corporal_beevers,

Great, let me know when you get the address sorted.

- christianhoward3991

----------------

Sent Date: Dec-01-12 12:06:16 PST

hey,,,,a qucik one before ive gotta shut things down tonight...heard from Aiden my cousin...he says "no go"..he wnats to come to your place to do the deal...he says i need to get your address and contact info.....he says i wouldnt buy a rolex from someone i just met on the street so why would i buy a 15K art from someone i dont know and have no idea how to contact??? im glad i got him looking out for me lol!!....so send me your info and when he can come by next week.....ill check back in on monday ....thanks bud!!!!! Cpl Andrew Beevers

----------------

Dear corporal_beevers,

Sure, it is: 15 Netherhall Gardens, Hamstead, London, NW3.

- christianhoward3991

----------------

Sent Date: Dec-03-12 02:11:16 PST

hey,,,,,,a couple of things...first I sent your address to aiden and he looked you up.....theres no place called hamstead but there is hampstead with a P.....seems weird to us that you dont know your own address...and second and more important aiden did some googling and learned that the mcfarlane cover sold for 70000+ at an auction in the usa like 2 days before you listed it on ebay....so how is it possible that you have it now and why would you sell it for like 55000 less than you paid.....makes no sense bud.......makes me think somethings not right here ....so explain and prove us wrong.......Cpl Andrew Beevers

----------------

Unpaid item case opened for Todd McFarlane Batman #423 Cover Art (1988)

Sent: Dec-03-12 10:22 AM

eBay eBay sent this message to Andrew Beevers (corporal_beevers).

Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Payment must be sent immediately

Hi Andrew,

We have opened an unpaid item case for Todd McFarlane Batman #423 Cover Art (1988).

If payment isn't received by Dec-07-12, the seller may withdraw from the contract and you would no longer be entitled to receive this item. Additionally, an unpaid item may be recorded on your account, which could lead to your account being suspended.

If you've already paid and think payment should have been received by now, please contact eBay Customer Support.

----------------

Sent Date: Dec-03-12 10:46:33 PST

hey bud what the heck???? i ask you a question and you open an upaid item dispute???? im totally good for this......i'll pay you but you gotta admit it sounds fishy....so all im asking is if this is the legit original cover art drawn by mcfarlane and his real signature....or is it a copy????? answer the question bud!!!!!

----------------

Sent Date: Dec-03-12 13:38:20 PST

well i guess since you cant be bothered answering me that says it all....and youre sellng a fake and not the real cover art......real nice bud.....trying to scam me,,,,,,,anything you want to say before i file a complaint with ebay?????

----------------

Sent Date: Dec-03-12 13:42:03 PST

hey...i sent you a bunch of messages about this but you arent answering me...i discovered that the comic art you sold me was sold on Heritage Auctions 2 days before you listed yours...so theres no way you could own it and theres no way you would sell it for 15K when the winner on Heritage paid 71K.... i asked you about this and you ignored me.... then you opened an unpaid dispute... well im not paying you for a fake... just answer my question --- is your cover art the real original art or is it a copy???

-------------

Shortly after I sent these last few messages, he relisted the cover "print".

One other note: his Ebay account says he is in Brough, Yorkshire. The listing says he's in Margate, Kent. And in his messages to me he said he's in "Southeast UK" and then in Hampstead, London.

Andrew (if that's your real name), you are a hero to enraged (or flummoxed) Canadians (if you're really canadian) everywhere. That might be the best thing anyone has ever done. Exceptionally well-played. You got every detail right -- fantastic.

Glen (in AWE) Gold