• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Desert Wind Comics mail in submission

12 posts in this topic

First Signature Series Submission

I was curious if anyone has every mailed comics to CGC through Desert Wind Comics. I own a few signature series books but I bought them all after the fact, I have never personally submitted a book in person or through the mail for signature series grading. I finally got a few together and was going to mail them to Desert Wind for the New Orleans convention at the end of this month for a Stan Lee signing. I called and talked to someone there to ask a few questions about the submission process. While this person wasn't necesarily rude they certainly weren't very friendly/helpful either. I was told that the books had to be there by the 16th of November to make it to New Orleans. I mailed them out the 13th via priority mail. They delivery confirmation shows them received at about 10am the morning of the 16th.

As part of the submission process they ask you to email them a list of what you are submitting and the tracking number for your shipment, and they will send you an email confirmation when they receive your books. I did all this and have never received any such confirmation. They said they would be closed after Friday, but were supposed to be open all day that day. So long story short, I'm worried that my books might be left behind or who knows where. Has anyone ever mailed books to them? What was your experience? I will say the books I submitted were very expensive and I was paranoid about them going through the mail in the first place, now I feel like I don't know exactly where they are. I feel very panicky at the moment. My tracking shows they were received, but still it would be nice to have a formal confirmation of this. And I can't call them or anything since they are closed from now til after the con which is still over a week away. Le sigh.

Someone tell me something encouraging!

See more journals by GamingEtc

After reading your journal post, I felt compelled to reply as I can directly relate to your sentiments, and hopefully even shed some light on your situation.

First of all, I want to credit Desert Wind Comics for helping me to acheive the beautiful CGC 9.8 SS books that I have showcased in my Wolverine (1988) Set, "Against All Odds!" Out of the current 24 SS books displayed in this set, 18 of them were self-submissions through Desert Wind Comics! Although I had a lot to do with the signature placement, etc., as I design "custom" signing templates for each individual book to be signed, Desert Wind has done an exceptional job in handling the books properly and ensuring that they get shipped to the CGC immediately after signing.

In addition, they would normally e-mail my CGC Invoice Numbers no later than a week after my books were shipped to the CGC for grading. Besides my Wolverine (1988) CGC 9.8 books, I have also sent in at least a dozen of other titles that were signed at various shows through Desert Wind Comics; I have been doing business with Desert Wind for approximately 1 full year now and all of my previous books were handled properly and retained their 9.8 grades. Further, all of my submissions have went extremely smoothly, at least up until The Baltimore Comic Con...

I had "9" books signed and FAST-TRACKED at the DragonCon in Atlanta, GA on September 2, 2012, and received the books on October 5, 2012! I was so excited to receive all 9 of these beautiful CGC 9.8 SS books to add to my collection, as I spent a great deal of time preparing my signing templates, etc., but it was all WORTH IT because every book retained their 9.8 grades! With this momentum, I was also anticipating receiving my 3-book FAST-TRACK submission from the Baltimore ComicCon, as this show was approximately 1 week after the DragonCon! However, after reaching out to Sharon & Chandler on numerous occasions reagrding the CGC Invoice number for my Baltimore submission, I wasn't receiving any responses, and it was starting to make me nervous and anxious! After a couple of weeks, I fiinally received a response from them and they assured me that my books were signed by the appropriate artists at the show and that my books were shipped to the CGC; they even described how beautiful Barry Kitson's signature looked on two of my books compared to Joe Rubinstein's sloppy signature on my Wolverine #30! :-) So I felt confident that all was well and like they suggested, they would provide me with the CGC Invoice Number soon.

On that note, I decided to assemble another "8-Book" submission for the New York ComicCon and made sure that my books arrived in their hands at the very last minute! I actually called them to confirm that they received my books, and it was a positive 'yes.' Like all of my previous submissions, I chose the "Fast-Track" option because I do not like to wait 3-6 months for my books to be graded, while they sit on shelves with all of the other numerous books collecting dust and just waiting to be graded by the CGC! Who knows if they get shuffled around by a careless worker, which can cause a slight dent on a corner, which could be a possible culprit of grades being reduced? All I know is that I would much rather pay the extra $10.00 Fast-Track Modern Fee per book to get my books in and out of the CGC as quickly as possible! I have had much better experiences doing so this year!

Anyway, along with my NYCC 8-Book submission, I also submitted another single book to be signed by Len Wein at the Long Beach ComicCon. At this point, I am now waiting on a total of "12" books to be graded by the CGC and still have not received a single CGC Invoice Number by Desert Wind Comics! It is now the beginning of November, and I still have not received a CGC Invoice Number for my Baltimore ComicCon submission, whereas I should have received the books in my hands weeks ago, as that show was in September and all 3 books were Fast-Tracked!

I was getting so worried and tried reaching out to Desert Wind Comics because not only was I worried that my books may have gotten shuffled around and possibly mixed up with someone elses order, I was worried that maybe they never even arrived at the CGC, since they should have been graded since I Fast-Tracked them!

Wolverine (1988) #30 has never been graded as a Signature Series up to this point, so I have been checking the CGC Census daily on this issue; therefore, when I see a Wolverine #30 graded as an SS, I would know that my Baltimore ComicCon submission has been officially graded! With countless days passing by, still...no Wolverine #30 has been graded as an SS, which now I know that if my books actually were submitted to the CGC, that they were NOT Fast-Tracked as I specifically wrote and "highlighted" on the Desert Wind submission form! The worst part is that I went out of my way to make the full payment to Desert Wind at the time (late September/early October), thinking that I would have my books in hand without having made the payment, since they were Fast-Tracked!

So after several correspondences, I finally received an e-mail from Sharon and she gave me a list of CGC Invoice Numbers-I was so excited! However, they looked a bit strange to me, because I should have only received "3," which would be my Baltimore, NYCC, and Long Beach ComicCon Invoice Numbers, but I received like 7 CGC invoice numbers! So thinking that maybe they broke up my recent submissions into several different small orders for whatever reason, after I contact the CGC directly, it turns out that those were all of my past CGC Invoice numbers through Desert Wind, in which I already received all of these books!! I was so disappointed!!

I have never had these problems and inconsistencies from Desert Wind in the past, so this was really making me feel worried and anxious to say the least! To fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I received a personalized e-mail from Chandler of Desert Wind, and he explained how they became extremely behind after the Todd McFarlane signing and that they had over 2000 books submitted at the NYCC alone! He also mentioned that the person who would normally e-mail the customers with all the CGC Invoice Numbers was out for like a month due to having a broken foot. He assured me that all of my books were signed as he personally remembered looking at the various writers and artists signing my books. Sharon, in a separate e-mail, assured me that once she gets back in the office on Monday, November 12, that she'll look into the situation with my Baltimore submission, to verify whether or not my books were Fast-Tracked etc. Considering that they may need some extra time to get caught-up on top of what they mentioned to me, I waited until Thursday/Friday of that week to reach out to them, since I did not receive a response from them, as they ensured me that I would. After 2-3 e-mails, to THIS day, Friday, November 23, 2012 I have not heard back from them!

So my friend, you are NOT ALONE on this one! I am currently waiting on the following:

Baltimore ComicCon: 3-book Modern Fast-Track

New York ComicCon: 8-book Modern Fast-Track

Long Beach ComicCon: 1-book Modern Fast-Track

I have no CGC Invoice Numbers to any of these submissions; Moreover, I should have the Baltimore and NYCC books in my hands by now. It hurts when I see books being sold on eBay in which were graded at the Baltimore & New York Comic Cons, and it makes me wonder where my books are currently sitting and what the status is on them. Were they all submitted as regular (non-Fast Track) Modern Tier submissions? Was there a major mistake/miscommunication on part of Desert Wind in which they are trying their best not to disclose? At this point I have no idea! In a previous e-mail to Sharon and Chandler of Desert Wind, I expressed how appreciative I have been of their services and for being "flexible" in working with me previously. I also explained that I am primarily looking for "consistent" communication! I just want them to follow through in terms of reaching out to me when they say they will, and at this point it has not happened! To their credit, they did thank me for my patience in this situation, but I would feel elated to actually have my CGC Invoice Numbers in hand and for them to correspond when they say they will!

I just hope that I receive some clarity soon, and that whatever it is they need to do to get organized and caught-up, that it happens very soon! I suggested in a previous e-mail, that they can send out a "mass e-mail" to their customers giving us "updates" on the submission process and if they are behind or what not. Even if we receive "something" ...some form of communication; an update, etc., I think would help alleviate some of the anxiety that we have been feeling.

All I know is that we are vastly approaching December, and I would really LOVE to have my books before Christmas time!

We can keep each other informed if we hear any further updates, and thank you for your post regarding this issue! I hope that we, and countless others receive some clarity soon!

Warm Regards,

-Professor Pecora

Thanks a lot for you information, that makes me feel better knowing that they are most likely just slammed with submissions and getting everything prepared to go to the con and the holidays and all. I will post a new entry whenever I get some confirmation on this issue, and hopefully I will be able to post some pictures of my books when they come back to me with their shiney new slabs!

Submitted through them 3 times now, about 30 books total - all previous 9.8 slabs. All came back 9.8SS but 2 which is above average in my experience for cracking, signing, and resubmitting.

Desert Wind's communication is hit and miss and I wish it was better. In addition plan on being very patient, they generally prove to be the slowest of all when it comes to getting books back but overall I can not complain about the results. They get here eventually and they always look good and have repeatedly received good grades so my books seem to be taken care of while they have them.

2c for what they are worth.

Oh don't worry.

Chandler and Sharon are wonderful fellas!

I considered them are the top notch as the authorized CGC dealers even stronger connections with Stan Lee or Todd McFarlane.

Yes, the communication is always an issue but I saw their carry-on luggages (that size is allowed for fitting in the compartment inside the plane) are full of the comic books and 7 or 8 pages of the spreadsheets with the names of the customers and books for next two or three conventions. They may have difficult time to contact with everyone from the long list.

I have them since 2010. Of course, I always contacted them for the updates and got the few relies. My books have had arrived one day early or on the deadline date. They took my books without any incident unless you were prepared them like small window on the bag for the signature and the paperwork with the payment.

You should be fine. Upon my first time with them was nervous and anxious but after that I am so used with them.

Once again, no worries. Unless they face problems, they will contact you immediately.

Michael

Chandler and Sharon are wonderful fellas!

That's the first time I've seen Sharon referred to in that way. lol