• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your Golden Age Kirby covers!

40 posts in this topic

lol easy tiger

I hope I won't offend anyone but I gotta get something off my chest that the Adventure cover above is screaming at me. Kirby covers (and art) I love. The #1 comics artist there ever was IMO. And Simon covers are pretty decent too.

But the combination of Kirby & Simon just makes me ill. There I said it! :blush:

[font:Times New Roman]I don't know Bronty, I like 'em all. I'm givin' everything here a big hand. Nice thread, Hepcat! :applause:

Speaking of hands...

CapSet6-10.jpg

poker.gif

Does this look more like a straight or Kings over Jacks to you guys?[/font]

smiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance001.gifsmiley-dance001.gif

More like a Straight Flush! ^^

I hope I won't offend anyone but I gotta get something off my chest that the Adventure cover above is screaming at me. Kirby covers (and art) I love. The #1 comics artist there ever was IMO. And Simon covers are pretty decent too.

But the combination of Kirby & Simon just makes me ill.

Interesting! In general I don't like the look of Golden Age superhero artwork because overall it's simply too crude. But the Simon & Kirby efforts are an exception. I somehow like the idiosyncratic look Simon & Kirby artwork displays.

(shrug)

But the combination of Kirby & Simon just makes me ill.

Interesting! In general I don't like the look of Golden Age superhero artwork because overall it's simply too crude. But the Simon & Kirby efforts are an exception. I somehow like the idiosyncratic look Simon & Kirby artwork displays.

(shrug)

[font:Times New Roman]The difficulty I have understanding your assertion is that GA art can't be easily generalized. There is a plethora of high quality art worthy of appreciation. Perhaps you just haven't seen enough well rendered GA art to acquire the taste! hm

We're on the same page with S&K, but it's doubtful you'll find more sophisticated cover and/or interior art at any point along the comic continuum than created by the likes of Lou Fine, Reed Crandall, Ruben Moriera, Matt Baker, Alex Schomburg, Irv Novick, Jack Cole and Syd Shores; that's just for starters.

The work of these artists is far from the exception, and excluding Matt Baker, all pre-'45 GA. Here are some random examples of their talents (wrapped in spoilers so that the focus of your thread remains on topic)...

Lou Fine:

img_Hit3_196-3.jpg

Reed Crandall:

img_Hit18_193-1.jpg

Rubimor (Ruben Moriera):

img_Hit26_165-1-1.jpg

Matt Baker:

img_PhantomLady13_090-1.jpg

Alex Schomburg:

img_HT5B85_201-5.jpg

Irv Novick:

img_Pep9_102.jpg