• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another CGC frustration

127 posts in this topic

What is my obligation in reference to disclosure? If I submitted an AF #15 to PGX and it came back as a 4.5 trimmed. Then I submitted it to CGC without sending in the label, and it came back as a Universal 4.5?

Just tell the whole story and truth? Or ignore what PGX gave it? Because no one trusts their opinions, skills or honesty anyway.

Just curious.

What is my obligation in reference to disclosure? If I submitted an AF #15 to PGX and it came back as a 4.5 trimmed. Then I submitted it to CGC without sending in the label, and it came back as a Universal 4.5?

Just tell the whole story and truth? Or ignore what PGX gave it? Because no one trusts their opinions, skills or honesty anyway.

Just curious.

When in doubt, give all the information you have to a potential buyer, and let them make the most informed decision possible.

Just curious.

When in doubt, give all the information you have to a potential buyer, and let them make the most informed decision possible.

+1

All I need is Roy to point out that the trimming might have happened during shipping, and this thread will be complete.

Don't forget there's also the possibility of it being tampered with by cracking the slab without breaking the post and switching labels.

I think this happened a lot more often than we wish to believe it did.

But in this case the "R written on the cover" proves the book and Label match

Good call. I can't read the label.

I'd submit it again. What do you have to lose at this point?

Integrity? (shrug)

I assume you're referring to resubmitting a book that's been assessed as trimmed, hoping it gets through the next time without being noticed and then selling without disclosure?

Pow.

I just had a book come back as a trimmed book that was a CPR. Not sure what CGC is seeing but it is not very reassuring that they are making up trimming or missing it the first time around.

Scary mess, man. Horror stories like these may keep me from playing the game in the more expensive range. :(

You know it's hard out here for a pimp

When he tryin to get this money for the rent

For the Cadillacs and gas money spent

Because a whole lot of bltches talkin shit

All I need is Roy to point out that the trimming might have happened during shipping, and this thread will be complete.

The trimming might have happened during shipping.

You missed it on page four.

Well you know, the inside of the CGC well is made of a biocarbonate resin, which has been known to develop a razor-sharp edge, so theoretically, it is feasible to shave just a small bit of the cover off while in transit, especially if the book is passing through customs, and its on a Friday afternoon and the racially diverse staff of the custom's office is in a hurry. I've seen it. It's real. Turkey sandwich anyone?

lol

If it was me, I might just send the book to CI to remove the trimming and see if they couldn't talk the guys down the hall into putting the book back in a blue label (again). Isn't that how it's supposed to work, you don't have to keep sending the book back and forth since they'll be right there and can keep un-restoring it until it turns up blue? (shrug)

Whoda thunk resubmittals are like a box of chocolates...up, down, purple, blue, green, yellow, you just don't know what you're gonna get! :acclaim:

I bought this beauty with the intentions to re-sub because I thought it has a shot at a 9.2

The note states "R written on cover in pencil"

Once it was cracked out of the case, I realized it was graded fairly, maybe even over graded. Since I couldnt sell it raw claiming it to be a 9.0, I had to send it in to be re-graded.

I just got the grade today - 9.0 Appearent - Cover Trimmed

This is the 3rd time I sent in a Universal Label for regrading that came back PLOD! To me thats unacceptable. What if it would have been an AF 15?? I understand I'm taking a chance on dropping a grade when I send in a re-sub, but if its in a Blue label, I should be able to be confident that its not restored. This isnt PGX!

If Ive gotten 3 out of the few hundred books Ive sent in, how many PLOD books are sitting in Universal labels??

Seeing that most of the books you crack & resub are old labels, wouldn't the likely explanation be that CGC has gotten better at detecting restoration over the years and they're now catching things they missed back then? :shrug:

Well you know, the inside of the CGC well is made of a biocarbonate resin, which has been known to develop a razor-sharp edge, so theoretically, it is feasible to shave just a small bit of the cover off while in transit, especially if the book is passing through customs, and its on a Friday afternoon and the racially diverse staff of the custom's office is in a hurry. I've seen it. It's real. Turkey sandwich anyone?

Like CGC grading, pressing, gravity, and human sexual reproduction, I find the term "racial diverse" to be quite relative. Diverse compared to whom? To the rest of the staff? To the town that staff is in? It's a tricky concept with several interpretations.

I am a Virgo.

Don't forget there's also the possibility of it being tampered with by cracking the slab without breaking the post and switching labels.

Integrity? (shrug)

I assume you're referring to resubmitting a book that's been assessed as trimmed, hoping it gets through the next time without being noticed and then selling without disclosure?

Pow.

Integrity my . The book was in a blue holder to begin with.

Depending on how much cabbage I had to eat because of a mistake that was not mine to begin with, I'd like them to have another look at it just to make doubly damned sure.

Like CGC grading, pressing, gravity, and human sexual reproduction, I find the term "racial diverse" to be quite relative. Diverse compared to whom? To the rest of the staff? To the town that staff is in? It's a tricky concept with several interpretations.

I am a Virgo.

You misspelled Virgin. :gossip:

I'm sure there are more than a few, can you tell us the date it was originally graded with the old label?

I sent in the label with the book. And the scan I have is too blurry

Looks like very old label since there's notes on it.

Probably pre-Ewert and since then CGC has probably beefed up detecting mico-trimming.

I know I'm late to the thread and somebody else probably posted this. :shy:

Integrity? (shrug)

Pow.

Depending on how much cabbage I had to eat because of a mistake that was not mine to begin with, I'd like them to have another look at it just to make doubly damned sure.

Yuh-huh. What he said.

Integrity? (shrug)

Pow.

But the mistake WAS his to begin with. When you play the game, you occasionally get burned. (shrug) Do you think he would have started a thread if the book had been bumped up to a 9.4 or up?

You also have to remember that CGC cannot be absolutely sure that the book was previously a blue label. The book was sent in raw, with the label, but CGC cannot know that it is the same book. :baiting:

Integrity? (shrug)

Pow.

But the mistake WAS his to begin with. When you play the game, you occasionally get burned. (shrug)Do you think he would have started a thread if the book had been bumped up to a 9.4 or up?

You also have to remember that CGC cannot be absolutely sure that the book was previously a blue label. The book was sent in raw, with the label, but CGC cannot know that it is the same book. :baiting:

Yes.

A sales thread. :shy: